Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #21
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: Need Help - Re: Trauma/Doctor/Gunshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
I am here to help bro!
Rather get shot than buy anymore of those poker chips

You could make it a custom made two shot pistol, after the first shot no one expects the second shot and BAMM another round down range. lol

I do know a girl that is on one of those life flight crews, helicopter crew, in Florida, I can shoot her a facebook message and see if she or one of her crew can help, they must know about serious trauma care, considering their job.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #22
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

I'm thinking a pocket pistol would be more feasible for an accidental discharge. It's concealed from the public, but the shooter would still have purchase of it given the overcoats of the time. That being said, you're probably looking at a .36 cal ball round.

A torso wound would not end well. But if that round has to travel through an overcoat (the shooter) and then possibly the overcoat/petticoat then corset of the victim, I would say cavitation might be non-lethal. The bullet's deformation as it travels through cloth barriers would cause it to tumble with an unpredictable trajectory. Now. Weather conditions. Is it raining? An umbrella could be a convenient barrier (rods or support pieces taking the hit) that might be a pivot point for the readers' belief in the severity of the wound. Heck, an iron eyelet of her corset would make a decent impact point. Taking some of the silk lace with it into her wound...making it easier for extraction later.

As for organs. Why not kidney? We've got two. One can go and no one would be any the wiser. You might have to address whether sepsis is a factor in her prognosis, however.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #23
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I do know a girl that is on one of those life flight crews, helicopter crew, in Florida, I can shoot her a facebook message and see if she or one of her crew can help, they must know about serious trauma care, considering their job.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #24
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

And if that doesn't work out, a friend of mine is a former EMT and is an expert on the Black Plague...and quite the writer. And is hot.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #25
RGD.
God Like Status

RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockspur View Post
I'm thinking a pocket pistol would be more feasible for an accidental discharge. It's concealed from the public, . . .
Thanks for the comments/notes/suggestions! Everything helps.

Just to expand a little more - when I say "accidental discharge" what really happens is this:

Our protagonist is an assassin who has been captured by a powerful daimyo who actually needs her alive for information that she has. Being a daimyo, his pistol is really just an ornate piece and not something someone would use in battle - more prestige than anything, but he is waving it around to threaten her.

The scene takes place in a large room within an estate home of the time period. Her hands are bound by the wrist, the rope is secured to an overhead beam.

The person who is trying to save/rescue her sends an arrow into and through the daimyo's throat - which in turn causes a reflex, tightening of the fingers, thereby firing the weapon and striking her.

Her clothing is a simple cotton pants and tunic with a silk and cotton kimono. Typical 17th century Japan clothing for middle class.

Thanks!

Ron
Old 03-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #26
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Ah, well then, I'm out. My Japanese expertise lies in the epic consumption of raw fish.

However, I mentioned this to my friend and here is her response. Bear in mind, her expertise is in 16th century diseases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila
I can pass that and some possible avenues to follow from there to medical treatment progression
That's about all I can offer. Other than go for sucking chest wound. All you need is something flat that a seal can be made with to stop it.
It will leave the chest cavity full of fluid, but could do with something stuck in to drain, herbs, etc to heal and pass through rough fever and infection.
Could be glossed over if taken from the point of view of the victim in and out of consciousness.

Hit the wake ups with the hard facts of treatment easily talked about in layman's terms and then defined later when the crisis is passed. Bullet could lodge in a rib bone and stay in place. Poetic

Old 03-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #27
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
And if that doesn't work out, a friend of mine is a former EMT and is an expert on the Black Plague...and quite the writer. And is hot.
Actually in my second book - I do have a person who dies from the plague in Oslo.

Ron
Old 03-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #28
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
Ah, well then, I'm out. My Japanese expertise lies in the epic consumption of raw fish.

However, I mentioned this to my friend and here is her response. Bear in mind, her expertise is in 16th century diseases.

Very helpful - tell her "Thanks" -

Ron
Old 03-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #29
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
Her clothing is a simple cotton pants and tunic with a silk and cotton kimono. Typical 17th century Japan clothing for middle class.

Thanks!

Ron
Wait, she's clothed? I'm out.

AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #30
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Something to consider, if you need more damage, early muzzle loaders were often double-shotted, meaning they put a little extra powder in, and loaded two balls in the same load. Because these guns did not have rifled barrels, they were not very accurate, and double-shotting the load gave a greater chance to hit your target. So, it you need a shot to hit your victim, and another to do additional action of some sort (on same general trajectory as first bullet), then you also have the option of including a double-shotted load! Good luck! BTW, I'm NOT a medical doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn one time.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #31
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Something to consider, if you need more damage. . . . BTW, I'm NOT a medical doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn one time.
Noooo - I believe we have enough damage with a shot to back, bouncing off the rib cage and leaving a sucking wound out the front. Plus I forgot to mention that she has heavy scar tissue across her back from abuse as a teenager - not sure how that plays in but will research it.

For the past several years she is all I think about 80 to 90% of the day. From research to writing to publishing, etc - so I have grown quite fond of Mineko. I just couldn't bear to have her killed off now. Plus who knows - might be a fourth book in the saga down the road.

You know, when I am writing it often helps me to use audio or visual aids. Makes it easier to describe facial expressions, movements, injuries, etc. That said, I have used a very specific model for Mineko. So if she was a real person - this is what she would look like -

Ron