Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Nickerson

Thumbs up Ashton Virgin Sun Grown

Cigar Name: Ashton Virgin Sun Grown.
Cigar Size: Tres Mystique, 4.4"x44
Wrapper Type: Sun Grown.

This cigar was recently given to me in a trade with GlockG23 (thanks Bill!). I had only had one other Ashton VSG before, which was also given to me by...? You guessed it Bill. I consider myself lucky to have great friends who give me the chance to smoke these high end cigars I normally wouldn't be able to buy. My last one was the Belicoso which is a great size, I've been into petite corona's lately so this bad boy is perfect

Construction: 10/10

The wrapper looks great. A darker shade of brown, no veins, no imperfections of any kind.

Flavor: 21/25

Good amounts of flavor. Most dominate flavor was just rich tobacco, and light tastes of cedar and nuts. I would put the taste in the medium-full range. I tend to prefer the rich flavors of maduro's. The flavor in this was great, just not my ideal flavor.

Draw: 7/10

The draw was okay, nothing so special. I had a bit of tar build up about half way and more towards the end. Had to make another cut so I could draw better and then it was smooth after that.

Burn: 10/10

No issues with burn. At one point I put it down for 3 minutes and came back and it was still lit fine. Burned nice and even the whole time and didn't get hot at all.

Ash: 5/5

A nice light gray shade of ash. Ash held a little less than half the cigar before I decided to ash it.

Smoke: 4/5

Smoke was fine. It wasn't as thick and rich as I've gotten from other cigars, but still sufficient amounts. Smelled great.

Impression: 32/35

It certainly is up there with the other "super-premiums" in appearance. Looks great, smells great, feels great in your hand. I always expect a lot when it comes to these "super-premium" cigars with a price tag over $10.00. They are great, but I tend to be more of a conservative shopper since my budget is limited. I could name a dozen or so cigars I'd prefer over this cigar with half the price tag. Never the less it is a very good smoke. I enjoyed the cigar well, and it did seem to meet my expectations (just didn't exceed them).

Overall Rating: 89

An excellent cigar. I would smoke more of these regularly if the price point wasn't around $9.00+ for a petite corona. As I said the flavor profile wasn't my ideal, but was still very flavorful and enjoyable.

If you haven't tried an Ashton VSG yet, give it a try. Its a exceptional smoke and maybe the flavor profile will fit your liking even better than mine.