Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #21
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: Plume or mold?!?

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #22
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

I've never seen a bad batch like that before...glad everyone else has the knowledge in here to specially say what it is that way I know for future purchases and whatnot. Does look like mold to me but...I wouldn't smoke them
Old 12-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #23
AmsterDan
Ischn't dat Wiert?!

Trading: (0)
AmsterDan is on a distinguished road

Holy crap, that's bad ... really bad! Disregard my suggestions.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #24
mash
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
mash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneycollector View Post
According to Famous this is plume and safe to smoke

I received a bad batch of cigars and FSS rep tries to tell me how this is plume and not mold, and only blue mold is unsafe.

Funny thing is they would let me return them for a refund, but wouldn't let me return them for replacements like I wanted.

....LOL FSS

sorry for the blurry pics

Did you forward pics to them? It's unbelievable that anyone who sees this pic would even think for a microsecond it's plume. Either really clueless or really dishonest.
mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #25
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash View Post
Did you forward pics to them? It's unbelievable that anyone who sees this pic would even think for a microsecond it's plume. Either really clueless or really dishonest.
I don't know if I would say clueless or dishonest, but maybe misinformed. Just because they work for a cigar company does not mean they are as well informed and educated as, say, the fine members of this board. Just sayin...
Old 02-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #26
VirginianTemplar

n00b here, I found this thread while sitting in my accounting class tonight. As luck would have it I received two samplers from FSS today of the very same cigars.

I opened the first and found a spot of mold on one so I picked up the phone and called the 800 number on the invoice. The lady was polite and immediately set out to get a return label to me and another sampler sent my way. After hanging up I opened the other one and found mold on ~half of the gars.

I called back and spoke with someone else. He asked me what color the spots were and as soon as I said "white" he immediately flew into a "That's not mold that's...". Hold the phone hoss, I've seen plume, and I've seen mold in many places on many things. They look nothing alike and I'm not a dummy, despite how I may look.

I offered to send pictures and they gladly accepted them. Here's the reply

"Thank you for your email. My manager, supervisor, and myself all took a look at the pictures you have provided and we can confirm definitely that is in fact plum (bloom) and not mold. Mold would be green or bluish and when you wipe it off the cigar it would leave a stain and can rip the wrap because the mold would seep into the wrapper itself. If you wipe what you have on the cigar right now off, there should be no stain and the wrap will be intact. We have all confirmed what you have is simply plum. You can wipe it off and enjoy your cigars. If we had a littlest suspicion it was mold we would immediately inform you to return the cigars."

I guess there is no such thing as white mold. Tis impossible for it to grow on tobacco. Some guy on the internet said so.

Here's a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R&J LE 5.jpg (100.3 KB, 242 views)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #27
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

send them back.done.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #28
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Yeah I wouldn't order from them anymore.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #29
VirginianTemplar

One mo' pic for good measure. Sure looks crystalline to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R&J LE 1 #2.jpg (54.7 KB, 212 views)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #30
VirginianTemplar

I'll be sending an e-mail off to them tomorrow. It was after COB today when I got their reply. It's one thing to get a product that has mold on it. They were in tubes, and the package was shrink wrapped, there was no way for them to know. However, I don't take being lied to lightly. I don't know how they could willingly be so ignorant or deceitful. Reputation is everything and in the age of the net, all it takes is one PO'd customer to go blazing a trail and you're taking on water. At least the La Aurora Preferidos I ordered showed up fine.

FSS is rating high on my fecal roster.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #31
jluck
Way out there

HdM

Yep...there's plenty of places to buy from. They should treat people with that attitude.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #32
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I got a few AF Double Chateau from FSS with moldy looking spots under the cedar. I just wiped them down and smoked them. Tasted great. That's not to say that FSS shouldn't let you return them if you want though.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #33
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

That is mold....
This is plume... these are some wrappers that i have, that had been aging. after opening the bag you could smell the ammonia

BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #34
VirginianTemplar

I'm actually pretty sensitive to mold, and a few other environmental factors, so my concern is mostly about inhaling spores and ending up with the crap growing in me. I know mold is omnipresent, but what I can't see doesn't tend to bother me. What I can does. I'm funny like that. I'm more put off by their attitude. I wasn't asking for anything for free, nor do I expect it.

I have to wonder if they actually think they're right, or if they think since they're around cigars all day that they know everything and the customers are just unknowing hacks?

When I was in Guatemala I saw the hotel had a walk in humidor with cohibas. I got excited and called for someone to let me in. I looked in the top of one of the boxes and it was covered in a carpet of blue green mold. It was ugly. I just left since I didn't speak Spanish and wouldn't have been able to tell her why I wasn't buying any. These cats speak english.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #35
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginianTemplar View Post
I'm actually pretty sensitive to mold, and a few other environmental factors, so my concern is mostly about inhaling spores and ending up with the crap growing in me. I know mold is omnipresent, but what I can't see doesn't tend to bother me. What I can does. I'm funny like that. I'm more put off by their attitude. I wasn't asking for anything for free, nor do I expect it.

I have to wonder if they actually think they're right, or if they think since they're around cigars all day that they know everything and the customers are just unknowing hacks?

When I was in Guatemala I saw the hotel had a walk in humidor with cohibas. I got excited and called for someone to let me in. I looked in the top of one of the boxes and it was covered in a carpet of blue green mold. It was ugly. I just left since I didn't speak Spanish and wouldn't have been able to tell her why I wasn't buying any. These cats speak english.
I hear you. I just had a similar experience in a local shop. I appreciate it when people are just honest. I can't really say if they were lying or truly don't know better. It isn't limited to cigars either. Its Anything that has to do with sales.

Anyways, I personally just wipe them down if the foot looks okay, but I can respect that not everyone wants to do that, especially given the high cost of cigars. I agree that they should both be honest and allow to to return them. A grocer wouldn't think twice about letting you return moldy bread, regardless of how harmless they may think it is.

I have returned some cigars to FSS with no problem due to cracked wrappers and a beetle hole. Actually, they just sent me replacements as it wasn't enough to warrant the shipping cost to return them. I've never tried to return anything due to mold though.

Welcome to Cigar Asylum!
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #36
jluck
Way out there

HdM

Yep welcome BTW...

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Old 02-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #37
mash
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
mash is on a distinguished road

That's not what you want to be Famous for.
mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #38
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

there is a local store here in leavenworth with a sizeable walk-in humidor. The temp is WAY over 70 and the humidity is so thick that it soaks your clothes! My wife and I paid them a visit (it's the only walk-in humidor within 30 miles) when we arrived here in 2010. The mold on the cigars was ridiculous. Some cigars in the boxes were so thick with mold that you couldn't see a hint of a wrapper or band. We left before we caught some sort of respiratory ailment. The guy running the store (it's in a gas station) wasn't at all concerned. I'll never go back unless someone locally wants to see a case study in mold growth.
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #39
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
tupacboy is on a distinguished road

blacklight if your not for sure
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #40
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Fool, I've seen you smoke moldy cigars before!