Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Phiberglass

Default Advice on Sticks

I joined the boards a few weeks ago and have been doing a ton of reading. Lots and lots of information here, which I have been reading up on as often as I can. It's tough not having the knowledge as I do in my other hobbies (Cars, photography, and many others). I've been smoking cigars for quite a few years but never on a consistent basis, just special events, etc. Over the past few months I've been smoking at least 2-3 sticks per week and trying out many different ones.

What do you guys recommend for my future purchases? I've mostly been buying assorted samplers and singles at my Local B&M to see what I enjoy. I'm looking for a mild to medium bodied cigar, but willing to try something on the heavier side. I've been a big fan of Punch and Partagas so far, so I've been buying 5 packs of those sticks but looking to expand to many different blends.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

- Austin
Old 02-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice on Sticks

Personally for me at least I have found that I like to try lots of different sticks. I have only bought maybe three or four boxes since I started. I have a few sticks that I enjoy more than some of the others but no clear cut "favorite". There are just too many different brands, sizes, etc. for me to try to settle on.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
so I've been buying 5 packs of those sticks
Just keep rolling with that - so if you do find a dogrocket, you only end up with 4 duds instead of an entire box!!

As for me, I have lava for tastebuds, so my advice is......EXPERIMENT!!!!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

While I do have a few favorites...I gotta agree with Greg on this one. Enter the CA Newbie Sampler Trade II and trade with some BOTLS and try as many different sticks as you can until you develop a flavor profile to your liking. Way too many great sticks out there to limit yourself.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Gary
waiting for my next smoke

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
Gary is on a distinguished road

I was going to suggest a Punch but as I read further, you've already tried one. One of my favorites so far is a Punch Rothschild Maduro. It's a full strength stick, but to me it smokes like a mild cigar, the finish is very short and clean. Hard to go wrong with this one. Very nice in my opinion.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Well, there is always the DEVIL SITE A great place to save money, bid on all types of samplers and boxes. It can be detrimental to your credit card though

Eric at The Party Source has great prices and "maybe" better if you call him.

Never tried Joes Cigar deals but many here have commented on the delas. Not sure where to find it though.

I find Tampa Sweethearts to have good prices and a variety of differnt sticks. The Casa Cuba Habinito is a decent cigarillo that is a quick smoke and can be tossed if need be if you need to move on. Good for when I need a gas break on the motorcycle.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Phiberglass

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be sure to keep on buying singles and check out that Punch Rothschild, I've heard good things about that stick.

Volt: I had a buying spree on CBid, but I've been holding off since I don't want to get too carried away on there. They have some great deals there and have gotten most of my 5 packs from that site. I'll check out the others as well, thanks!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

IMO, you really can't go wrong with anything from Don Pepin Garcia.

You can find a list of cigars he's done here:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...8&postcount=75

A lot of them are medium to full flavored.

I would also recommend the La Traviata by CAO and Brickhouse by JC Newman as cheaper, medium bodied cigars.

Oliva makes a good mild cigar with the Reserve Connecticut line and if you are willing to spend a bit more the Diamond Crown #5 is also a hell of a stick!

Again tastes may vary so what I may find excellent you may find revolting.

If you're looking to try some more samplers, take a look here:

http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/s...081&Ne=1000038

You can filter by things like price, strength, brands, ratings, etc.

Hope this helps!
issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
ChicagoWhiteSox

Like most have said, try as many cigars as you can. It sounds like a daunting task, but you will find tastes/flavors/profiles that you like fairly fast.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

First Name: Randy
Trading: (9)
JL
jerseystepup is on a distinguished road

im with the majority... just buy anything and everything you can get your hands on
jerseystepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

I know I'm in the minority, but variety has become less and less important to me over the years. Find something you like and stick with it.

The other thing I've come to realize is that although there are lots overpriced smokes available, there's no such thing as an underpriced cigar. If you only smoke 2 or 3 a week, it's worth it to pay the extra couple bucks for premiums.

JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The other thing I've come to realize is that although there are lots overpriced smokes available, there's no such thing as an underpriced cigar. If you only smoke 2 or 3 a week, it's worth it to pay the extra couple bucks for premiums.

I agree with you 100%, Jeff.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #13
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Padron. Lots of Padron!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #14
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Buy em all! To hell with your credit cards!
maninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
okieRob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: I'm not telling
Trading: (6)
okieRob is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Advice on Sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
Buy em all! To hell with your credit cards!
at least until the wife finds out
okieRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieRob View Post
at least until the wife finds out

Thats why I do the finances.A lot easier that way.
maninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #17
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road

I'm a big fan of Famous samplers as well. They have a series of samplers they refer to as "flights" that covers a full grid of strengths and price points (usually with several in each category.)

I worked my way through an awful lot of their stuff that way until preferences started to emerge.

They call it their "Flight Club."
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #18
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

You are on the right track try them all but one little tip is keep a diary of what you like and what you don't like. After a while they all start running together in your mind as often you like 1 or 2 of a producer but not all of the line.

Now that said you will quickly fry the budget shopping at the B&M for several stix a week, that is fine when it is several a month but adds up quick for a weekly buy.

The devil is good as is the devils brother Joe: (Especially on Jam Days which are usually Wednesday and/or Friday)

http://www.joecigar.com/index.asp

The Devils Cousin Cigar.com also has some good sampler specials and 5 pak specials (have to buy 2 5-paks for free shipping).

http://www.cigar.com/DailyDeal/ccCigarDeals.asp

Famous and its Devil Cigar Monster have not been offering a lot of good values on samplers recently.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #19
The Postman

I have been smoking for about 3 years now and have yet to buy a box. I really like the variety of smokes that you can smoke, and like to buy 5's and 10's of cigars that I like because that way you get to repeat the cigars that you find you like.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #20
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Just keep trying different sticks and don't buy a lot of anything until you find some you really like. What you like will change over time, so fivers are a good way to go. I picked up my best cigars by reading the reviews here on CA, don't buy into anybody's advertising hype.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote