Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default St. Dupont lighters and Ebay

So I'm bored and it's after Christmas and I feel like buying a few lighters or just one really nice one. I never browse Ebay but I'm quite bored.

I cannot help but notice ST Dupont lighters are going for $150-$300 on Ebay all day. The obvious question, real or fake? Is the markup on most lighter selling Internet companies that much for Duponts, or are these just knockoffs?

Also I cannot help but notice a bunch of Vintage St Duponts that are 20 or years old priced the same. Are the older ones better or worse?

If they are indeed fake, or real. How would one such as myself spot the difference? Or is Ebay just not the place to buy these lighters?

/end round of 20 questions.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Trading: (37)
Montecristo
BamBam will become famous soon enoughBamBam will become famous soon enough
Default Re: St. Dupont lighters and Ebay

I have the Maxijet in matte black and love it. It's a great lighter and has been flawless for me.

If that's the model you're looking for, I would suggest ordering from Atlantic Cigar, as they are selling them for $125 and are a legit company.

BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Ask the seller if you can have a money back guarantee based on authentication of the lighter.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
Ask the seller if you can have a money back guarantee based on authentication of the lighter.
Some of these lighters right in the description is says guaranteed authentic. Although looking at the price, either these are VERY good deals or they are in fact not authentic. I've only held one ST. Dupont lighter before so I probably would not be a great judge.

EDIT I only ask because it seems the ST Dupont on ebay are at a MUCH reduced cost while the equally expensive Dunhill lighters are at much closer to retail or MSRP.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post

If it's a genuine ST Dupont, one would think that the seller wouldn't have any problem giving that guarantee.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Some of these lighters right in the description is says guaranteed authentic. Although looking at the price, either these are VERY good deals or they are in fact not authentic. I've only held one ST. Dupont lighter before so I probably would not be a great judge.
Guaranteed authentic doesn't mean anything if the fake is good and the seller/vendor is shady, nor does it mean anything if the seller is clueless. Accidents happen, they could have been taken for a ride too.

Do you have a good relationship with a tobacconist that is familiar with the brand that can authenticate for you?

Otherwise, maybe there is a guide somewhere on the internet about how to spot fakes.

Finally, if you email ST Dupont once you have the lighter, they might be able to verify from photos.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Stick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (14)
SP
Stick has disabled reputation

Some good info in this thread:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...821#post239821
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick View Post
Thanks gave that a read. I'll probably have to do some research on this but I would definitely appreciate any comments on the subject.

Or in general of what you think of the higher end lighters such as Dupont and Dunhill.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

I didnt fully read past like the 2nd post but ive bought Bulova watches(300-500 in value) new for 50bucks, expensive designer sunglasses for dirt cheap. Usually all as gifts. Only had one issue and PP fixed it for the seller

personally, I pay extremely close attention to seller rating, description and the picture. Also if it is fake. Make sure to pay with PP. Their resolution center is amazing at forcing a seller to correct things.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

[quote=Devanmc;1107377]I didnt fully read past like the 2nd post but ive bought Bulova watches(300-500 in value) new for 50bucks, expensive designer sunglasses for dirt cheap. Usually all as gifts. Only had one issue and PP fixed it for the seller

personally, I pay extremely close attention to seller rating, description and the picture. Also if it is fake. Make sure to pay with PP. Their resolution center is amazing at forcing a seller to correct things.[/QUOTE]

Good advice