Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough
Default Series X Boomer

It's a beautiful day here in south Florida and it calls for a great cigar. I've had these cigars in my humidor for about 9 years. I've smoked plenty of them in the past but as my collection has dwindled over the years I've been holding onto the few i have left. Today I decided to make an endangered species even more endangered.

Construction: Damned near perfect but these cigars have always looked beautiful. It's hard to tell from the pic but lots of plume on it as well.

Pre-light draw: Draw was perfect with slight hints of coffee and leather

Toasted the foot and crossed the point of no return. copious amounts of beautiful smoke poured out as this cigar came alive.

First 1/3: some wood tones, Coffee, Vanilla bean, Light leather, Smoke is velvety, creamy with great texture as far as mouth feel goes, Very smooth overall and just a hint of sweetness to it. Not a single harsh note to be found so far. Ash is held tight and firm. It's really something special.

2/3: Beautiful amount of smoke still. Not too much and not too little. If this were any smoother i'd have to rename this cigar Lando calrissian. The coffee notes are amazing, like drinking the best cup of coffee i've ever had. Some wood tones becoming more like oak but very light oak. Light pepper coming through as well with cocoa and vanilla, Deep earth tones like forest floor, Towards the end of the 2/3 espresso coming through and pepper more pronounced. Ash is still tight and firm and holding up well. I remove the ash for the first time well past the halfway point.

3/3: I know I'm repeating myself but smoke and ash remain perfect at the finish still. espresso, cream, dark chocolate, solid pepper notes really coming through with that earthiness blended into it well. The light sweetness in the draw is really knocking it out of the park for me. It's not strong as to overwhelm the flavors but really a very light aftertaste. Some solid vanilla mixed in with leather and wood tones.

Conclusion: A very special smoke for a beautiful day. It's going to be a while before I raid my remaining stash again. The whole time I'm smoking this I'm just taken aback to traveling up to Virginia as a child to visit my grandparents around thanksgiving and i'll never forgot the smell of the soil along with their wood burning stove. Sometimes a cigar can trigger that sensory memory for me and this cigar certainly did that for me today.

Recommendation: If you can find one then get it. Good luck with that as these are very special.

Hope everyone is having a fine day today as I am
Old 11-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Series X Boomer

Thanks for the review! These were supposedly continued after Fuente sued Oliva over the 'X', as the Famous Nicaraguan 3000. Have you tried the Famous Nic 3K? Do they compare to the Series X?
Old 11-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review, I fondly remember these sticks and wished I had stashed some away many years ago.

I guess I will have to remember it through your review - thanks!
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:06 AM   #4
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Nice to see things from times gone by. Great review!
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
Thanks for the review! These were supposedly continued after Fuente sued Oliva over the 'X', as the Famous Nicaraguan 3000. Have you tried the Famous Nic 3K? Do they compare to the Series X?
I have tried The famous 3k's and i think they do share some similarities but I've never found them to taste 100% alike. I have a couple Famous 3k chairmans that have been in my humidor for a year now so maybe my next NC review I'll do that just for fun.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

Didn't the Nic 3k's get reblended (maybe even a new wrapper) a few years ago?
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Pulled out a Series X - Chairman today and am enjoying it now. These are real treasures if you can find them. The chairmans profile is very different from the boomer or tabu. Sweet, peppery, coffee, leather, earthy with tons of beautiful smoke, ash that is shimmering white, and a burn thats a little uneven but not enough to correct. A beautiful cigar for a beautiful day