Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation
Default Can't we all just get along?!?!?

It took me a while to cool down and figure out how I was going to do this or even if I WAS going to do it. I learned one time never to type an e-mail or message and hit SEND while angry. So I refrained from it here and now that I've calmed down I commence.

I have tried doing some GB here on CA when I see an opportunity for all of us. I have worked with vendors on trying to get group pricing on certain products so that we may all be fortunate enough to purchase an item that at one time we might have considered too expensive now is within somewhat of reach.

Lately people have been contacting the manufacturer/distributor/vendor directly and complaining about the GB taking place. I do not know who nor do I suspect anyone. I would like everyone to be aware that by contacting them and complaining about pricing, competition, or whatever it may be, you are jeopardizing the benefits of all the members aboard CA who would like to take advantage of the opportunity.

I'm trying to keep this short and I consider us all to be ladies and gentlemen on here so I would respect the fact if so if anyone has any issues or concerns with any future GB, I'm thinking of doing a Blazer GB, please feel free to drop me a PM and address it with me personally before addressing it outside the board.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by bvilchez; 02-16-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Can't we all just get along?!?!?

I think sometimes it is retailers who can't/won't meet or beat the GB price, Jay. They fear you cutting into their profits. I have seen it at Poof more than once.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

That is sickening! I would only think it would be a competitor that complains becuase people in the group buys are usually very happy.

Tom/Mods, is there a way the retailers wouldn't be able to see group buy threads? Just throwing it out there.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

First of all - no issue here with your posting. I am a free market guy for sure.

There are a lot of B&M owners that read this and many other similar Forums and don't think for a second that some of them don't complain when being undersold.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I think sometimes it is retailers who can't/won't meet or beat the GB price, Jay. They fear you cutting into their profits. I have seen it at Poof more than once.
Agreed. I would think chances are its a retailer member here who is calling the manufacturer/distributor/vendor, rather than participating GB members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Tom/Mods, is there a way the retailers wouldn't be able to see group buy threads? Just throwing it out there.
Not that Im aware of, but we'll check into that possibility

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching

Last edited by poker; 02-16-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Isom-niac2
puff puff pass

First Name: Deano
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
Isom-niac2 is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree with the previous comment regarding how satisfied people usually are with GBs. Generally it's something we need or want at a better price point than we can usually get individually. Though I haven't been part of one you have put together, I have participated in a few on other boards and value the opportunity.

I would also tend to think it's competitors, because why else would someone complain about getting something at a better price? I do appreciate your efforts Jay!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

some people aren't happy unless they're *****ing about something and ruining the fun for the rest of the people. Oh if anyone who did this is reading this....**** you
Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Sad to read this, Jay!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
poker

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
some people aren't happy unless they're *****ing about something and ruining the fun for the rest of the people. Oh if anyone who did this is reading this....**** you
Although I understand, I dont think they're just whining or trying to ruin it for anyone. I tend to think it has more to do with them trying to conduct a business, and sometimes these group buys allow the organizer to sell something at a lower price point than the retailer can justify doing.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Old 02-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Although I understand, I dont think they're just whining or trying to ruin it for anyone. I tend to think it has more to do with them trying to conduct a business, and sometimes these group buys allow the organizer to sell something at a lower price point than the retailer can justify doing.
which is the point of the group buy in the first place. The GB price isn't permanent, they almost always have an end date and have limited numbers to them. A retailer needs to shut up, suck it up and move on with life for a few weeks till the buy ends.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

sorry to hear this happened
hope your group buy will be able to continue and those involved can still get a good deal

thank you for your work on behalf of the forum to organize and negotiate these past, present, and future
Old 02-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Yep. When this happens, if we've ever found anything out about the source, it's invariably been a retailer (or someone acting on a retailer's behalf).
Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
Yep. When this happens, if we've ever found anything out about the source, it's invariably been a retailer (or someone acting on a retailer's behalf).
That's incredibly lame if it's a B&M, because most of the GB participants are probably in other states (or countries), and wouldn't buy from them anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #14
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
That may be true, but calling the vendor and complaining about a specific group buy really does seem like they are either trying to subvert the group buy (and possibly generate some business for themselves) or trying to use the GB as leverage to get a better price from the vendor. Shady dealings from anyone who hopes to foster good will at CA.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
poker

Cohiba

Quote:
which is the point of the group buy in the first place. The GB price isn't permanent, they almost always have an end date and have limited numbers to them. A retailer needs to shut up, suck it up and move on with life for a few weeks till the buy ends.
Trust me, I understand completely.

(it was a longer post 3 different times but I figured it would be better just to keep it simple)

Old 02-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #16
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Remember everyone one can not say it is FOR SURE a vendor or retailer. For all we know it could have been a lurker who has never created an account and is seen as GUEST.

BTW I personally don't think it should get to the point where vendors/retailers can not see GB threads. I think it fosters a sense of competiveness and that's a part of business. But I'm not a Mod and they make the final decision on all matters in the Nuthouse.

Quote:
I can understand trying to conduct a business...I really do. But if you really want to move merchandise and want to get your name out there why not start by doing a GB. It moves merchandise out of your inventory, it produces some revenue(maybe not what expected but more than it did sitting in inventory) and you start being recognized in the community AS LONG AS no shady business is pulled.

Quote:
Or they can set up a GB and be the total opposite of whining or complaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscmit View Post
sorry to hear this happened
hope your group buy will be able to continue and those involved can still get a good deal

thank you for your work on behalf of the forum to organize and negotiate these past, present, and future
Thanks but this isn't going to stop me from doing a GB when possible for the BOTL and SOTL on here. I'm planning some other ones as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Shady dealings from anyone who hopes to foster good will at CA.
I agree with you 100%.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #17
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear this happened Jay.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #18
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
Remember everyone one can not say it is FOR SURE a vendor or retailer. For all we know it could have been a lurker who has never created an account and is seen as GUEST.
Can the guest account even see the cigars in motion section or the GB sub-forum?

Aren't those restricted to active members which have been granted access? Or is that just the WTS & WTB sub-forums? (ToE question there)
Old 02-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #19
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Can the guest account even see the cigars in motion section or the GB sub-forum?

Aren't those restricted to active members which have been granted access? Or is that just the WTS & WTB sub-forums? (ToE question there)
I believe you are correct, Adam.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #20
sam a
... .. .

Trading: (2)
QdO
sam a has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

i just joined here today and i cant see the GB subforum... so i would assume a guest could not
Closed Thread