Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 08-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough
Default Tell Me About Commercially Available Meat Rubs

I will be heading to Shack in a couple of weeks and would like to pick up a couple of different rubs that I could get at Kroger or some such place. Preferably nothing spicy as my wife won't enjoy it. Recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tell Me About Commercially Available Meat Rubs

Oh, if there is such a hint as a fish run I'd be interested too!
Old 08-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Weber (the bbq & grill company) has an entire line of rubs and seasonings that are surprisingly good. There is also the Pappy's line, but I don't know how far east they are distributed. Stubbs isn't bad either, although I don't think they have a product for fish.

If you go with Pappy's, it's good, but salty, so I would recommend picking up an equal sized container of granulated garlic (the sandy stuff, not the fine powdered) and mixing it 1:1 with the Pappy's. You can also add additional paprika or a bit of sugar.

You could even take Emeril's Essence seasoning and mix it in a similar fashion and use it for a rub - or just use it straight up, but sparingly.

All that being said, I still recommend making your own. It's really simple - all you are doing is mixing a bunch of dried spices together. Mostly paprika, black pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion (again the sandy stuff, not the fine powder) and salt. Sugar, celery seed, cumin, thyme, cayenne, citric acid, white pepper, cinnamon, ground bay leaf & oregano, etc. can all be added in smaller amounts to your desired tastes.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Thanks! I think I will eventually mix my own. I will look for some of those when I am states side. Think I will also check out Butt Rub.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

If you want to try and mix your own, try food networks. Then search for Emeril's Kansas City ribs. There's a rub recipe there that I use as my main rub. And I make it by the pound! I use less salt, a little more brown sugar and add cumin to my recipe. Very spicy from a flavor standpoint, but only from a heat standpoint if you add extra peppers. Commercially, I just can't find stuff here I like that is in any greater quantity than what I'd use on a single rack of ribs or a large pork shoulder. I store mine in a quart size snap-top sealed container, and have an old Emirl's Essense shaker bottle I've modified for applying it to the meat.

For fish? I find it hard to beat simple lemon-pepper mix, unless it's Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoming. That comes in a regular or a salt-free version. To me, best is the salt-free, with a little salt added back to taste.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHNewfie View Post
Thanks! I think I will eventually mix my own. I will look for some of those when I am states side. Think I will also check out Butt Rub.
Steven Raichlen (of BBQU fame) has some good recipes out there for rubs. I think they are a bit on the salty side, but that's easy to fix, just use half or quarter the amount, mix, taste, add more to your liking.

Word of advice when you mix your own, get a large jar with a good lid to mix in. Use a jar that's about double the size of the volume of rub you are mixing up, that way you just dump everything in, seal it with the lid and shake it a few times - all the extra room in there and it will all mix almost instantly.

I learned that the hard way after accidentally macing myself and my entire kitchen with a bowl of powdered habanero based rub. Also, somewhere on this site there is a hilarious photo of Brad (OLS) covered in rub when the ziplock bag he was using to mix up a rub burst.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Go here and enter "rub" as the search parameter. No better commercial rubs than Penzys.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...cedsearch.html
Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

One of my favorites is Plowboy's Yardbird rub. I haven't seen it in stores, but apparently some Ace Hardware stores carry it. It's become my go-to for any kind of chicken and pork recipes. It's a little sweet, a little spicy (kind of a black pepper spice flavor) and not too salty. My girlfriend doesn't like spicy stuff, but she loves this rub on chicken and pork too.

I had been buying the shakers of it online, but go through so much when making a batch of ribs or pulled pork I've been buying it in 5 lb bags.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I think it goes without saying that I will bring you a bag of mine at the Shack Herf now that I know you are looking.
Mine changes SO MUCH though, it's not really a recipe as much as it is I throw a bunch of stuff in the bowl.
But I think this batch recently is the strongest effort yet, so I am kinda bummed I didn't write it down, haha.

As for the commercial rubs, I also read more good things about Plowboys than any other rub on the market.
So I would have to say that's a strong choice. If I didn't make my own, I'd likely use that.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Also, somewhere on this site there is a hilarious photo of Brad (OLS) covered in rub when
the ziplock bag he was using to mix up a rub burst.
I also did not leave enough air in the bag to let the mix mix. The seal was not well closed, lol....
lemme look through my attachments...that photo is on page 117 of "What's in Your Smoker"
or search that thread for the word ZIPLOCK , lol. Andd that is three batches ago, so you will
not be given any floor-sweepins rub.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Thanks Brad! I look forward to talking about it and trying it!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Go here and enter "rub" as the search parameter. No better commercial rubs than Penzys.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...cedsearch.html
Old 08-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Schwartz's Montreal Seasoning is real good on beef. They also make a chicken variety.

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com
Old 08-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

commercially I like Plowboys Yardbird on pork and chicken and their Bovine Bold is excellent on "cow"...also really like Dizzy Pig...lots of "different" varieties like Red Eye Express, a "coffee" variant that is also excellent on beef...
Old 08-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
All that being said, I still recommend making your own. It's really simple - all you are doing is mixing a bunch of dried spices together.
I make it fresh each time, as you said... it is really simple. I shoot for about 40% salt, 60% herbs and spice.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #16
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Kansas City Style Rib Rub:

• 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
  • 6 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon garlic salt
  • 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl, and stir to combine. Be sure to crumble any lumps that may form with the sugar or spices. Use for meats and seafood to be grilled, as well as for making the barbecue sauce. Any unused rub may be stored in an airtight container and kept in a cool, dry place for up to 6 weeks.

Yield: about 2 cups

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

Yield: 2/3 cup

I make this at double amounts, put it away in air-tight plastic containers (snap-top lids). I add more brown sugar and I add 1 teaspoon of cumin per single recipe. It makes a tasty rub that isn't too hot for people that can't take heat. Adding more cayenne pepper will pump it up some, if desired.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #17
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Props to SVilleKid. Excellent sounding rubs.

Courtesy of my cooking hero, Alton Brown, I took this recipe from one of his shows and adapted it. It is a wonderful balance of tangy, sweet heat.

8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves or allspice

Rubbed both sides of a rack of ribs, cooked it in the oven for 3.5 hours at 300 degrees.

Last edited by Catfish; 08-10-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Props to SVilleKid. Excellent sounding rubs.

Courtesy of my cooking hero, Alton Brown, I took this recipe from one of his shows and adapted it. It is a wonderful balance of tangy, sweet heat.

8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves or allspice

Rubbed both sides of a rack of ribs, cooked it in the oven for 3.5 hours at 300 degrees.

Thanks, David. Wish it was mine. Emeril's recipe off food network. Very close to the one you are using, for sure. Both are easily adaptable and easy to make! Yours seems simpler and probably much faster to make! The Old Bay is very interesting! Will have to try it in my next batch!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Paprika
2-1/2 TBS Course Black Pepper
1-1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1-1/2 TBS Garlic Powder
1-1/2 TBS Onion Powder
1 tsp Cayenne (Red Pepper) optional!
2 TBS Kosher Salt

another I like:

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 teaspoon oregano leaves*
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper*
1 teaspoon ground cumin*
1 teaspoon black pepper
*optional depends on your tastes
Old 08-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #20
Buckeye Jack
Havana Daydreamin'

First Name: Jack
Trading: (34)
HUpmann
Buckeye Jack has a spectacular aura aboutBuckeye Jack has a spectacular aura about

Jeff, this shop:

http://cheesehaven.com/

is not far from shack, maybe 10 minutes? They have a large selection of hot sauces, rubs, spices and other things. It is a very neat shop! We vacation down the road from it every fathers day and is a staple to every trip. They also have a very large selection of island wines from the area.

The website does not to this store justice at all!
Buckeye Jack is offline   Reply With Quote