Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #21
aar0n

Default Re: Just ordered a humidor

haha, thanks everyone for the advice and opinions. I had a good laugh as well as soaked up some useful info. I will definitely not rush it, but due to a small budget at the moment I have to deal with a small humidor. Today I also just tried a CAO L’Anniversaire Cameroon. It was decent but I havent developed a good taste for cigars yet, only my second unflavored cigar since the ACIDS
Old 07-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #22
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Your palette will grow in time brother. I prefer unflavored sticks. The flavored sticks to an unflavored is like smoking cloves and smoking a regular cigarette.

Welcome to the asylum. You definitly got all the advice you needed in the previous 20 posts.

I second not rushing. I second a bigger box when the time comes. I second the beads and packs. I second the Tupperware. Definitly second the digital hygrometer, the analog one that comes with it is usually crap. The only advice I could possibly add would be to find a good spot for your humi. It will take to your room. So, not too hot, not too cold. You can read all about the proper temps in the Asylum but to spare you the 43000 hours of reading and debate, 65 - 70 F should do you well.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #23
aar0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
Your palette will grow in time brother. I prefer unflavored sticks. The flavored sticks to an unflavored is like smoking cloves and smoking a regular cigarette.

Welcome to the asylum. You definitly got all the advice you needed in the previous 20 posts.

I second not rushing. I second a bigger box when the time comes. I second the beads and packs. I second the Tupperware. Definitly second the digital hygrometer, the analog one that comes with it is usually crap. The only advice I could possibly add would be to find a good spot for your humi. It will take to your room. So, not too hot, not too cold. You can read all about the proper temps in the Asylum but to spare you the 43000 hours of reading and debate, 65 - 70 F should do you well.
I would probably have to keep it in the basement the house usually stays at 72-76. Also,
What exactly is a tupper-dor. I have tupperwear containers but how do I make a "tupper-dor".
Old 07-20-2010, 01:40 AM   #24
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

Partagas

Do nothing really. Just put the cigars in the Tupperware and call it a day. I've added a paper towl wet with distiller water but that may even be overboard. If you have a pack, toss it in the a digital hygrometer and just double check to see all is good.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:55 AM   #25
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I Have 10-15 Cigars in A 6.5 X 9 "Sterilite" Tupperware container I Bought From Walmart. I Put One 65%RH Boveda Pack In There & The RH Stays @ 65 For A Year Or More! It's Basically Air Tight, So The RH Is Maintained.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #26
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
I Have 10-15 Cigars in A 6.5 X 9 "Sterilite" Tupperware container I Bought From Walmart. I Put One 65%RH Boveda Pack In There & The RH Stays @ 65 For A Year Or More! It's Basically Air Tight, So The RH Is Maintained.
These containers (Tupperware, Rubbermaid, Sterilite, etc.) make really good travel humidors (depending upon how you are traveling) and also good temporary storage.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #27
CheapHumidors
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Dave
Trading: (0)
CheapHumidors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
More advice on the Tupperdor ..... don't rush!

Seriously though, when I got my first humi I rushed things a bit. I saw that nice, pretty humi sitting there on my desk and that, um, "homely" (let's be nice about it) tupperdor sitting beside it. I wanted all my sticks in the wood humi "NOW!". Be patient, let the humi season, then add cigars. Just my

Enjoy that humi, looks like a good deal especially with the ashtray and two-tube case thrown in.
+1

Congrats on the new humi btw!
CheapHumidors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #28
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

My new custom made humidor is still sitting 'seasoning'. I had no idea I could be this patient. Its been 2 weeks.

1 week of distilled water, and now 1 week of beads sitting all alone in there. I am currently waiting on a boveda calibration pack from the above-posted Mr Cheap to check my hygrometers, they are all giving me different readings. Time to know once and for all!

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #29
mukky
NOOB

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
Partagas
mukky is on a distinguished road

so who wants to take bets on how long before we see a new thread titled, "just picked up a cooler"
mukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #30
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukky View Post
so who wants to take bets on how long before we see a new thread titled, "just picked up a cooler"
New pool, 1 month
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #31
mukky
NOOB

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
Partagas
mukky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
New pool, 1 month
wow. I was gonna give him a bit of time to try a few and find some he wants a box of. I give him 3 months, but who knows...he may be a quick learner
mukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #32
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukky View Post
wow. I was gonna give him a bit of time to try a few and find some he wants a box of. I give him 3 months, but who knows...he may be a quick learner
I worked my way up to a Vino in 5 months, LOL. and ordered the drawers 6 weeks ago. So it was really less than 4 months.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #33
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

Partagas

Quote:
I worked my way up to a Vino in 5 months, LOL. and ordered the drawers 6 weeks ago. So it was really less than 4 months.
I'll split the difference...2 Months.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #34
postjack

I ordered an edgestar as my first humi because y'all told me too. it was the correct decision.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #35
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation
Exclamation Re: Just ordered a humidor

Quote:
Originally Posted by postjack View Post
I ordered an Edgestar as my first humi because y'all told me too. it was the correct decision.
Smart...and Handsome...you will go far!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #36
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by postjack View Post
I ordered an edgestar as my first humi because y'all told me too. it was the correct decision.
Of course larry's over on the one month... The slippery slope looks like a cliff he just jumped off
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #37
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle View Post
Of course larry's over on the one month... The slippery slope looks like a cliff he just jumped off
There was a slope?? I just went in the same direction as the ones in front of me. GO BIG OR GO HOME.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #38
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

Partagas

Quote:
There was a slope?? I just went in the same direction as the ones in front of me. GO BIG OR GO HOME.
Love the attitude. You know what's weird? I've been smoking on and off since 93. I join the forum and buy two vinos the next month. What the hell is that all about!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #39
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Can't say anything, I'm looking at a tower of power
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #40
postjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
Love the attitude. You know what's weird? I've been smoking on and off since 93. I join the forum and buy two vinos the next month. What the hell is that all about!!!
all the damn good sense around this place, that's what it's about.