Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
ihocky2
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
ihocky2 is on a distinguished road
Default Question about sizes

I have some questions regarding cigar sizes and shapes and their relationship to their flavor. I don’t really know much about the differences you’ll get between different sizes and shapes, can anyone please help explain. I know that typically larger ring gauge and longer cigars have a cooler smoke, but besides that what are typical differences. I know there are no hard and fast rules, but I am just looking for some common or typical differences that one would expect to find.

Also, I’ve seen mention about the large ring size craze, what do most consider a large ring gauge. Robusto’s have been around a long time and are typically a 50 ring. My thinking is the 58’s and on up are probably what is mostly being referred to.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: Question about sizes

On ring gauge: on smaller RG cigars, there's a higher ratio of wrapper:filler/binder, so you're likely to extract more of the flavors provided by the wrapper.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

For most I would think anything over 48 or 50 ring would be considered large/big.

Gerard is right. Conversely bigger ring smokes may have more filler that doesn't have much flavor.

Think of a baking recipe. If it has 150 parts total and you get flavor from 3 types you find a balance. Lets say each is 50 parts. Well if you want the same recipe to be physically larger (300 parts) you might think you would keep the same ratio (100 parts each) , but often it doesn't work out that way. You may end up having 80, 120, and 100 to get the same flavor. Some might keep the 50, 50, 50 and add a fourth filler (100) that has less flavor to strech the recipe.

So, while the brand and marca might be the same, the blend on each vitola is different. It is believed that most blenders use the corona vitola to blend to. If I understand it correctly the other vitolas are made in an attempt to maintain the flavor in the master (corona) blend.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
For most I would think anything over 48 or 50 ring would be considered large/big.

Gerard is right. Conversely bigger ring smokes may have more filler that doesn't have much flavor.

Think of a baking recipe. If it has 150 parts total and you get flavor from 3 types you find a balance. Lets say each is 50 parts. Well if you want the same recipe to be physically larger (300 parts) you might think you would keep the same ratio (100 parts each) , but often it doesn't work out that way. You may end up having 80, 120, and 100 to get the same flavor. Some might keep the 50, 50, 50 and add a fourth filler (100) that has less flavor to strech the recipe.

So, while the brand and marca might be the same, the blend on each vitola is different. It is believed that most blenders use the corona vitola to blend to. If I understand it correctly the other vitolas are made in an attempt to maintain the flavor in the master (corona) blend.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Jon11
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jon
Jon11 is on a distinguished road

So do you prefer a smaller ring? Do you think it is more true to the blend?
Jon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon11 View Post
That really depends on what you like. There are a few 50+ RG cigars I enjoy because they aren't as "condensed". Some blend may be too powerful to my palate when in a corona or lancero size. Other sizes may be too big and airy, and may make it seem like the blend is dull. I usually tend to stick to the middle ground (48RG-50RG) for many of my smokes.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Check out this post out:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46825

It might help?

Well looking back at the OP I guess you where inquiring more about the flavor profiles of the different sizes and not the different sizes them selves.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon11 View Post
As M.J. said, everyone's taste is different. "True" to the blend usually means a corona size cigar. That is not written in stone, just a generality. The wrapper is often the best quality and best tasting leaf in a cigar. So, in a small ring cigar you will get more wrapper flavor than you will in a larger ring cigar simply based on the amount of filler compared to the amount of wrapper is in the cigar (the ratio mentioned previously).
Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I think a smaller ring usually delivers sharper flavors, while a larger ring delivers smoother flavors. I think that's a real fair generality.
If you find a cigar you like, use that idea to move up or down in size to find what you enjoy.
I also think a larger ring is going to develop flavors and nuance that you'll never find in a small ring, because there's just not enough time and tobacco to build to that crescendo.
If I'd have stuck to just one size, or get into a small ring or large ring habit, I'm going to miss a lot of really good stuff along the way. I try to mix it up as best I can, but it's sometimes hard to devote all the time necessary to a big ring to get to all the goodness that an hour and a half of smoking can create.

The difference between an Anejo 46 and a Shark comes to mind. Two similar, but very different experiences.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
ihocky2
Just in from the Storm

ihocky2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help guys. I will definitely have to keep this in mind more so in the future and start trying different size of the same brand to see what I like best.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihocky2 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I will definitely have to keep this in mind more so in the future and start trying different size of the same brand to see what I like best.
There is always one size in a cigar line that best suits the blend.