Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Nickerson

Default Sultan Robusto

Cigar Name: Sultan Cigars
Cigar Size: Robusto, 5"x50.
Wrapper Type: Indonesian?

I read some good reviews on these boards about this cigar. Was looking forward to giving it a try. Was a nice cooler day today (about 72*) and it was a nice cool night (around 60*). I had the company of my Mother (smoking Black & Mild and drinking stout) and my Father who will also be having a Sultan cigar so generously given to us by Sultan Cigars and the infamous Ronald Shuckins (haha Ronald).

Construction: 8/10

No major issues with construction. There were a few dark spots and some slight uneven color, but no big deal. Wrapper cracked a little toward the end.

Flavor: 15/25

Flavor did nothing for me. Was just too mild and bland for me. That and the flavor profile didn't quite fit my liking. It was more nutty and woody flavor. I usually lean towards medium-full bodied cigars and Maduros. My ideal flavor profile is coffee, cocoa, spice, cedar. So maybe this cigar isn't ideal for myself. My father seemed to agree on the taste with me as well.

Draw: 9/10

Draw was excellent. Very easy, little effort needed.

Burn: 9/10

Slight uneven burn after 1/2" but corrected shortly after. Was spot on even for the rest of the way.

Ash: 4/5

The ash was WHITE. Hard to call it light gray, was pretty much white. Only problem was it had some trouble holding past 1" and flakes would fall off occasionally.

Smoke: 5/5

Smokes was fine. Nice thick white clouds.

Impression: 24/35

I hate to be a buzzkill but this cigar just did nothing for me. My father had one with me as well and he seemed to agree. Pre-light it looks pretty good, just a few minor blemishes on the wrapper, but feels pretty well built and smells good. It just really lacked in flavor for me to enjoy it.

Overall Rating: 74

Maybe its better for other peoples flavor profile, but as I said it was just way to mild and lacking of flavor for both myself and my Father. I really wanted to like this cigar, but I didn't enjoy it very much.

I think that most of the cigar market is looking for more full-bodied cigars. People like that full flavor to their cigars, as do I. But as we've all heard before, a cigar doesn't need to be full-bodied to be full flavored.

I would have a hard time pricing this as I most likely wouldn't buy it, but typically I would suggest the $4.00 - $5.00 range as there is some stiff competition of great cigars in the same price range (Padron, Oliva, CAO, etc.).

I wish Sultan cigars the best of luck. If you guys come out with a more flavorful blend (or a Maduro!), be sure to give me a shout as I would love to give it a try. Best of luck guys!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
shuckins
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (7)
shuckins is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sultan Robusto

thanks for the review cory!

want a full bodied maduro? just wait till the sultan signature comes out!!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Nickerson

Default Re: Sultan Robusto

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuckins View Post
thanks for the review cory!

want a full bodied maduro? just wait till the sultan signature comes out!!
Yes I was in contact with him via private message a while back on Puff. I apologize to him as I forget his name. Hes a very nice guy. I can't wait to give those a try. Maduro's usually have my favorite flavor profile and I typically enjoy full bodied cigars. So full bodied Maduro's are the ultimate in my book.

These did get some favorable reviews from others though, so if you do like milder cigars I would suggest checking out others reviews on these.