Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #41
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gurkha the monticristo of NCs

Reaver2145 - Making friends and influencing people!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #42
ChicagoWhiteSox

Yum Gurkhas, the lovely taste of metal and top soil
Old 02-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #43
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

I always felt Gurkha's were the Gurkha's of the NC world, really not much else to compare them to. Taste like sh!t, smoke like sh!t. But like what you smoke, smoke what you like.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #44
44stampede
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (21)
Cohiba
44stampede will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
I always felt Gurkha's were the Gurkha's of the NC world, really not much else to compare them to. Taste like sh!t, smoke like sh!t. But like what you smoke, smoke what you like.
This.
By the way I asked the same question about "why is everyone so hard on these smokes here". Then I smoked the cuban selection.
Again, if these sticks were a buck each it would be different but they weren't. I got suckered by the ads and reviews on a large cigar site. The reviews part really bothers me as people were saying these were the sticks they put away for special occasions! If that is true, holy shite. These poor bastards. I just don't think they are legit (can't be with some of the flavors I taste in it)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #45
maninblack
Will smoke for food

Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

K. Hansotia is a marketing genius because he keeps putting crap out on the market and people keep buying them. Maybe I'm just a snob, but I don't think so. Of course some people would say the same about Pete Johnson.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #46
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
K. Hansotia is a marketing genius because he keeps putting crap out on the market and people keep buying them. Maybe I'm just a snob, but I don't think so. Of course some people would say the same about Pete Johnson.
True. Except PJ's cigars are far from crap. I'm not a huge fan of his cigars but I do recognize they are of high quality. Gurkhas on the other hand . . .
Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #47
maninblack
Will smoke for food

Partagas

Yeah I love Pete's smokes. I'm just saying each manufacturer has their detractors. But I honestly feel Pete puts alot of heart and soul and hard work into his blends. Hansotia just throws something together and calls it gold. Like that cognac infused crap he came out with.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #48
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
But I honestly feel Pete puts alot of heart and soul and hard work into his blends.
With all those 'special releases' and 'exclusives' and 'an elite club'.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #49
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Just finished the cellar reserve, good not great, should have bought a couple more undercrowns instead. Oh well.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #50
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
With all those 'special releases' and 'exclusives' and 'an elite club'.
What cigar company doesn't do that?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #51
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
What cigar company doesn't do that?
I think he means the shear quantity of the limited releases and shop exclusives. Also I don't think there are too many cigar companies with a "membership club".
Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #52
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I think he means the shear quantity of the limited releases and shop exclusives. Also I don't think there are too many cigar companies with a "membership club".
I get that but look at DPG, Rocky Patel, Fuente, hell even Padron has B&M exclusives and "special editions". PJ's fan club isn't exclusive-its not like you need to pass a prerequisite to gain entrance- all you need is $150. Whats so wrong about a fan club anyway?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #53
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Not only that, but considering the shear quantity, you'd have to imagine there's a lot of 'throw a new band on an old cigar' type of thing going on and call it "limited". Just my thought though.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #54
maninblack
Will smoke for food

Partagas

Again, if you don't have the $150 to spend on the S & S membership, then don't whine about those that do or complain that he has a "fan" club. People buy into what he's selling. Why? Because he makes great smokes. Rant over. I need my coffee.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #55
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Again, if you don't have the $150 to spend on the S & S membership, then don't whine about those that do or complain that he has a "fan" club. People buy into what he's selling. Why? Because he makes great smokes. Rant over. I need my coffee.
No one was whining about those people who "buy" into PJ's "fan" club. I think I know why Bill mentioned it though.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #56
maninblack
Will smoke for food

Partagas

So do I. Everytime PJ's name is mentioned, Bill is there. But thats what makes this site great. We all have differing opinions and can keep it civil. Most of the time.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #57
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
So do I. Everytime PJ's name is mentioned, Bill is there. But thats what makes this site great. We all have differing opinions and can keep it civil. Most of the time.
Not everyone buys into the gimmicks for average cigars at best with price tags that are insane. I don't, and many people here don't. However, I thought the original P series was a good cigar with an appropriate price tag. That's an outlier though
Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #58
maninblack
Will smoke for food

Partagas

Viaje does the same thing Pete does, if not worse. Andre Farkas is also good at marketing, but most of his smokes are lacking in areas. IMHO.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #59
Islayphile
Wee Dram Hunter

First Name: Mike
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Islayphile is on a distinguished road

If paper mache thin wrappers and totally flavorless cigars are your thing, then I say Gurkha is for you!

Now all you have to do is pick a blend

There's only eleventy billion of them.

I bet Kaizad can't even remember them all.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #60
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver2145 View Post
So dose anyone els find the Gurkhas to be inconsistent or am i just having a really bad run of luck and if i am can you suggest a good Gurkha with a flavour other than burning carpet maybe dark chocolate and spice with earthy notes like a nice montie edmundo.
I found the few Gurkhas I smoked very consistent... consistently not good!
Never really had any construction issues, just never really had any good flavors and left my mouth feeling stale.