Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 12-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Dpricenator

Default Trouble with my pipes.

So a couple years ago Angry Bill gifted a couple pipes and some baccy to go with em. I really enjoy them and do my best to switch back and forth betwen them to give them some rest, but have been struggling with something. I get a bubling sound and feeling about half way through my bowl. One pipe is more Sherlock Holes style, though not that long, and the other is just plain old straight pipe. What is this bubbling caused from, and how do I prevent it? I am assuming it is saliva, and tar mixing. how do i stop it.

Also does anyone else get tar coming out of the mouth piece? Is this just a cleaning issue?
Old 12-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Guitarman-S.T-
"ESP+ENGL&amp ;qu ot;-Brutal

First Name: S.T
Trading: (11)
SCdlH
Guitarman-S.T- will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Trouble with my pipes.

this happens ALL the time with my Jirsa Blowfish, not sure if its the shape, but I remember seeing on youtube that it happens with Immature pipes... Maybe more cake must develop... Any other opinions?
Old 12-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Could be you're smoking "wet", too much saliva. I usually stick a pipe cleaner in for awhile and let it cool down before going again.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Do not fret, this is common. Moisture builds up from the combustion of the tobacco and saliva may drift down the stem - this is normal.

Solution to the problem? Keep some pipe cleaners handy when you are smoking. When the gurgle begins, shove a pipe cleaner all the way down the stem to the bowl.

WARNING: Do not remove the stem to perform this task.

Pipe cleaners are your best friend. Keep many handy. Use them often when smoking your pipe. Not only does it stop the gurgle, but that condensation is a major factor in tongue bite.

Hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Dpricenator

Thanks Man, I've only used pipe cleaners after I finish. I had no idea this could or should be done while smokeing. Much appreciated.