Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2015, 11:57 AM   #581
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

Nice beds Mack! Like the fairy garden also.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:07 AM   #582
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Spent most of the weekend in the yard. Picked up some replacement plants for the beds, put down a sh-load of mulch, and cut the grass. We were able to pick some lettuce from the garden to have in our salads.
[IMG][/IMG]

Still working the bottom grass down by the garden trying to get it caught up with the rest of the back yard. I've busted my ass on that hill numerous times when its wet….
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-04-2015, 06:05 AM   #583
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Finally got my seedlings to the ground. Starting from seed is a pain via transplant. I'll direct sow next year.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:22 AM   #584
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The garden just dried out enough for me to get it cleaned up.
I should get some cold crops put in the side garden, but I'm not all that excited yet.
May around here really weathers all over the place. It just got nice a couple days ago.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:34 AM   #585
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
The garden just dried out enough for me to get it cleaned up.
I should get some cold crops put in the side garden, but I'm not all that excited yet.
May around here really weathers all over the place. It just got nice a couple days ago.
Sounds like you're about to come out of hibernation.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #586
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

That's my master plan, Chronic.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #587
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I transplanted my seedlings this past weekend. What a couple days of warm weather and real sunshine make. I think my tomato plants have already grown 1-2".
Old 05-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #588
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I transplanted my seedlings this past weekend. What a couple days of warm weather and real sunshine make. I think my tomato plants have already grown 1-2".
Mine too. I did lose some in my tomato bed. I have some extras in an overflow bed though.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #589
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Well fellas, I think I can officially post in this thread now. Wife and I and fed up with having nothing in the yard. We decided and purchased an avocado tree (10-12 yrs old), and 2 citrus trees (potted right now), tomatoes, cilantro, peppers, basil, and mint. We'll see how far we can take them. Hopefully our green thumbs don't give way.

Any advice on any of these? Definitely do not want to see any of them perish, especially the avocado tree.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #590
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck Jay. I'm in the process of buying a home. I'm hoping it moves along quickly. One reason is we were hoping to get some gardening going. Perhaps it'll just be planting some fruit trees and figuring out/managing the kinds of berries are already growing on the property.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #591
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Sadly I have nothing to add. My home plot is gone. My dad has a garden and has a few long rows of Irish and Red potatoes, way more than our 3 families will be able to eat. I planted some pumpkins for the kids in the back of his garden. Other than that, nothing to report. Glad to see you guys getting off you azzes and working in those gardens! Makes me smile.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #592
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I pulled a radish the other day, first I've ever grown. Never been a big radish fan, but my tastes have changed as I've gotten older. Was a little spicy, a little sweet too. Glad I planted a bunch more.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:37 PM   #593
azar
It is what it is!

First Name: Mack
Trading: (18)
azar is on a distinguished road

just got all of my plants today. Planting this weekend will get pictures up soon.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:25 AM   #594
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Nicely done Mack.

They're calling for a possible freeze in my area next week. Ugh.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #595
azar
It is what it is!

Well chit guess I will only plant my seeds today weather showing 55 high and low at 35! Son of a beach!
I am so happy I didn't plant a week ago we had a hail storm roll through and ripped apart the flowers we had out.
Mack
Old 05-17-2015, 10:34 AM   #596
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by azar View Post
Well chit guess I will only plant my seeds today weather showing 55 high and low at 35! Son of a beach!
I am so happy I didn't plant a week ago we had a hail storm roll through and ripped apart the flowers we had out. Mack
Mack, if you're planting tomatoes up your way, and with your type of weather in Wyoming, what varieties are popular? I would think some short season variety...
Old 05-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #597
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
We decided and purchased an avocado tree (10-12 yrs old), and 2 citrus trees (potted right now), tomatoes, cilantro, peppers, basil, and mint. We'll see how far we can take them. Hopefully our green thumbs don't give way.

Any advice on any of these? Definitely do not want to see any of them perish, especially the avocado tree.
Jay, where abouts are you now in SoCal and what variety of Avocado did you purchase? Is it a standard, semi-standard, or dwarf tree?
Old 05-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #598
azar
It is what it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Mack, if you're planting tomatoes up your way, and with your type of weather in Wyoming, what varieties are popular? I would think some short season variety...
Roma and big boy are the types I am planting plenty of grow time just getting impatient! Beds are 59* showing moist. Ambiant T* is 56* right now. I have my spinach lettuce and onions in.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #599
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I just checked the moon phase and we can't plant till the weekend after the 2nd.
I still have to amend the soil in the back garden, but we can plant the side garden whenever. It's ready to go.
I'm stoked. The last two years were awful. This year is gonna be awesome.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:11 PM   #600
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azar View Post
Roma and big boy are the types I am planting plenty of grow time just getting impatient! Beds are 59* showing moist. Ambiant T* is 56* right now...
Nice varieties Mack! If I had the dirt area that some of you do, I'd be a planting fool and shoving asparagus, tomaters, and such in the ground... Right now, I have a couple of columnar apple trees that you see in the foreground. Not too much columnar shape as I've allowed them to spread out a tad. The one in the foreground has "sets" of marble size fruit at this time:

I have two tomato plants in containers. The one on the left is Celebrity (determinate variety) and the one on the right is Big Beef (indeterminate variety). Big Beef was a mistake. I wanted two Celebrities and pulled two out of the "Celebrity" box. When I got home and checked the tags, I saw that someone had misplaced a variety in the Celebrity area. Oh well, we'll have to run with Big Beef and see how it looks in a couple of months. Both plants are already setting fruit:

And then, my pride and joy I've been nurturing since 2004, as it developed from small pieces of bark (about 12" L x 5" W), is the Stag Horn plant:

I've been thinking about bring in a couple of 28" pots (similar to what the columnar apples are sitting in) to increase tomatoes, but I'll wait till next season on that...