Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
mrreindeer

Default my trip to NYC & small haul

On Wednesday of last week, I woke up on the other side of the country. Completely confused, not knowing how I got there, what I was doing there or how I was going to crash Obama's charity dinner featuring Bruce Springsteen & Billy Joel, I immediately attempted to regain my composure. The only way I know how to do that, of course, is to visit a couple cigar stores in New York City that I hadn't been to before (which leaves a lot because I've only been to Barclay-Rex in the past) and treat myself to some great smokes.

First up was Davidoff on Madison where Scottw talked me through a very difficult episode wherein I had felt like a nightmare had come true and I actually lived in NYC (no offense - I could do it for about 3 months, I figure). Scottw was instrumental in recommending some great cigars for me. I picked up a Padron 2000, 2 Cusano 18 Double Connecticut Robustos & 3 Oliva Special S Tubos (papajohn had introduced me to that great cigar).

Then I headed over to JR's on 5th Ave, the world's largest cigar store. WOW. That place is huge and spans two floors. I picked up a Camacho Triple Maduro Torpedo, a Montecristo Serie C Toro (which I smoked on my hotel balcony - delicious), a Cohiba Extra Vigoroso Toro, a Partagas 1845 Toro, a Fonseca Cubano Viso Fuerte Toro and a sweet H. Upmann ashtray to use on my hotel balcony when I had clients over.

JR's (they didn't allow pictures to be taken inside):

The haul:

Out on my hotel balcony:

Old 10-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
troutbreath
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
troutbreath is on a distinguished road
Default Re: my trip to NYC & small haul

Nice photos! I have never been to that store, even after spending quite a bit of time in NYC.

JR in NC gets WAY too many visits from me, though.
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

very very nice, I need to visit NYC one of these days

I like the ashtray
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

Looks like a great time. Some day I will make it out to NY. I have a great friend out there.

Thanks for sharing
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
Darrell

Great photos, glad you had fun!
Old 10-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Hey buddy, it was great talking to you.Hope you enjoy those tasty treats. Call me up with some notice next time you are in town and we can try to get a herf going. I appreciate you reaching out to me. Can't wait to hang out.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
Padron42
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (8)
Partagas
Padron42 is on a distinguished road

Was that Padron in your pic from JR's?? I go to the ones in North Carolina every once and a while and didn't think they carried Padrons there...I may check tomorrow on the drive by.

Edit: Crap, just read your post and saw you picked it up at another store. Oh well.

Last edited by Padron42; 10-18-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Padron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

That sounds like a great trip. Nice smokes, I love the Oliva S and the Tiple Maduros. I hope I can make it to NY some day.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:39 PM   #9
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

Good job.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:43 PM   #10
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Thanks for the photos bro, makes me feel like I was there with you.
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #11
AriesOpusX
Goodfella

Trading: (0)
AriesOpusX is on a distinguished road

Looks like you had fun. I love going to that JR's, did you get a chance to check out the mix grab bag cigars that have damaged wrappers etc?
AriesOpusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:59 AM   #12
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Wow... that is my kind of side trip!! Thanks for sharing and for the photos.
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #13
Gargoyle
Got Coffee?

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gargoyle will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sharing the pics! I definitely need to make a road trip to NYC soon now!

I have always gone to Nat Sherman's -- old habit and I just like the place. I'm definitely going to give Davidoff and JR's a try now... thank you!
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:01 AM   #14
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Very cool! I was surprised how reasonable the prices were at Davidoff...
Old 10-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #15
LkyLindy
Chief Cook/Bottle Washer

First Name: Harvey
RyJ AirForce (Served With Honor)
LkyLindy is on a distinguished road

Nice selection --thats some view you had there
LkyLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #16
mrreindeer

Thanks fellas, definitely good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriesOpusX View Post
Looks like you had fun. I love going to that JR's, did you get a chance to check out the mix grab bag cigars that have damaged wrappers etc?
No, you know, I was so overwhelmed by the massive quantities of cigars, singles, boxes, 5'ers, humidors, the damn impressive humidification system and also confused by the guy I apologized to for bringing my Davidoff bag into their store (who, when I asked what he'd recommend, said and I quote, "Oh, I've never smoked a cigar in my life.")

Why the heck would they hire a guy to work in a cigar store who's never had a cigar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
Thanks for sharing the pics! I definitely need to make a road trip to NYC soon now!

I have always gone to Nat Sherman's -- old habit and I just like the place. I'm definitely going to give Davidoff and JR's a try now... thank you!
Adding Nat Sherman's to my list for next time! Never heard of it, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Hey buddy, it was great talking to you.Hope you enjoy those tasty treats. Call me up with some notice next time you are in town and we can try to get a herf going. I appreciate you reaching out to me. Can't wait to hang out.
Great talking with you too Scott; absolutely going to herf with you on the next trip out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
Very cool! I was surprised how reasonable the prices were at Davidoff...
You know, me too! Especially on the Oliva Special S which I believe is a discontinued line. If I recall, I nabbed 'em for $10 a stick. I was so excited I forgot to look to see if they charge tax in NY or not....

On a sidenote, I took out my Camacho Triple Maduro over this past weekend to smoke and put it and a 2nd cigar in my case should a buddy want or need. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to smoke it (but I did get to smoke the Fonseca this weekend - I really enjoyed it) but we were at a British bar/restaurant in Santa Monica on Saturday to wish a friend who is leaving town to go back home to New Orleans well and we were chatting with the bar/restaurant manager who happened to be British. Nice chap and it turns out he used to be in the cigar business.

I thought I'd show him the two sticks I had in my case (to see what he thought of them) and was freaking appalled at what he did next. He proceeded to shove one and then the next up into his nostril to 'smell the ammonia', whereby he was able to tell that my Fonseca Cubano Viso Fuerte Toro and my Gurkha G5 Avenger Toro were cheap (and therefore bad) cigars. WTF!!!

Now I have the boogered cigars still in the case and I'm considering throwing out the whole lot, case & all. Have you brothers & sisters ever heard of anybody doing this to somebody else's cigars? Talk about no freaking class.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 AM   #17
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
No, you know, I was so overwhelmed by the massive quantities of cigars, singles, boxes, 5'ers, humidors, the damn impressive humidification system and also confused by the guy I apologized to for bringing my Davidoff bag into their store (who, when I asked what he'd recommend, said and I quote, "Oh, I've never smoked a cigar in my life.")

Why the heck would they hire a guy to work in a cigar store who's never had a cigar?
I did this same B&M (Davidoff vs JR cigar) run in NYC in early Sept. I too was completely overwhelmed with JRs selection of smokes.

As far as the clerk who "never smoked a cigar". I noticed in the half hour I spent there, they like to mess with the customers a bit. Its our east coast sick sense of humor.

For example, I asked the clerk ringing me up if I could buy some of the 5 finger bags that they pack your cigars in. He said that he absolutely could not sell me those bags, rang me up and then said, naww, im just f-ing with ya... and gave me about a dozen for free.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #18
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thanks fellas, definitely good times.

Adding Nat Sherman's to my list for next time! Never heard of it, thank you!

Great talking with you too Scott; absolutely going to herf with you on the next trip out.

You know, me too! Especially on the Oliva Special S which I believe is a discontinued line. If I recall, I nabbed 'em for $10 a stick. I was so excited I forgot to look to see if they charge tax in NY or not....

On a sidenote, I took out my Camacho Triple Maduro over this past weekend to smoke and put it and a 2nd cigar in my case should a buddy want or need. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to smoke it (but I did get to smoke the Fonseca this weekend - I really enjoyed it) but we were at a British bar/restaurant in Santa Monica on Saturday to wish a friend who is leaving town to go back home to New Orleans well and we were chatting with the bar/restaurant manager who happened to be British. Nice chap and it turns out he used to be in the cigar business.

I thought I'd show him the two sticks I had in my case (to see what he thought of them) and was freaking appalled at what he did next. He proceeded to shove one and then the next up into his nostril to 'smell the ammonia', whereby he was able to tell that my Fonseca Cubano Viso Fuerte Toro and my Gurkha G5 Avenger Toro were cheap (and therefore bad) cigars. WTF!!!

Now I have the boogered cigars still in the case and I'm considering throwing out the whole lot, case & all. Have you brothers & sisters ever heard of anybody doing this to somebody else's cigars? Talk about no freaking class.
That's unbeleivable about the nostil guy. I would have beat the ever loving s*%t out of him.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:52 AM   #19
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
the bar/restaurant manager who happened to be British. Nice chap and it turns out he used to be in the cigar business.

Thats just how the Brits say hello!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #20
Jay Hemingway
I know because of KRS1

Trading: (7)
LFdC
Jay Hemingway will become famous soon enough

what hotel did you stay at?
Jay Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote