Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
BTcigars will become famous soon enough
Default Zippo Fuel Alternative

I know this has been discussed before but I have yet to find a sufficient answer. I am looking to see if there there is a alternative fuel that can be used in traditional Zippo lighters.

I was thinking about 91% isophoric alcohol but I heard that when it burns it smells quite badly. Then I was thinking about denatured alcohol but the fact that it is purposely manufactured with methanol, which is very toxic, and thus I wonder if it is safe to use (despite it already being used for portable camping grills).

In conclusion, I just want to use a "Made in USA" lighter that can use a fuel that is comparable to butane. Also, I know about the ZippoBlu but I just dont like that lighter.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Zippo Fuel Alternative

gasoline baby
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Haha I actually read a post where someone tried using gas when I did a search for this on the rest of the interwebs
Old 10-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

have you looked into the vector thunderbird insert?
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43049
Old 10-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

I have but I am wanting to use a American made lighter. Tired of all of the stuff from China. Besides, the classic Zippo design lasts for eons.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTcigars View Post
I have but I am wanting to use a American made lighter. Tired of all of the stuff from China. Besides, the classic Zippo design lasts for eons.
You use your zippo shell and just replace the guts. if i remember correctly the insert says made in USA on it. I will verify when i get home at 7am. also it comes with a lifetime warranty
Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Really?! I look forward to finding out if thats true!
Old 10-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Prospector
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Mike
Trading: (11)
Prospector will become famous soon enough

I have a Thunderbird torch flame insert but nowhere does it say where it is made - neither on the packaging, the directions, nor the product itself. You may have to contact the manufacturer/reseller directly to find out.
Try starting with www.vectorkgm.com and see if they have a contact page.
Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Have you tried the Zippo fuel in the black can? If you let the flame burn for a couple of seconds there is no detectable flavor. Zippo reformulated their fuel and couple of years ago to remove the strong smell and taste.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Zippo Blu that is flint and butane. All made in USA, 100% Zippo, and no insert or any of that stuff. It was a gift set that came with butane, extra flints and the lighter.

On the traditional zippo question, I've watched old-timers put kerosene in their zippos. I worked at a gas station when I was a kid and they'd go to the pump and get the few drips that were in the nozzle. I thought for years that was how you were supposed to fill a zippo.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a pic of the gift set, mine is polished chrome, but you'll get the gist...

Old 10-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Camp gas also works in a pinch. You know, the Coleman can of white gas for laterns and camp stoves? Yeah, that stuff.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Camp gas also works in a pinch. You know, the Coleman can of white gas for laterns and camp stoves? Yeah, that stuff.
We always used plain old unleaded for the coleman stuff. That was back when there was still leaded gas, and they called unleaded "white gas". I forgot all about that stuff, like "gas used to be brown".
I had no idea you could use it in a zippo, but it stands to reason.
Thanks for taking me back memory lane, Todd.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
We always used plain old unleaded for the coleman stuff. That was back when there was still leaded gas, and they called unleaded "white gas". I forgot all about that stuff, like "gas used to be brown".
I had no idea you could use it in a zippo, but it stands to reason.
Thanks for taking me back memory lane, Todd.
Not a problem, I like jogging your memory - I like to see the dust come out your ears.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #15
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

I checked and it does not say on the insert. I shot them an email. Awaiting a reply.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Thanks for all the help guys
Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #17
w squared

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Yup...that stuff will work like a charm....but it does absolutely leave behind a taste almost the same as the original zippo fuel.

One thing to keep in mind - this stuff will evaporate out of the lighter in a day or two even if it's not used.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #18
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

For the record, the *new* Zippo fuel is odorless and flavorless when burned, this I have personally verified for my pipe. The old version is no longer produced, but Zippo only made a halfhearted effort to pull the existing stock back.

The safest option is ethanol, which simply converts to carbon dioxide and water vapor during combustion. You're going to run into a handful of problems trying to use an alternative fuel though. Most fuels are designed to have a relatively low vapor point as to be easily ignited, but are mixed with other compounds to improve the ability to keep when not in a sealed container. Ethanol would evaporate too fat to have any viable keeping power.