Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Malazan is on a distinguished road
Default Cigar of the month clubs

Being a new cigar smoker, I was wondering if any of these COM clubs are worth joining?

Seems like a good way to try new cigars

If any of them are worth while, which do you suggest

Thanks
Old 02-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cigar of the month clubs

I know a couple people that get this through CI, I see what they get every month and I would rather use that money on something I choose most often. If you do not know what you want to buy, I say go for it, you should be able to cancel at anytime. If you have the money to blow, it is pretty exciting now knowing what you will receive every month.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Don't do it. You're welcome.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Buy singles and samplers, you'll get a better value than a club.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

SvilleKid has disabled reputation

The one done by "monthlyclubs(dot)com" comes to mind because my sister gets me their beer-of-the-month sampler each year for Christmas. I looked into that one a while back, and find the cigars are nothing that cannot be found locally at a much better price than the club offers. There are many awesome samplers on cigarbid that can often be had for little more than a couple of dollars per cigar, and on better selections than most of the club deals.

One thing to consider, whatever you end up with. From personal lessons learned: Don't judge ANY of the cigars in the samplers based on one stick. Differences in humidity, aging, past and present storage can all give a stick different draws and tastes. So, if you can, look for samplers that have at least two of each cigar. Smoke one as soon as it has stabilized in your humidor. Then come back in 3-4 months and smoke the other one! I've been surprised so many times with the second stick, that I hardly post reviews of the first stick I smoke in a line.

Oh yeah...... If you haven't already heard of Cigarbid, I'm sorry to be the one to kick you down that terribly slippery slope!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I have enjoyed my experience with CI's C.O.T.M.C. I signed up for the 8 stick deal ($30 a month) this way I have 4 extra sticks to give away, + there is a nice write up of the sticks you receive and a % off if you care to buy more....I say try it.

As a matter of fact I should be receiving my Feb sticks today.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
I have enjoyed my experience with CI's C.O.T.M.C. I signed up for the 8 stick deal ($30 a month) this way I have 4 extra sticks to give away, + there is a nice write up of the sticks you receive and a % off if you care to buy more....I say try it.

As a matter of fact I should be receiving my Feb sticks today.
Post pics. I'm curious.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
Post pics. I'm curious.
This was January's

Old 02-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Dang my hide!!!! I haven't been to the devil site in probably 2 years. But just did a quick peek to make sure I was correct in my advice when I said samplers still often around $2 per stick. Dang. I sure saw a bunch of stuff over there I would love to have! Forget the fact that I have more cigars than I can ever smoke! I gotta have more. More I tell you!

OP'er John: Take my advice..... Stay away. Once the devil site gets in your blood (and your wallet), it's non-stop downhill from there!!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

6/8 are decent-good smokes wow! this looks like trying.

Thanks.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Dang my hide!!!! I haven't been to the devil site in probably 2 years. But just did a quick peek to make sure I was correct in my advice when I said samplers still often around $2 per stick. Dang. I sure saw a bunch of stuff over there I would love to have! Forget the fact that I have more cigars than I can ever smoke! I gotta have more. More I tell you!

OP'er John: Take my advice..... Stay away. Once the devil site gets in your blood (and your wallet), it's non-stop downhill from there!!
Well, don't keep it a secret....what samplers ya looking at?
Old 02-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Well, don't keep it a secret....what samplers ya looking at?
Well, there was this sampler of Graycliff 50th annis that practically screamed at me!!!! I've always liked their sticks. Luckily, my payment details are way outdated, so I was saved from having to bid on them. Still.......

Damn you, Cigarbid!

But, back to samplers... They had several 12 to 20 cigar samplers closing in 2 days that were still at, or below $2 per stick. On very smokable (especially for those new to cigars and still developing their tastes). Hard to beat those prices at monthly clubs!

But, I guess when you add up all the extra costs associated with Cbid (multi-purchases, extra humidors, coolers, humidification products, yada, yada, yada...), monthly clubs might not be that bad of a deal! But wait.... aren't all those things (except maybe coolers) also available on Cbid?

Last edited by SvilleKid; 02-23-2012 at 01:42 PM.
SvilleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Well, there was this sampler of Graycliff 50th annis that practically screamed at me!!!! I've always liked their sticks. Luckily, my payment details are way outdated, so I was saved from having to bid on them. Still.......

Damn you, Cigarbid!

But, back to samplers... They had several 12 to 20 cigar samplers closing in 2 days that were still at, or below $2 per stick. On very smokable (especially for those new to cigars and still developing their tastes). Hard to beat those prices at monthly clubs!

But, I guess when you add up all the extra costs associated with Cbid (multi-purchases, extra humidors, coolers, humidification products, yada, yada, yada...), monthly clubs might not be that bad of a deal! But wait.... aren't all those things (except maybe coolers) also available on Cbid?

I got to admit this is a pretty sweet deal
http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/...ler-10-Cigars/
Old 02-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Don't do it. You're welcome.
I agree.

Visit your local cigar shop and buy a few singles, report back to them on your impressions, and go from there. Be cheaper, and have less duds.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

You might want to keep a cigar journal, nothing special, just some notes to yourself.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Buy singles and samplers, you'll get a better value than a club.

Justin is right, though. Make your own CoMC; take the monthly $ you would give somebody else and choose a sampler for yourself at your local B&M. That way you try what you want to try, not the filler around a couple good sticks that a lot of these clubs give you.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

If you want sticks the shops wouldn't otherwise sell many of without selling in grab bags and cigar of the month clubs, go for it.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

For some people I could see the COTM club working for them. It can kind of help you budget what you spend every month. Most give write ups about the smokes they send and that might help you with figuring out the different flavor notes that each cigar has.
Are they the best deal per stick, no, but for someone brand new to cigars, I can see where they might be helpful.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

My is that it's either hit or miss. With my luck, it'd be a lot of miss.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #20
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (17)
Digs will become famous soon enough

I have been enrolled in the CI cigar club for over 5 years, its only $20 per month shipped! Some months 1-2 stick alone are worth the $20 go for it like I said its only $20 heck at most B&M's you cant even by 1-2 sub premiums for that.

A gun in your hand is better then a cop on the phone
Digs is offline   Reply With Quote