Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: best scope for a S&W 460
Leupold fxII 4x28 1 25.00%
Leupold vx-3 2.5-8x32 3 75.00%
Nikon force xr 2.5-8x28 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light
Default Handgun Scopes

I've never put a scope on a handgun before so i'm looking for suggestions. It's going on a S&W 460xvr and it will be used for hunting. (hogs, deer, bear) Realistically a shot too far over 100 yards with a handgun is probably not the best shot selection, but with some (lots) of practice 150 is not out of the question. The 460 is going to pack a hell of a recoil so i'm looking at a leupold fx-II 4x28 or vx-3 2.5-8x32, i also looked at the new nikon force xr 2.5-8x28with the BDC recticle but it's so new i can't find any reviews for it. i took burris with the posi lock out of the picture because i found a dozen or so reviews on cabelas saying the recticle started spinning with the 454-460 calibers.

What would be the advantage of a fixed vs. variable scope? i under stand field of view but is one really more effective than the other? if they're both set for 4x wouldn't target aquisition be the same at that point? the leupolds run $350 and $550, the nikon $300. i have rifles scoped with both brands so i don't doubt the brands, just really wish there were some nikon reviews out there. thanks in advance for any info
rrplasencia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Handgun Scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrplasencia View Post
I've never put a scope on a handgun before so i'm looking for suggestions. It's going on a S&W 460xvr and it will be used for hunting. (hogs, deer, bear) Realistically a shot too far over 100 yards with a handgun is probably not the best shot selection, but with some (lots) of practice 150 is not out of the question. The 460 is going to pack a hell of a recoil so i'm looking at a leupold fx-II 4x28 or vx-3 2.5-8x32, i also looked at the new nikon force xr 2.5-8x28with the BDC recticle but it's so new i can't find any reviews for it. i took burris with the posi lock out of the picture because i found a dozen or so reviews on cabelas saying the recticle started spinning with the 454-460 calibers.

What would be the advantage of a fixed vs. variable scope? i under stand field of view but is one really more effective than the other? if they're both set for 4x wouldn't target aquisition be the same at that point? the leupolds run $350 and $550, the nikon $300. i have rifles scoped with both brands so i don't doubt the brands, just really wish there were some nikon reviews out there. thanks in advance for any info
Nikon is a solid choice. I use Nikons and I love them. They have a great glass and warranty. You can get pretty much the same product that leupold oppers but cheaper.

Basically, the advantage variable has over fixed is that you will be able to zoom in a bit more. There really isn't any other advantage. Depends on how far you think your going to want to shoot I suppose.

I would just throw a Nikon fixed power on it and call it good man.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
smitty81
Have My Own Room

I would go to a Cabelas or Bass Pro and compare everything you think you are interested in. Aim for a mounted animal across the store and see if you like it. Thats how I buy scopes.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
I would go to a Cabelas or Bass Pro and compare everything you think you are interested in. Aim for a mounted animal across the store and see if you like it. Thats how I buy scopes.
unfortunately i don't have a cabelas anywhere near miami, and of the 3 bass pros within driving distnce of me, not one has a fixed power or handgun scope. hell the one in the keys doesn't even have guns, cause of all the hippies. not talking about you Bill. I'm the Cuban redneck stuck in Miami.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
unfortunately i don't have a cabelas anywhere near miami, and of the 3 bass pros within driving distnce of me, not one has a fixed power or handgun scope. hell the one in the keys doesn't even have guns, cause of all the hippies. not talking about you Bill. I'm the Cuban redneck stuck in Miami.
Gotcha, that kind of sucks man.

My vote is for the Nikon.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Oh yes this brings back memories.....I vote for no scope! I have the .460 S&W mag with the 8 3/8" barrel. I first put a middle of the road red dot on it that my local gun shop promised would handle the recoil "No problem". with the first shot the red dot exploded, Quite comically actually. Then the Leupold 2.5-8 VXIII. I managed 2" groups at 100 yds with that set up and believe me I was surprised....Then hunting season.....I realize I'm packing a revolver that weighs 5+lbs....ouch.
I pulled the scope and went back to open sights which net me 6" groups. I am fine with that from a handgun.
That's my little story. I sold the scope but still have the Warne base (was 100+ dollars then) if you are interested shoot (pun) me a PM.
FWIW the 460 is a blast to shoot, I'm not a fan of mega recoil in guns but this is one that's really not that bad and worth every bit.

Also. You will never find a Nikon in my gun safes.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
Oh yes this brings back memories.....I vote for no scope! I have the .460 S&W mag with the 8 3/8" barrel. I first put a middle of the road red dot on it that my local gun shop promised would handle the recoil "No problem". with the first shot the red dot exploded, Quite comically actually. Then the Leupold 2.5-8 VXIII. I managed 2" groups at 100 yds with that set up and believe me I was surprised....Then hunting season.....I realize I'm packing a revolver that weighs 5+lbs....ouch.
I pulled the scope and went back to open sights which net me 6" groups. I am fine with that from a handgun.
That's my little story. I sold the scope but still have the Warne base (was 100+ dollars then) if you are interested shoot (pun) me a PM.
FWIW the 460 is a blast to shoot, I'm not a fan of mega recoil in guns but this is one that's really not that bad and worth every bit.

Also. You will never find a Nikon in my gun safes.
Well, with that said.............

I would think that with a gun like this with a scope or without, your not gonna just walk around in the woods looking for something to kill. Especially if your hog hunting. More than likely you will be in a tree stand or a blind with something to rest the gun on.

If you can rest it on something and steady it, you can get great groups. At least I can.

Whats wrong with Nikons? I have had one on my deer rifle for about 8 years and have never had to even adjust it. I wouldn't want anything else on it in fact.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
jluck
Way out there

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
Well, with that said.............

I would think that with a gun like this with a scope or without, your not gonna just walk around in the woods looking for something to kill. Especially if your hog hunting. More than likely you will be in a tree stand or a blind with something to rest the gun on.

If you can rest it on something and steady it, you can get great groups. At least I can.

Whats wrong with Nikons? I have had one on my deer rifle for about 8 years and have never had to even adjust it. I wouldn't want anything else on it in fact.
I'm a west coast hunter though. We go to our food instead of waiting for it to come to us (we call places like that restaurants). I put on many many miles packing a gun of choice and that's why I made my statement and did what I did. If I hunted from a stand only I would have kept my scope.
Brand preference....I live and hunt in one of the harshest environments for modern hunting optics, I say this with regards to atmospheric pressure swings that reveal cheap or inferior scopes. I have seen what works for me and the huge majority here and I go with what I trust. If you like Nikons and they work for you....great.
Also Leupold is Oregon made, They know what we need.

Thread-jack off aye?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
I'm a west coast hunter though. We go to our food instead of waiting for it to come to us (we call places like that restaurants). I put on many many miles packing a gun of choice and that's why I made my statement and did what I did. If I hunted from a stand only I would have kept my scope.
Brand preference....I live and hunt in one of the harshest environments for modern hunting optics, I say this with regards to atmospheric pressure swings that reveal cheap or inferior scopes. I have seen what works for me and the huge majority here and I go with what I trust. If you like Nikons and they work for you....great.
Also Leupold is Oregon made, They know what we need.

Thread-jack off aye?
If thats the way you like to hunt, that is fine too. I hunt like that too. I was just stating that I would not carry a handgun like that around in the woods. It's something I would use as a stationary piece. If I needed that kind of firepower on the move I would opt for a rifle.

Thread jack off?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

not really that worried about the weight for my november hunt, but it's crossed my mind plenty of times. the handgun is a better option for the bear hunt portion of my trip, we'll be using dogs and the 46" long rifle just isn't practical for some of the more heavily wooded areas while kepping up with the hounds.

I can't say i have a brand of choice (unless someone wants to throw some zeiss scopes my way)but i do prefer certain brands for certain calibers. leupold on the 375HH, nikon bucks on the 30-06 and 7mm rem mag, bushnell trophy xlt on the 300 win mag and r-15, and ashamedly the factory howa optics on my 308 but it ust happens to work really well.

you should youtube the steve scott safari hunt with his S&W 500 and the aimpoint scope, honestly i wouldn't have stood 18yds from and elephant (let alone any dangerous game) with an aimpoint scope.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Have you considered a laser Richard?
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Over the years, I've heard some people argue that with a variable scope, your point of impact can vary with the power setting. I'm not necessarily convinced that's true, but it's the argument.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of paying more for the option of being able to change the magnification of your target. Nice option to have, but you may or may not really use it.

Personally I have a Leupold 2x I use for plinking and range work. I've always been pleased with it. If I were going to set something up for hunting out to 100 yards, I think I'd go with the Leupold 4x.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I have a Leupold VXII on my rifle. I love that scope. It's well made and clarity is top notch.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
jluck
Way out there

HdM

Here's the mount I have....gasp! It's still over 100 bucks....If you want it let me know. I could do some trading too. I might still have the warne rings but I could have used them on something else by now.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/warne-ma...ame-54236.html
Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
ysr_racer

I had a Burris 4x on TC Contender Super 14 in .222

It out shot any rifle Ive ever owned. Why oh why did I ever sell it?