Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: should I get him a phone
Yes 12 15.58%
No 65 84.42%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #41
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cell phone debate

Well I'll chime in here. The question is not really does "a" ten year old need a cell phone - the question is does Andy's ten year old son need a cell phone. And really only Andy and his wife can answer that question.

Most of us here really don't know all the conditions and/or circumstances that go with their daily life.

When my oldest daughter was ten she was in band and several other activities. Did I give her a cell phone - yes I did. Did she carry it every day - no she did not. It was a pay as you go phone. She was given the phone only when she went out to a function (school, babysitting, etc) that we would not be attending and returned after she was home. Call it an emergency phone. Today's society is not like when I was a kid and we rode our bikes and played all over hell until dark without telling mom and dad where we were.

She didn't get a real phone until she was 15 - and her sister didn't get one until she was 16.

That's my take on it.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #42
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Two boys of my own, 13 & 15. Neither has a cell phone. Wife and I have them, and use them sparingly - no texting, no internet.

Don't know of many situations where they need a phone. The only times we've given them one of ours is when they will be at an event in which we will not be in attendance (evening basketball game in which they're not playin), and then only so that they can call us to come pick them up. And even at that, do they need one? Not really. There is always the pay phone and a calling card.

I work closely with the local Lutheran School, and most of the kids that do have their own cell phones are a different breed - not a breed I'd like to have living under my roof. It is the spoiled rotten breed. Usually disrespectful of their elders and very narcissistic.

Just say, "no."

Oldest son wanted one, I told him that if he pays for it, he can have one. Took him down to the store to get it. He filled out the paperwork, had the money for it, then they asked him, "Have one of your parents sign for it." He looked at me, I smiled, he turned to the salesperson, "Um, I guess I'm not getting a phone today."

We then talked about monthly bills, how much it costs for a phone. We even looked at what it would cost for him to have a phone on our bill. Then, we talked about texting - and how much that costs. We talked about two words - necessity/need and desire/want. Then we talked about the fact that this would be a monthly expense for him, I'm not going to pay for something he desires/wants, but doesn't "need." If he wants it, then he needs to pay for his share of the monthly expense. He agreed taht he didn't "need" that expense.

Most of the kids that have phones don't pay their bills for it, mom & dad do. They will have a rude awakening when mom & dad tell them to ante up.

He did look into a trak phone, that deal that you buy the phone and the minutes, when you run out, you buy more minutes. Then he thought about the fact that when he really "needs" to have a phone, we let him take one of ours.

My suggestion is that you be a parent. And sometimes, parents say, "no."
By the way, it isn't the cost that is the problem. It is an issue of responsibility. And, the other question is purpose. Phones for kids have become a distraction. They don't go outside anymore for recreation. There is no face-to-face personal contact. Those are some of the other issues.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #43
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Just trying to say that you cannot equate a cell phone for a kid with hockey equipment. You get what you pay for, and even worse, you can seriously hamper or even injure your kid with low quality skates or other equipment

Not to hi-jack, but I can and did equate the cell phone and the skates.... I am 100% confident that the Little Man would be just fine with $300 skates and $100 sticks, neither one would limit his ability to play the game or increase his chance for injury.....

He could also easily get by without a cell phone, but has one....

As long as I know he is a GREAT kid, he is, he will be fortunate.... If the time comes that I feel he does not appreciate what he has or the situation he is in, or does not deserve what has been afforded him.... He will cease to be in that situation....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #44
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

When my kids were swimming regularly (competively) we got them restricted cell phones. Practices and meets were early in the morning and late in the evening and if something came up we wanted them to be able to reach us.

We made it clear what the phone was to be used for and what it was not for and for the most part the kids did the right thing.

We did not get smart phones, no camera, no Internet, no texting plan, etc. Just a basic flip phone. They could only text my wife and I. They did not get any other features until they were 16.

Also, if you just want something for emergencies you can get them any old cell phone and not get the service. As long as the phone is kept charged it can dial 911.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #45
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Also, if you just want something for emergencies you can get them any old cell phone and not get the service. As long as the phone is kept charged it can dial 911.

There is a caveat to that, and it is that the phone technology must still be supported by a carrier. Things like AMPS/TDMA phones which were still being sold as late as 2005-2006 as low cost entry phones all became paperweights in 2008 when all the carriers shut down those services due to the FCC no longer requiring the support of analog cellular transmission standards after February 2008.

In short, any old digital phone that can still get carrier service will work for a 911 call. If in doubt about the functionality of the handset in question, you should be able to test this by dialing 611 or 0 from the phone to connect to the carrier operator who will attempt to sell you service for the phone.

Last edited by T.G; 03-20-2010 at 12:37 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #46
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

I voted yes as they do serve some good purposes besides b.s.ing with friends. I would get him a track phone or other prepaid system where he can't go over the limits with a minute limit for important calls only. Minutes serve sort of like an allowance and as I read from another post - No Text Service! Also allows you to check on him and he had better answer. Any screw-ups and it is gone. Those were the rules around my house and worked out pretty good but you know your family best.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #47
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

My nephews didn't have a cell until they were 16-17 and that was prob a very good parenting move. They don't need a cell phone and if there is an emergency I'm sure one of their friends or someone in the area will have one.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #48
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
Well I'll chime in here. The question is not really does "a" ten year old need a cell phone - the question is does Andy's ten year old son need a cell phone. And really only Andy and his wife can answer that question.
Ron, I would think that if Andy and his wife felt their son "needed" a cell phone, they would have gotten him one....but Andy seems to be asking the question from the context of his son bringing it up, and "wanting" one. Your logic on this makes complete sense, if in fact it had been Andy or his wife's idea.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #49
catfish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I had my first hooker at 10, but a cell phone? Not a chance.

The only thing that shocks me is that it took Tom that long. I would have guessed that by the age of ten he would have been well on his way to filling up a black book already.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #50
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

We got junior one at that age and are glad we did! Easier to keep tabs and arrange pickups and drop offs! A texting plan is a plus too!

Posted via Mobile Device
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #51
catfish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
We got junior one at that age and are glad we did! Easier to keep tabs and arrange pickups and drop offs! A texting plan is a plus too!

Posted via Mobile Device
I was reading this post and something just occurred to me. It seems to me that I heard some where that some cell phones location can be tracked on a PC like a GPS. Maybe I heard wrong, but that could be something to look into. Think of it as a safety issue if u want.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #52
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish2 View Post
I was reading this post and something just occurred to me. It seems to me that I heard some where that some cell phones location can be tracked on a PC like a GPS. Maybe I heard wrong, but that could be something to look into. Think of it as a safety issue if u want.
You can with some phones. Others you can't.

(psst: I mentioned this in post #12)
Old 03-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #53
catfish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
You can with some phones. Others you can't.

(psst: I mentioned this in post #12)
I did read it but I have a short memory. I guess that's why I like long cigars.
I did say that I heard it somewhere (maybe your post is where I heard it).
Old 03-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #54
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
I did read it but I have a short memory. I guess that's why I like long cigars.
I did say that I heard it somewhere (maybe your post is where I heard it).
LOL.

I'm just flinging you crap bro, it was a good opportunity to do so since I was commenting on your post anyway. No big deal to me if someone reiterates something I already said.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #55
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Bingo!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:46 AM   #56
jkim05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (17)
PL
jkim05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post

Most of us here really don't know all the conditions and/or circumstances that go with their daily life.

When my oldest daughter was ten she was in band and several other activities. Did I give her a cell phone - yes I did. Did she carry it every day - no she did not. It was a pay as you go phone. She was given the phone only when she went out to a function (school, babysitting, etc) that we would not be attending and returned after she was home. Call it an emergency phone. Today's society is not like when I was a kid and we rode our bikes and played all over hell until dark without telling mom and dad where we were.

She didn't get a real phone until she was 15 - and her sister didn't get one until she was 16.

That's my take on it.

Ron
I agree with Ron, but I'll add that it's not just a question of need, but appropriateness. Maybe he doesn't need a phone, but what really matters is how appropriate is it for him to have a phone. I got my first phone when I was 13, and that was at a time when many adults still didn't have cell phones. It just made life easier for me and my parents. I never really used the phone much because in general I didn't really care for talking on the phone and this was before phones really had any games (I had snake because it was a nokia).

I see lots of 10 year olds with phones, so maybe I'm a bit numb to how outrageous it is, but it just doesn't seem as shocking to me as it seems for most of the people here. I would say find out why it is he wants a phone. If it's just to play games and stuff, get him an itouch or a gameboy. Also, I'd say ask your wife why she thinks it's so inappropriate. Maybe there's something she sees that you don't. I don't personally have a problem with it, but I don't know your son, so I can't honestly say whether I would give him a phone. My doing so would not be a consequence of his age, but rather his maturity, responsibilty and purpose of the phone.
jkim05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #57
Brilliant

I have seen it happen to my cousins depending on where you live you may socially cripple your child. I agree that 10 yrs old is too young but when your in school its all about keeping up with the jones
Old 03-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #58
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkim05 View Post
I agree with Ron, but I'll add that it's not just a question of need, but appropriateness. Maybe he doesn't need a phone, but what really matters is how appropriate is it for him to have a phone. I got my first phone when I was 13, and that was at a time when many adults still didn't have cell phones. It just made life easier for me and my parents. I never really used the phone much because in general I didn't really care for talking on the phone and this was before phones really had any games (I had snake because it was a nokia).

I see lots of 10 year olds with phones, so maybe I'm a bit numb to how outrageous it is, but it just doesn't seem as shocking to me as it seems for most of the people here. I would say find out why it is he wants a phone. If it's just to play games and stuff, get him an itouch or a gameboy. Also, I'd say ask your wife why she thinks it's so inappropriate. Maybe there's something she sees that you don't. I don't personally have a problem with it, but I don't know your son, so I can't honestly say whether I would give him a phone. My doing so would not be a consequence of his age, but rather his maturity, responsibility and purpose of the phone.
My wife feels it is to young to have a phone pus for the most part he doesn't stray to far from home. The reason he wants a phone is most of his close friends have them . I guess he feels a little left out. Like I said I don't really care one way or the other.If my wife doesn't think it's appropriate then I'm sure we will wait. Thanks for all the input.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #59
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant View Post
I have seen it happen to my cousins depending on where you live you may socially cripple your child. I agree that 10 yrs old is too young but when your in school its all about keeping up with the jones
Probably 95% of schools don't allow phones at school, period. Typically, the rule is, if the teachers see it, it goes to the principal. (From my lovely wife, 15 years as an elementary teacher). That being said, some may allow them in lockers, and turned off.
With kids, I tend to take the "all my friends have them" is sometimes equal to "but 3 or 5 of my 20 friends have them."
Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #60
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
What good can come from a 10 y/o with a phone? None that I can think of. We don't permit our kids to have a phone until they're 16. And even then, I'm not sure it's a real good thing.
Same rule as in our house. Thery won't get them until they're 16, and they will be paying for it themselves with monet from their job. The We'd only pay for it if they're in after school sports, and will need us to come get them. That would include a very limited calling only service. No reason for a kid to have one, IMO. They should be with parents or reachable by a parent's (either theirs or a friends parent) phone at that age anyways.