Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-25-2010, 05:13 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Tatuaje Dracula

After the success of the Tatuaje Frankenstein aka Tat Frank, Pete Johnson's tribute to a classic horror movie, Tatuaje Cigars decided to release 1300 boxes, each containing 13 cigars under the name Dracula a year later, again around halloween. These cigars are in high demand and hard to get but a friend send me one of these and a Tatuaje Boris, the other halloween release and later I was able to buy one of each too.

The Tat Drac is a 6¾ x 52 torpedo with only a small black & red band on the foot of the cigar. I notice that the band is upside down, which is a nice detail. This Nicaraguan puro has a tough Habano maduro wrapper. The construction feels good and that translates in a great predraw, which releases raisins and pepper. The cigar has hardly any aroma to it.

The first flavor I taste is a very pleasant coffee flavor, not as bold and strong as expected though. I notice that the smoke feels pretty cool in my mouth. Beneath the coffee there is a hint of chocolate and after half an inch I also taste some pepper. The coffee grows in strength and so does the background flavor which is chocolate. After an inch and a half the chocolate grows stronger. The feeling in my mouth is quite dry. The flavors are balanced, subtle and complex.

Halfway the coffee disappears and the chocolate becomes the main flavor with some wood on the background and I also taste some nuts. The nut flavor changes into toast real quickly. The last few puffs bring the nut flavor back though.

This Tatuaje releases a lot of thick white smoke and has a firm light colored ash. The draw is fine and so is the burn, although I had a minor burn issue because at a certain moment the wrapper tore a bit, but once I got passed that point of the cigar the burn corrected itself and was flawless again. This cigar is full flavored yet medium bodied, I expected a full bodied cigar due to the reputation that Tatuaje has, but it wasn't that powerful.

Would I buy this cigar again? I wish! This cigar totally lived up to the hype.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 9 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
Old 04-25-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tatuaje Dracula

Thanks for the review brother. I have yet to try on of mine.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
cigarlvr
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (11)
cigarlvr is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review they have gotten better with time
cigarlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
TheGentleman
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
TheGentleman is on a distinguished road

Great review. The burn on your stick looks razor sharp. I haven't had such luck with mine. It's probably time to revisit this cigar.
TheGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

I just smoked my last one on Friday. Started out sweet, then got bitter, then went to floral (couldn't believe that), then kinda blah and burnt tasting. I have only smoked 5-6 but they were all inconsistant. I had one of the bunch that was a steller smoke...wish they were all like that particular one...time will tell.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

First Name: Benjamin
Trading: (1)
Mr.Erskine is on a distinguished road

I have one that I have been saving. It may be about to to fire it up.. Thanks for the review
Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review Ferdie.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Trading: (17)
Bolivar
jitzy is on a distinguished road

awesome review, I really liked this cigar and was getting the same coffee and chocolate hints you did.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

was it a torp or parejo version?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

it was a torparejo Pete
Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Lol! Thanks for the Review, Ferd. I have two in my humi and I'm waiting another couple weeks or so to smoke one.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
alwayslit
Welcome to the madness

First Name: Jim
Trading: (14)
RA
alwayslit is on a distinguished road

Nice review, I give them 6 months to a year more before I'll fire up the next one.....imho.
alwayslit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslit View Post
Nice review, I give them 6 months to a year more before I'll fire up the next one.....imho.
Same here. Loved the Drac right out of the box, but wanna see what some age does! I thought it was definitely different from a typical Tat, but fantastic in a very unique way.

aj
Old 04-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Ferdie. Gonna sit on the few that I have for awhile.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #15
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Great review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Thanks for the review brother. I have yet to try on of mine.
I have two of these, but I haven't been able to convince myself to smoke them because I know they're a pain to get a hold of.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
Patrick B
Feeling at Home

Trading: (6)
Patrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura about

I didn't much care for the first few i had. Sitting on a few more and going to try to be patient with them. The Boris however is fantastic right now, as was the Frank I smoked 2 weeks ago!
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the review, im surprised no bashing yet lol
Old 04-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #18
Sin
Huskin Corn & smkin cgars

First Name: Pete
Trading: (0)
Sin is on a distinguished road

Awesome review + pics! I love this cigar
Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:20 AM   #19
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Great review Ferdie. I may have to try the one I have soon.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:21 AM   #20
tx_tuff

The first one I smoked the same day I got the box and it wasn't great, plus pre draw was paint! Tried another on New Years Eve and the draw was very very lose and it would not stay light, and I smoke fast. So looks like its time to try a third one. All the new reviews are going great so maybe I will smoke one this weekend.

Thanks for the review, and I never thought of it but if you hold it like a wooden steak the band isn't upside down LOL