Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 10-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #441
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: Latest Pipe-Related Purchase Thread

First off I am blown away at the presentation and packaging of this purchase. After reading about the Boswells and seeing they are a family run business here in the USA I was hooked. I asked Jennifer over the phone for this pipe and some non aromatic Virgina to go along and they sent an extra ounce of Dan's bend plus pipe cleaners plus a pipe tool wrapped in pipe cleaners plus matches and a hand signed pouch for my pipe

The Boswell is really beautiful and I do not own a camera that does it justice. The stem is not black like it looks in the pics but a very dark brown with light brown streaks running through it.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #442
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

That is Beautiful!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #443
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

THAT, is a beautiful looking pipe you have there Jake! The Boswells are simply a spot-on family. I've always had a positive interface everytime that I've called their store.

Your pipe is the deep fluted freehand (pic #3) under their "pipes for sale." The bowl must feel just right in your hand.

I rec'vd the same 3 in 1 pipe tool as well. Its quite a versitile tool. I guess I was so excited when my poker arrived that I didn't even notice the signature on the pipe bag that it arrived in. I had to go back in the bedroom and check it out, and there was the signature. Cool stuff! I think its the simple stuff like their customer service and quality product that keeps me coming back.

That Dan's Blend is some good baccy too. Beautiful pipe Jake and hope you get many years of enjoyment from it
Old 10-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #444
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Thanks Mark, your purchase showed me the light that I don't have to pay 600+$ (I never would) for a great made in the USA pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
THAT, is a beautiful looking pipe you have there Jake! The Boswells are simply a spot-on family. I've always had a positive interface everytime that I've called their store.

Your pipe is the deep fluted freehand (pic #3) under their "pipes for sale." The bowl must feel just right in your hand.

I rec'vd the same 3 in 1 pipe tool as well. Its quite a versitile tool. I guess I was so excited when my poker arrived that I didn't even notice the signature on the pipe bag that it arrived in. I had to go back in the bedroom and check it out, and there was the signature. Cool stuff! I think its the simple stuff like their customer service and quality product that keeps me coming back.

That Dan's Blend is some good baccy too. Beautiful pipe Jake and hope you get many years of enjoyment from it
Old 10-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #445
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
Thanks Mark, your purchase showed me the light that I don't have to pay 600+$ (I never would) for a great made in the USA pipe
...from one squid to another then
Old 10-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #446
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

I was looking thru thier website earlier...some sweet pipes! I really liked some of the Fishing Vest Pipes. I almost hate to ask them for a price
Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #447
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I was looking thru thier website earlier...some sweet pipes! I really liked some of the Fishing Vest Pipes. I almost hate to ask them for a price
Go ahead and shoot Gail an email saying you perused the Fishing Vest pipes, and was wondering if Dan or Jim are still making them, and if so, what would be a price range nowaday.

She's great and it doesn't cost you a thing (for now that is)...
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #448
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Go ahead and shoot Gail an email saying you perused the Fishing Vest pipes, and was wondering if Dan or Jim are still making them, and if so, what would be a price range nowaday.

She's great and it doesn't cost you a thing (for now that is)...
This is what scares me
Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #449
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Not to derail, but how are thier tabacco blends? The Hunters and Majestic 586 sound good.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #450
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Wow, your timing on that last post was perfect. My dad and I are thinking of getting pipes for Christmas. Those Boswell's are beautiful AND made in the U.S.A. Thank you, check one item off the list a little early!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #451
ChicagoWhiteSox

Some C&D tins

Old 10-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #452
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Always funny how being in the mood for a pipe comes and goes with the season. Had a couple days of cooler weather 2 weeks ago and thought to myself a warm briar in hand would be nice. Then it warmed up and I forgot about that thought until today, when we didn't even crack 60 and was beginning to think more about what my first bowl in a few months will be. Then I see this thread, and now I'm debating on calling up Boswells to see if they have any new churchwardens being made.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #453
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Boswells had a couple of Churchwardens up for sale last week on their web page:

Both are very nice looking pipes, and the bowl heights on each are just a smidge over 2" each...
Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #454
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

If you ever get the chance to stop into Boswell's shop it is absolutely worth it. I went out of my way to stop in on a trip across PA, smoked a couple bowls of JM's complementary tobacco bought 2 pipes, and even had some custom work done on one of the pipes while I waited.

There were probably 80 pipes for sale in the store, and the prices were better than what is listed on the internet, and still included all the extras.

If your interested in a churchwarden I had Dan make one for one of the pipes I was buying so it's convertible.

Last edited by Commander Quan; 10-08-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #455
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post

That thing is gorgeous!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #456
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

You have fine taste in Pipes and tobacco Derrick
Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #457
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Thanks. I thought I had posted these before, but maybe not. I'm glad that I bought the extra stem. I'd wanted a churchwarden, but didn't want to be completely committed to only having the long stem. I had thought about having a churchwarden stem made for my Green 999 Spigot, but when this opportunity presented it's self it was too good to pass up. Boswell's does not hand cut their churchwarden stems, but instead use and modify pre fab stems. This keeps the cost low, but if that's not what you are looking for you may want to pass. The only difference it really makes it that the stem is very thin, which makes it light, but also if you try to clench it can be pretty unsteady.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #458
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
Thanks. I thought I had posted these before, but maybe not. I'm glad that I bought the extra stem. I'd wanted a churchwarden, but didn't want to be completely committed to only having the long stem. I had thought about having a churchwarden stem made for my Green 999 Spigot, but when this opportunity presented it's self it was too good to pass up. Boswell's does not hand cut their churchwarden stems, but instead use and modify pre fab stems. This keeps the cost low, but if that's not what you are looking for you may want to pass. The only difference it really makes it that the stem is very thin, which makes it light, but also if you try to clench it can be pretty unsteady.
Ah, that can be a deal breaker for me. I clench for about 90% of each bowl I smoke, so if it doesn't hang right I end up smoking the pipe significantly less
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #459
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

If that's the case, you probably won't be happy with any churchwarden unless it's something with almost a full bend that you can let hang from your mouth. There's just too much leverage placed on the jaw to be comfortable otherwise.

I'm a clencher as well, which was my primary reason for not wanting a standalone churchwarden. The Hans Christian Anderson line is another option for a pipe with 2 stems.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #460
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

About 1 1/2 months into pipes and I'm pretty sure I have enough for a cellar

This came today

This over a few weeks not counting the stuff that's in jars.