Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Jack Straw
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (3)
Jack Straw is on a distinguished road
Default Cigars at Costco?

My girlfriend told me that she saw cigars at costco. I asked if she meant the typical convenience store fare, but she said they were "real cigars!"

I am going to investigate as soon as I get the chance.

Has anyone heard of this?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cigars at Costco?

Never heard of it...curious though. Let us know what you find.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
NJ stogie King

Andrew,

I have seen the cigars at Costco!! Unfortunately I have to go with my girlfriend so I never purchase, but they are really nice smokes that they have there!! I cannot guarantee that they are humidified because I do not recall seeing them in a humidor but rather a nice wooden display case, but they are whole boxes......no singles! I have seen RyJ's, Nat Sherman's, Hoyo's, El Rey's, and some other's that escape me right now!! They are there though....check them out!!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ stogie King View Post
Andrew,

I have seen the cigars at Costco!! Unfortunately I have to go with my girlfriend so I never purchase, but they are really nice smokes that they have there!! I cannot guarantee that they are humidified because I do not recall seeing them in a humidor but rather a nice wooden display case, but they are whole boxes......no singles! I have seen RyJ's, Nat Sherman's, Hoyo's, El Rey's, and some other's that escape me right now!! They are there though....check them out!!
Wow that is impressive
Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
NJ stogie King

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner View Post
Wow that is impressive

Yep!! They also have samplers there as well!! In the Costco that I go to.....Central NJ.....they keep a steady supply of the same brand names!!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Sam's also has/had a selection of "real" cigars. I wonder though at teh slikks of teh $7.25 workers to maintain it correctly. The devil site is my friend.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Costco here in Newport News, Virginia has cigars in their store. Three months ago, they used to be stored in a humidor, behind glass doors. Went last week and these cigars were just laying on wooden pallets on the floor. Prices weren't that hot either. Had a few off the wall sticks and a few brand name..RyJ & Punch...but were charging way too much for the brand name sticks. Wife has gone to a few B&Ms with me..and even she got a chuckle out of it.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Sam's also has/had a selection of "real" cigars. I wonder though at teh slikks of teh $7.25 workers to maintain it correctly. The devil site is my friend.
The workers at the MI stores make much more then that. Starting is around 12 bucks an hour, and if you are reliable you get moved up pretty quickly..

Buying cigars at Sam's/Costco just doesn't seem to fit.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
Jack Straw
Still Watching My Back

Yeah, I doubted they would beat the prices of cbid or even normal CI/FS/Whatever for mass market stuff, still want to check it out though. If they are in a humidor and the price is right...
Old 06-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Cigary

I've seen some decent cigars at Costco in the past,,,a lot of stores will carry different brands but for every store I have seen them in they are either on a table or in the tobacco section which is not in a humidor. I'd say be careful what you buy as a non humidified cigar can be trouble. Usually Costco will honor your purchase so check you before you buy,,,if they honor your purchase then by all means check it out and try a couple.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Yeah, I doubted they would beat the prices of cbid or even normal CI/FS/Whatever for mass market stuff, still want to check it out though. If they are in a humidor and the price is right...
Not to mention you might just really want a smoke...sometimes you just gotta get some if you see em!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
Jack Straw
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner View Post
Not to mention you might just really want a smoke...sometimes you just gotta get some if you see em!
Just another excuse to buy more...LOL!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I have never seen them at my Costco, but I will look closer the next time I am there.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
tchariya
Taters of the lost Ark

Trading: (13)
RG
tchariya will become famous soon enoughtchariya will become famous soon enough

They sell them at the Costcos near me, but they are not kept in the right rh/temps. I wouldn't recommend buying them.
tchariya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:25 AM   #15
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Even a dry(er) cigar beats no cigar when you have a jonesing...

Trust me, I've smoked cigars from all sorts of places when I'm out and in a bind, even Cohibos that I knew were fakes, just because they were tobacco.

Of course, not all of you have a 5-8 a day habit either
Old 06-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #16
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ stogie King View Post
Andrew,

That's about the selection. They're teamed with JR's cigars and get their special boxes around Fathers day and Christmas. They usually have a case for the regular stock of Monte's, Romeos and La Finca's but it's rarely tended and usually overhumidfied. The Cigars are all shrink wrapped and are on display on pallets. We're told they have a shelf life of around 6 months out in the open. The prices don't beat JR's so only grab them if they have a sale. I ran the Pentagon City stores cigarette/cigar section for a few years, so any more questions LMK.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:50 AM   #17
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

I've seen cigars at mine, only during holidays though...
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #18
Jack Straw
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
That's about the selection. They're teamed with JR's cigars and get their special boxes around Fathers day and Christmas. They usually have a case for the regular stock of Monte's, Romeos and La Finca's but it's rarely tended and usually overhumidfied. The Cigars are all shrink wrapped and are on display on pallets. We're told they have a shelf life of around 6 months out in the open. The prices don't beat JR's so only grab them if they have a sale. I ran the Pentagon City stores cigarette/cigar section for a few years, so any more questions LMK.
Haha, that's the same costco she saw them at. Sounds like I'm better off not tempting myself though.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #19
kaelaria
Cigarobsession.com Baby!

First Name: Bryan
HUpmann
kaelaria is on a distinguished road

Hey I just saw them at mine! Unfortunately they came in a jar of 1,000.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #20
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about

they have them at the costco by me, my neighbor bought a box of monites at a better price then what he would have paid at the B&M... he was happy...
SmokinApe is offline   Reply With Quote