Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Reserva Miraflor - Robusto

It's not often you get the chance to to smoke a cigar shortly after its inception. I'm glad I jumped on the chance to this time.

Cigar: Reserva Miraflor - Robusto

When I saw that Andy was offering up some 5ers to sample to the inmates here, I decided to jump at the chance (as of the time of this post, there's still some 5ers left - Here's a link to the thread). Having zero expectations (either good or bad) as to what to expect, I must say Andy has himself a winner with this cigar.

Prior to lighting, I studied its semi-dark wrapper with slight mottling. Quite smooth and very well rolled. After cutting, I found the prelight draw was absolutely perfect with a slight nuttiness to it.

The cigar lit well and had a very very consistent burn, not one touch-up. Copious amounts of smoke. Great construction and performance.

So, you wonder, what did it taste like? The nuttiness noted with the prelight draw remained, while developing one of my very favorite cigar flavors, citrus. All of this was accompanied by slight nuances of cocoa and peat. The peat came and went and makes me think a nice scotch may pair well with this stick. Oh, that reminds me -- I accompanied the cigar with Sam Adams Cream Stout. Went well together.

Strength wise (Nic wise) I would say it's medium strength, becoming medium-full in the last third. Not overpowering, but a nice kick.

Overall, I really enjoyed this cigar. Interestingly, a cigar came to mind in trying to draw comparisons. I smoked a Partagas 160 (NC) (thanks to snowy ) last summer that I still remember having a noticeable citrus flavor. This cigar reminded me of that experience. Did I mention I like citrus?

Using my formula for ratings, I give this cigar a 9.35/10. If the price is right ($6-8) I definitely can see myself buying more.

I suggest buying some from the thread linked above, it's a nubber. If you don't like them, I might buy them!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reserva Miraflor - Robusto

Nice review! I agree that these are great cigars!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Andrew handed me one of these Saturday. Looking forward to smoking it.
Thanks for the review.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
tobii3

I gotta cut'n'paste my feeble attempt at a review here....

(from the other thread)

annihilated the Robusto tonight. absolutely NO rest time from the package (maybe 2 hours before it was lit??)

Most here would say I have charcoal for taste buds...hear me out.

I switched between three drinks to make sure I could honestly "taste" what I thought I was tasting.

Guinness, Coke, and plain water.

My notes -

- Pre-light - excellent - draw was very easy -

- Not a single burn issue (no kidding) - solid ash that held firm

- the draw - well, as I joked with my buddies, you could "chew" the smoke

- Now, I switched between drinks because I thought the Guinness was masking some of the flavor - going to the Coke, I realized it was actually complementing the flavors - going to water helped me identify it easily. Coffee, chocolate(cocoa) and, well, there were, in my lava tastebuds, almost a creamy taste in there as well. The last inch or so, I swear it got a floral aroma....It wasn't like ""oooh, roses"....just a slight aroma in there.

Overall, I give this a solid thumbs up. Smoking a cigar OTT with NO burn issues and having these sort of results does NOT happen often. I was impressed!!!

I'm thinking Andy's on to something here.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Great Review!

I have smoked about 5 of these in different sizes and loved everyone
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote