Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough
Default JR Cohiba Siglo IV Replica

So I passed by JRs on my way to ATL and I decided I was gonna try some of their replica sticks. I had recently gotten their catalog and it, obviously, spoke very highly of their house blends. They made comparisons to just about all the Cuban lines. I grabbed the Cohiba siglo IV and Monte #2. Half way through this sig IV, I'm not sure how they can remotely compare the two. It's by no means a bad cigar. Construction is good, flavor is ok....but it's not at all close to a Cohiba. It's more woodsy, and has a bit of a harsh bite to it. No creamy deliciousness that I associate with the cohiba line. I fully understand that I paid $2.75 for this cigar, so I recognize I'm not getting the best smoke in the world. If they didn't advertise it as a replacement, I'd say it's a good cheap smoke depending on your taste preferences. All in all, I don't think I'd buy this one again. It's very one dimensional for me. Even at this price, I find it lacking.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Re: JR Cohiba Siglo IV Replica

JR copy cats are by and large to be passed by.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
thecatch83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
JR copy cats are by and large to be passed by.
Passing on fake cigars.......Isn't that an oxymoron or paradox?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

That's why I stopped using a blow up doll, if you want the real thing, then you have to pay for it...hahaha
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

REALLY???
You were surprised it did not taste like a Cohiba???
ROFLMAO......
You really ARE a funny guy,

These sticks are designed to attract two types of customers. Old guys who are offended by what the
industry has become and refuse to pay more than such and such for a cigar, and drive-bys who say," hmmm,
this sounds like it should be a good cigar. I mean, even if it's not exactly like a Cohiba, it's still gotta be pretty
good, right?" Wrong.
I had a few good ones based loosely on the Padron Exclusivos, but never had another one that was good.
Mostly they are under-filled, weak tobacco, one-dimensional and otherwise crap.
And Cheap.
Hey, it's a niche product with a very small niche. If you want to get a good cigar for your 39 bucks
or whatever you paid, patrol their closeouts and weekly specials at about the same rate. For THAT
money you get a cigar that was supposed to be able to stand on quality alone, not name gimmickry. And
sometimes, age has been good to them. If you want 39 dollar cigars, stay away from the Alternatives.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
thecatch83

So are Gurkha's made to replicate real cigars?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

In fact, the La Fincas they have on their weekely special right now are pretty decent, and you save ten bucks
off the Alternatives price. And they are aged, too.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Well I wasn't really expecting a Cohiba, but figured if they were going to advertise as such they'd at least make an attempt. I'll have to try your other recommendation and see how those go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
REALLY???
You were surprised it did not taste like a Cohiba???
ROFLMAO......
You really ARE a funny guy,

These sticks are designed to attract two types of customers. Old guys who are offended by what the
industry has become and refuse to pay more than such and such for a cigar, and drive-bys who say," hmmm,
this sounds like it should be a good cigar. I mean, even if it's not exactly like a Cohiba, it's still gotta be pretty
good, right?" Wrong.
I had a few good ones based loosely on the Padron Exclusivos, but never had another one that was good.
Mostly they are under-filled, weak tobacco, one-dimensional and otherwise crap.
And Cheap.
Hey, it's a niche product with a very small niche. If you want to get a good cigar for your 39 bucks
or whatever you paid, patrol their closeouts and weekly specials at about the same rate. For THAT
money you get a cigar that was supposed to be able to stand on quality alone, not name gimmickry. And
sometimes, age has been good to them. If you want 39 dollar cigars, stay away from the Alternatives.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodQue View Post
That's why I stopped using a blow up doll, if you want the real thing, then you have to pay for it...hahaha
Wait so those real feel blow up dolls are no good either

DAMNIT!
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
OLS
Suck It

Oh I am sure Real Dolls are pretty freaking good. I guess blow up is the key factor in dissatisfaction.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbejon View Post
Well I wasn't really expecting a Cohiba, but figured if they were going to advertise as such they'd at least make an attempt. I'll have to try your other recommendation and see how those go.
haha, yeah, you'd think so anyway, lol. What I would really encourage people to stay away
from is the Alternative to the Behikes. I think what everyone needs to know about the Alternatives
is they are only alternatives to the same sized roll of actual quality tobacco of the true cigar. They
have a similar shape and weight. NOTHING ELSE. Almost everyone who has been smoking over 5 years
has had a few packs, so don't feel pregnant.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I've picked up many a bundle of the Cohiba Sig IV alts when I go to JRs. If you ignore the name on 'em, they're pretty good smokes.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I've picked up many a bundle of the Cohiba Sig IV alts when I go to JRs. If you ignore the name on 'em, they're pretty good smokes.

Also, at the $2.75 price you noted, you paid about twice as much as you would have by the bundle.

On the other hand, you'd have had 19 more to smoke.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #14
jerseyjay
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
jerseyjay is on a distinguished road

People still shop at JR ?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Personal choice. I've never had a problem with them.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #16
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Once again, .
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #17
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Neither have I.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
burnem
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ernie
Trading: (3)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
burnem is on a distinguished road

Sir, I understand what you did and what you are saying about your experience. You don't sound like someone with no experience and I'm sure you expecting some fun at your expense from the fellas. With that said, thank you for having the cajones to post a review, you may have saved some true newbie a few $$ on a bundle of these.
burnem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
cigarlvr
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (11)
cigarlvr is on a distinguished road

They are just that a Replica of a cigar
cigarlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #20
smokepuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnem View Post
Sir, I understand what you did and what you are saying about your experience. You don't sound like someone with no experience and I'm sure you expecting some fun at your expense from the fellas. With that said, thank you for having the cajones to post a review, you may have saved some true newbie a few $$ on a bundle of these.
Amen brother, just saved me.