Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

First Name: Ed
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
WaxingMoon will become famous soon enoughWaxingMoon will become famous soon enough
Default Folly's Tower - Reaching for the Moon - Humidor Build Thread

I have recently acquired a client that wants a humidor with rather different dimensions than what I usually build.....

I love projects like this that force me to "think inside the box"..... Man, I'm glad I never listened to those folks that told me to always think outside of the box....

At any rate.... here's what my client wanted......

A cigar humidor that is tall and opens on the front like a refrigerator..... with a stack of trays within that pull out to select his favorite stogie....... 12.5" x 12.5" x 24" tall.... Constructed from Wenge & Sapele.....

Well, my life partner, Terri.... loves to get involved and provide me with abstract ideas that she sees anywhere she sees them.... you'll know what I mean in a few short sentences....

To start things off..... I built this display case with roughly the same dimensions.... probably a little shorter than the 24..... but, generally the same.... Well, she didn't like it.... said it was too plain.

The new project will be all wood, no glass.....

My gal said she wants it to emulate a building..... if we're going tall.... she tried very hard to describe what it was that she wanted me to do.... and I, of course, was hearing something completely different... (don't ask).... Until she found some pictures of what she was trying to say.....

So, here's the first challenge that was thrown at me..... "I want the corners to look like what they did to these buildings".....

Now.... me, really not thinking before I speak.... which I often do.... nodded my head and said... "no problem, baby"....

So.... that sent me thinking..... How am I going to pull this off.... Sheesh..... looks simple enough....

Ever hear of rubik's cube.... well, anyways....

Here's what I've figured out....

Using a box joint with a 3/8" box joint/dado blade.... I first have to "box joint" in 3/4" width Wenge ends to the sapele....

(Note) Pictures are not to scale, nor a rendering of the project.... but a tool I used to figure out the cuts....