Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 01-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #1481
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
tupacboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

you think the 6 rack is overkill? will be smoking for at most 8-10 people...
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #1482
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacboy View Post
you think the 6 rack is overkill? will be smoking for at most 8-10 people...
I run the 4 rack and it has been fine for me. I have not yet had a need for more racks. I smoke for the smae amount of people as you mentioned all the time.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #1483
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I run the 4 rack and it has been fine for me. I have not yet had a need for more racks. I smoke for the smae amount of people as you mentioned all the time.
Same here. You can always buy extra trays and double up by flipping over the top tray. That's how I fit 6 4lb bacon slabs in my 4 rack Bradley.

Got a 9.75lb pork butt rubbed down and chilling in the fridge. Going to put on tomorrow afternoon to have for Sunday football. Tried something different this time by first putting a coat of yellow mustard on the pork before sprinkling the rub on. Should be interesting.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #1484
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I never liked the mustard wipe method.

Works for some people - I didn't care for it. I think it turns into an icky salty plaster bark on the outside of the meat and also serves as a barrier to the rub flavor penetrating the meat.

I much prefer to take all the ingredients found in my dry rubs, get them as their fresh counterparts and mix them with a little oil in a food processor to make a paste and smear that all over the meat (this is the only type of coating I use on my Denver ribs)

All that chunky fresh garlic, slow smoke roasted with sugar and peppers in the wet rub, oh.... delicious....
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #1485
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I never liked the mustard wipe method.
I've seen in done on TV a few times so thought I'd give it a shot. I just pulled the pork butt out of the oven. Finished in there as I'm still very leary of running my smoker unattended in the garage over night. Here's the results after 23 hours to a IT of 195F.

FTC'in for an hour or so before shredding.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #1486
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
tupacboy is on a distinguished road

holy crap 23 hrs?
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #1487
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I've seen in done on TV a few times so thought I'd give it a shot. I just pulled the pork butt out of the oven. Finished in there as I'm still very leary of running my smoker unattended in the garage over night. Here's the results after 23 hours to a IT of 195F.

FTC'in for an hour or so before shredding.

Looks tasty Bob. How did it turn out w/ the mustard?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #1488
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacboy View Post
holy crap 23 hrs?
Yikes! How big was it?
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #1489
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

The pork shoulders turned out great. This is (2) 7.5 lb Bone-In Shoulders. 16 hrs at 210*. Internal temp of 208* 60% apple, 20% Alder & 20% Hickory.
FTC for 1.5 hours. Killer bark and it just fell apart in my hands.
Sorry, not pics after pulling. I was in a rush to get this to our church function.

After the Rub of Love

In the pot ya go!

MMMMMMMMMM

I baked up a batch of 3 dozen homemade Potatoe rolls to make Lil sandwiches.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #1490
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Looks tasty Bob. How did it turn out w/ the mustard?
I honestly couldn't taste the mustard. Did make for a decent bark though all things considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
Yikes! How big was it?
It was 9.75lbs. Part of the reason it took so long was finishing in the oven. Seems my oven has a timer that shuts itself off after being on for x amount of time. I didn't notice that and the IT temp dropped from 174 to 168 at one point. I cranked the oven back up to 250ish to get it going again. If it hadn't have been so cold out, I would've done the whole time in the smoker.

What internal temp do you guys shoot for on pork butts? I've always read 195F+, but it seems that the meat comes out too done. Literally falling apart. Next time I might try 185-190 and see how I like it.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #1491
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Quote:

What internal temp do you guys shoot for on pork butts? I've always read 195F+, but it seems that the meat comes out too done. Literally falling apart. Next time I might try 185-190 and see how I like it.

For me 185-190 leaves the center still bound up and not easy to pull. I have found that around 205 to be the best.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #1492
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
For me 185-190 leaves the center still bound up and not easy to pull. I have found that around 205 to be the best.
Hmm, interesting. I've never taken one past 195, thinking it was too done at that point. I see you did the pork shoulders at 210*. Do you do the same for pork butts, or do you run it hotter?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #1493
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
About 190 give or take 5, but I also go a lot by feel if they weren't foiled at 165ish. Jam a fork or probe in there and twist or wiggle a bit; if it feels like a bowl of al dente spaghetti, it's done.

Might be worth noting though, that I usually don't cook cuts over 5-6 lbs and IIRC, my cooker runs at about 230F ish.

Last edited by T.G; 01-24-2011 at 12:06 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #1494
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Quote:
The pork shoulders turned out great.
Can I come to your house for dinner?

Looks great!
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #1495
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Quote:
Hmm, interesting. I've never taken one past 195, thinking it was too done at that point. I see you did the pork shoulders at 210*. Do you do the same for pork butts, or do you run it hotter?

Pork Shoulder / Pork butt, same.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #1496
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Pork Shoulder / Pork butt, same.
Duh! For some reason I was thinking of a different cut. With your temp at 210, you're able to get to a IT of 208?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #1497
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Quote:
Duh! For some reason I was thinking of a different cut. With your temp at 210, you're able to get to a IT of 208?

Ya. I have a foil wrapped brick and a full waterbasin in the bottom. I also run my vents a little more closed than others. I only leave them about 25% open.
I dont know what state you live in, but where I am, in my part of California it has only been getting down to the low 40s at night and mid to upper 60s during the day. My smoker area is very protected form the wind also.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #1498
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Im in Michigan. Saturday night it was going down at single digits. My smoker's in my detached garage, so it's out of the elements. I also have a range hood above it, vented to the outside.

I've been meaning to buy a brick or two to put in there for more thermal mass. Right now I have teh water bowl and some aluminum pucks. They don't offer much in the way of heat holding capability, but they'll do for now.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #1499
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Call me crazy, and some of you do, but I LIKE my pulled pork as degraded as possible, tender,
almost fork mushable. Overdone is what most would call it, I like it that way.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #1500
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Call me crazy, and some of you do, but I LIKE my pulled pork as degraded as possible, tender,
almost fork mushable. Overdone is what most would call it, I like it that way.
I dont like to struggle while pulling my pork either. Dont get me wrong, I dont like it to be mush like baby food, but I do want it to fall apart while I am pulling it with my hands.