Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-08-2018, 03:34 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Flor de Las Antillas Benelux

In 2012 My Father Cigars released their, what I suspect is their best seller and most praised cigar yet, the Flor de Las Antillas. A Nicaraguan puro that was the first ever My Father Cigars cigar that made the #1 spot on the Cigar Aficionado Cigar of the Year list. The cigar got released during the 91st birthday of Federal Cigars but it wasn’t ment to be a limited edition, just a pre-release.

Due to the success a few vitolas were made as limited editions, like a lancero but also a 5 3/8×58 gordo for the Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxemburg) when the two distributers Marc (Belgium and Luxemburg) and Sasja (Netherlands) requested a limited edition of the same blend for their countries. As I was working for Sasja I sold these and they sold well. I have one left in my collection, I guess that’s worthy of a review in ff’in february right?

The cigar comes packed in cellophane and has the regular Flor de Las Antillas ring, the very detailed, century old, oricinally Cuban artwork, high quality paintwork and a foot ring made of of cloth, burgundy colored with golden letters BENELUX to show it’s a limited edition. The mocha colored wrapper is clearly sun grown, not only because it’s mentioned on the ring but you can see that the sun did its work on the wrapper. I see some veins too. The construction feels good and the cap is placed decent. The aroma is strong and barnyard or stable before it’s cleaned.

When I cut the cigar and try the cold draw I taste a quite spicy and peppery raisin and dry tobacco flavor with a close to perfect draw. I also notice my dislike to big ring cigars but that aside. After lighting I taste a peppery vanilla cream. After half an inch I also taste some lime with the creamy vanilla but the pepper is gone, instead there is some dry herbal flavor in the aftertaste. After an inch the pepper returns. Halfway I taste more pepper with some wood and some lime, on the back there is some licorice. I also still taste some creamy vanilla. The final third is creamy vanilla, nuts, pepper and herbs. The pepper fluctuates in strength.

The draw is fantastic. The ash is gray and has clear rings. The ash is firm too. The light gray ash is medium thick and medium in volume. The burn is a little off but no need for corrections though. The cigar is medium full in flavor and strength with a decent evolution. The smoke time is an hour and forty five minutes.

Would I buy this cigar again? The cigar is too thick for me, love the blend but in a different size.

Score: 91

https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...illas-benelux/