Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Okay, lovers of the LEAF, step right up...

1. EPCNW

2. FourKicks

3. Oliva V Lanc.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #22
mikesr1963
CAO FLATHEAD

First Name: Mister
Trading: (0)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
mikesr1963 has disabled reputation

Feel free to start a thread for 42 ring size or smaller cigars. I, personally, don't like the smaller ring sizes. My favorite range is 43 to 52 and I'm looking for suggestions to try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Yup...skipping scores of wonderful cigars with a RG restriction.
mikesr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #23
mikesr1963
CAO FLATHEAD

Well, let's see. The word LEAF is in capital letters because I pushed the little button on my keyboard with the word "shift" on it. Would also be in the sense where one is addressing a brotherhood.

Next, please, feel free to start a thread about 40 RG or smaller if you are in fact interested in reading about what others smoke in that RG. The reason you don't get what's so appealing about larger RGs is because you favor the 40 RG and that's perfectly okay. Just don't rain on my day by doing so. It's not proper etiquette.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Why is the word leaf in capital letters in the thread title? What else would we be lovers of in a cigar discussion forum?

And I have nothing to add, all my favorites are around 40 RG. I don't get whats so appealing about big RG cigars these days, it makes me wonder at times.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #24
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
I, personally, don't like the smaller ring sizes. My favorite range is 43 to 52 and I'm looking for suggestions to try.
Out of pure curiosity, how long you been smoking cigars for, brother? I too, usually prefer the larger formats, but do love a good Panatela or Lancero on occasion. Just wondering because my taste and liking for different ring gauges has changed a lot since starting. Not sure if yours has too.
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #25
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Feel free to start a thread for 42 ring size or smaller cigars.
I appreciate your permission, but I don't need other people to choose my cigars for me.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #26
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
8zeros will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Light-PLPC, QdO Corona

Medium-HUpmann #2, ERDM Choix Supreme

Heavy-RyJ Cazadores
I was just reading this thread to figure out what y'all think is light-medium-heavy.
That list there I can relate to. Maybe put a Bolivar Belicosa in the middle instead.
I'm having a hard time remembering non-cubans:
Light- Not fond of these
Medium- AF Hemmingway
Heavy- San Cristobal
Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #27
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Well, let's see. The word LEAF is in capital letters because I pushed the little button on my keyboard with the word "shift" on it. Would also be in the sense where one is addressing a brotherhood.
We have an acronym for that, botl/sptl

Quote:
Next, please, feel free to start a thread about 40 RG or smaller if you are in fact interested in reading about what others smoke in that RG. The reason you don't get what's so appealing about larger RGs is because you favor the 40 RG and that's perfectly okay. Just don't rain on my day by doing so. It's not proper etiquette.
It's a rook mistake to limit yourself based on RG. Notice quite a few old timers favor smaller RGs, there may be a reason for that
Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #28
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
When using a trademark, it is customary to make a notation. In your case, to be fully correct you should have used: Nissan LEAF®

Arbitrary distinctions are, well, arbitrary. Don't be surprised to find a WTF on a cigar board where you are the babe in the woods (or so you demonstrate).

But I mean that in the nicest possible, large RG*, way.

*: "Ring Gauge" not "Rafael Gonzales"
Old 02-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #29
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Light - PLPC

Medium - ERdM Choix Supreme

Heavy - Boli RC
Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #30
mikesr1963
CAO FLATHEAD

I was smoking cigars 10 years before you were born. I quit smoking and alcohol consumption at 23 when my first son was born so as not to influence him. At 50, the only thing I'm a rookie on is wanting to be an on line cigar expert, pretend aficionado. I'm not pretending, I like what I like and only ask about what I like. If you feel the need to pretend to be an expert, well, then I guess your doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
We have an acronym for that, botl/sptl

It's a rook mistake to limit yourself based on RG. Notice quite a few old timers favor smaller RGs, there may be a reason for that
Old 02-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #31
mikesr1963
CAO FLATHEAD

Understand I'm not here to impress anyone or the learn on line acronym banter. I'm an individual, and while my distinctions are arbitrary, I'm not striving to be a stuck up snob. Take away the post count and the cigar lingo post, that most hear refer to, and you would find a world of pretenders. It's either fun, or it isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
When using a trademark, it is customary to make a notation. In your case, to be fully correct you should have used: Nissan LEAF®

Arbitrary distinctions are, well, arbitrary. Don't be surprised to find a WTF on a cigar board where you are the babe in the woods (or so you demonstrate).

But I mean that in the nicest possible, large RG*, way.

*: "Ring Gauge" not "Rafael Gonzales"
Old 02-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #32
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Dude, lighten up.
If you are over 50 as I am, you know there are more important things to take way more seriously.
You chose to get snippy and tell the wrong person to go start his own thread.

BTW, take away my post count, it doesn't change who I am and what I have experienced. Won't make me a pretender.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #33
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

http://youtu.be/FONN-0uoTHI

I'm not an "old timer," but I agree with their preference for 33-42rg. To me, I'm more aware and appreciative of the cigar while smoking. It takes a skilled roller to blend so few leaves, and an even better one to roll it without having draw issues. It's an appreciation of mastery of the craft, combined with great tobacco (I could be wrong on this, but I've read/heard that the larger rg cigars use more bland filler leaves to get to a certain rg) that makes me enjoy the smaller RG's. Not to say I won't smoke a larger RG than 42, but I don't reach for them much. There's just something "right" about a mareva.

Mild- LGC MdO 3 and 4
Med- CCE, PLPC, Sig II
Full- Tat Black PL or Viaje S&B Mystery

Last edited by pektel; 02-11-2014 at 06:44 AM.
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:37 AM   #34
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

I have to agree with, Carlos.

To some extent, in order to become a part of an online community, you DO need to learn the acronyms and attempt to conform to the culture of the community. That is not to say you give up your individuality.

No one here is striving to be a stuck up snob. But I can tell you that if that is what you already believe about our community, you are dead wrong. Trust me. There are many other cigar boards out there. Cop an attitude with established members - they would be all over you like white on rice.

Relax. Take a deep breath. And understand that while you may have been smoking before some were born, you can still learn much here. We all do. Every day.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #35
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
No one here is striving to be a stuck up snob.
I am.

I'm trying to learn from our most learned new friend all about cigars and how to be condescending and/or snobbish - as he so aptly demonstrates to us all. I'm trying to bask in the glow of the aura that is his beneficence created by his willingness to help those so far beneath his worthy notice. I strive to be as he himself has demonstrated - the high brow snob who merely likes what he likes and is able to ridicule those who are different (dare we say "lesser"?) with aplomb and equanimity.

That he gave up smoking and drinking at 23 shows the lengths to which he is willing to go to train his palette to become the amazing fount of knowledge that we see, here before us, today. That he is older than me, I do not doubt, as his amazing vocabulary and witty repartee denote, a wisdom far beyond that of the ordinary mortal.

I have found my new hero - him that I aspire to be. I am humbled at his greatness and beaten senseless by his snippets of profundity cast, as it were, upon the shores of this desolate goat-filled island that is Cigar Asylum.

Or it could be that his irony meter is out of whack, but what do I know, I just started smoking cigars in January.

Last edited by markem; 02-11-2014 at 09:07 AM.
markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #36
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
I am.

I'm trying to learn from our most learned new friend all about cigars and how to be condescending and/or snobbish - as he so aptly demonstrates to us all. I'm trying to bask in the glow of the aura that is his beneficence created by his willingness to help those so far beneath his worthy notice. I strive to be as he himself has demonstrated - the high brow snob who merely likes what he likes and is able to ridicule those who are different (dare we say "lesser"?) with aplomb and equanimity.

That he gave up smoking and drinking at 23 shows the lengths to which he is willing to go to train his palette to become the amazing fount of knowledge that we see, here before us, today. That he is older than me, I do not doubt, as his amazing vocabulary and witty repartee denote, a wisdom far beyond that of the ordinary mortal.

I have found my new hero - him that I aspire to be. I am humbled at his greatness and beaten senseless by his snippets of profundity cast, as it were, upon the shores of this desolate goat-filled island that is Cigar Asylum.

Or it could be that his irony meter is out of whack, but what do I know, I just started smoking cigars in January.
What year?

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #37
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
What year?
1976. But I didn't start smoking non Cubans until the 90s, so that puts me behind.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #38
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
1876. But I didn't start smoking non Cubans until the 90s, so that puts me behind.
Jeez, Mr. Wilson, that sure is a looooong time.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #39
mikesr1963
CAO FLATHEAD

I discovered when I quit smoking at 23 that smoking dulls the taste buds a great deal. Since I've picked cigars back up I am not going to smoke so often as to let that happen again. I'm staying away from anything that may be a quick smoke and could turn into a more often smoke. I smoked cigars for 7 years before I stopped at 23. I was in the military at 19 and got to enjoy a good variety of smokes. I love tasting a cigar with a clean palate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR1205 View Post
Out of pure curiosity, how long you been smoking cigars for, brother? I too, usually prefer the larger formats, but do love a good Panatela or Lancero on occasion. Just wondering because my taste and liking for different ring gauges has changed a lot since starting. Not sure if yours has too.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #40
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
I discovered when I quit smoking at 23 that smoking dulls the taste buds a great deal. Since I've picked cigars back up I am not going to smoke so often as to let that happen again. I'm staying away from anything that may be a quick smoke and could turn into a more often smoke. I smoked cigars for 7 years before I stopped at 23. I was in the military at 19 and got to enjoy a good variety of smokes. I love tasting a cigar with a clean palate.
I haven't been smoking long at all and have the pallet of a billy goat, but I often find smaller sticks have more pronounced flavors, I also would rather smoke a couple smaller cigars and mix it up rather than one 2 hour cigar, again I am truly a noob and my tastes might change as well, but so far that's what I have found, ok besides that Behike 56 the other night that was really outstanding.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote