Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-06-2010, 04:02 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Sol Cubano artisan

Now I can't find too much background on these Sol Cubano Artisan, but I learned that these are part of the Oliva family and I've seen descriptions that three wrappers (Connecticut, Habano and maduro) are used for this cigar, and I've seen pictures with three wrappers, but the one I had only had two wrappers, the Connecticut and the maduro. However, on the site of a well known online retailer, I also see pictures of the Sol Cubano artisan with two wrappers, so I guess that these two wrapper barberpoles are just a different batch than the three wrapper barberpoles.

Anyway, this 7x60 Sol Cubano Artisan looks awesome, it's different from other barberpoles, which have equal thick stripes of tobacco while this Artisan has thick pieces and small pieces of different colored tobacco on top, which makes it look awesome. I also like the Salomon shape. Even the band is beautiful, it fits the cigar. The wrappers are oily and I can see a few veins. I smell a straw and barnyard smell and then I squeeze the cigar lightly, I notice a good construction. The predraw is fine and I taste a dry tobacco flavor.

I taste a mild spicy earth flavor, not very nice though, that must be the Connecticut tobacco which I don't like. I'm not saying that the cigar is nasty either, it's somewhere between pleasant and unpleasant. I also taste a bit of chocolate.

After two inch I taste herbs, earth and just a hint of chocolate on the background. The cigar gains some strength halfway and near the end the cigar gets spicy and I even taste a bit of pepper.

This cigar lasted me for two hours and gave me a lot of thick smoke. The draw is good, but I had to correct the burn a few times. The ash is light colored but firm. This cigar is medium to full flavored and medium to full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Nope, I love the look, but don't love the taste

Appearance: 9 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 6 / 10
Aroma second part: 6 / 10
Aroma third part: 6 / 10
Old 12-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sol Cubano artisan

The Padilla Artisan is similiar but a much better smoke IMO. I also love most sticks that come in the Salomon shape, for some reason they smoke well and taste good.

BTW, time for me to get some Christmas sticks sent East. What do you and Simon want?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

We want to be left alone
Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
We want to be left alone
Tell ya what, call your bookie and get a run down on the odds of that happening. I bombed you a few months ago and will do it again when I feel froggy.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Tell ya what, call your bookie and get a run down on the odds of that happening. I bombed you a few months ago and will do it again when I feel froggy.
Yeah...what he said!!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post

You know what happened last time right, and the time before that, and the time before that, and when we came to Virginia. You talk smack, but then you cry like a little girl when you get bombed.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Umm check the scoreboard Cowboys fan... You might not like the score.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:11 AM   #8
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

You check the scoreboard, count the cigars (and the lighters) and you know you are our *****.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:41 AM   #9
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
You check the scoreboard, count the cigars (and the lighters) and you know you are our *****.
Oh damn... I think Volt has just been called out...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #10
Whynot
Living the dream...

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (11)
Cohiba AirForce (Active)
Whynot is on a distinguished road

Nice review. I do enjoy them more than you did apparently. I have quite a few boxes of them I have collected on CB.