Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #41
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation
Default Re: Infested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#2 View Post
I have seen a bug in a newer box of habanos - so I am not so sure about their freezing process.
They do it to industry standards as Altadis does with all their handmade cigars. However, nothing full-proof.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #42
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

I messaged Pete Johnson on FB asking if they freeze their stock. Pete said they fumigate all their stock and once again after they are rolled. It's still way up in the air with Padron and others freezing their stock and some fumigating. Not sure what the process is for fumigating or the chemicals used if any but I'll stick to the most natural way of dealing with beetles IMO freezing. One thing I would like to know is the experts views on the two (DPG, AF, Padron, ect)
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #43
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
I messaged Pete Johnson on FB asking if they freeze their stock. Pete said they fumigate all their stock and once again after they are rolled. It's still way up in the air with Padron and others freezing their stock and some fumigating. Not sure what the process is for fumigating or the chemicals used if any but I'll stick to the most natural way of dealing with beetles IMO freezing. One thing I would like to know is the experts views on the two (DPG, AF, Padron, ect)
There is a video posted somewhere on here of a short tour of the Padron headquarters in Miami and he shows the freezer, with cigars in it, and says every cigar that comes in is frozen.

About 99% of the nc's I smoke are made by Pepin. I am not a big fan of AF.

I did say that most, not all, do freeze. But they all fumigate.

Don't worry about too much. Odds are, you will never see another beetle again.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #44
Average Joe
Livin' the dream!

First Name: Name
Trading: (10)
Average Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
people hate on "infused" or "flavored" acids but loves "fumigated" tatuajes.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #45
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Your Acids are fumigated too, so they are infused AND fumigated.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #46
strife

Quote:
Fumigated with what? DDT?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #47
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife View Post
Raid I think.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #48
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife View Post
Nothing wrong with using DDT if they are, it is effective. Lot of myths and fallicies about DDT. But DDT isn't a fumigant.

Personally I would hope they are using Methyl Bromide, but I doubt it.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #49
Average Joe
Livin' the dream!

First Name: Name
Trading: (10)
Average Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Your Acids are fumigated too, so they are infused AND fumigated.
the fumigation gives them the floral notes and the infusion gives them the sweetness.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #50
alexa071
Living the High Life

First Name: Randy
Trading: (0)
RyJ
alexa071 is on a distinguished road

I forgot to mention... since I've never had a problem freezing my cigars maybe it's that I have just the PERFECT temperature in my deep freeze. If you want you can send me your entire stash and I'll freeze them for you... If on the OFF CHANCE they get ruined I'll just dispose of them for you!

Randy
alexa071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #51
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

I pulled my cigars out of the freezer today. They were at 7f for 72hrs. I now have them in my old coolidors slowly getting back to room temp. My Newair 28 will be here Thursday and I'll stock her up!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #52
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #53
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Fumigate - YUKE!

From Cubancigarwebsite:

Before packing, the cigars are fumigated with Phosphine (Phosphorus Hydride) to control the tobacco beetle Serricorne, and then conditioned in bundles in cedar lined cabinets, to reduce and stabilise their moisture.

From Wiki:

Phosphine (IUPAC name: phosphane) is the compound with the chemical formula PH3. It is a colorless, flammable, toxic gas. Pure phosphine is odorless, but technical grade samples have a highly unpleasant odor like garlic or rotting fish. For farm use, pellets of aluminium phosphide, calcium phosphide, or zinc phosphide release phosphine upon contact with atmospheric water or rodents' stomach acid. These pellets also contain agents to reduce the potential for ignition or explosion of the released phosphine. Because the previously popular fumigant methyl bromide has been phased out in most countries under the Montreal Protocol, phosphine is the only widely used, cost effective, rapidly acting fumigant that does not leave residues on the stored product.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #54
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Fumigate - YUKE!

]

Then I won't tell you how many things you use and consume on a daily basis are fumigated with Phosphine gas.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #55
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

Newair showed up yesterday and I now have it plugged in with beads in it. It's holding steady at 65% 65f, I'm going to give to a few days and fill it up. No shelves no ETC and see how it goes.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #56
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Fumigate - YUKE!

From Cubancigarwebsite:

Before packing, the cigars are fumigated with Phosphine (Phosphorus Hydride) to control the tobacco beetle Serricorne, and then conditioned in bundles in cedar lined cabinets, to reduce and stabilise their moisture.

From Wiki:

Phosphine (IUPAC name: phosphane) is the compound with the chemical formula PH3. It is a colorless, flammable, toxic gas. Pure phosphine is odorless, but technical grade samples have a highly unpleasant odor like garlic or rotting fish. For farm use, pellets of aluminium phosphide, calcium phosphide, or zinc phosphide release phosphine upon contact with atmospheric water or rodents' stomach acid. These pellets also contain agents to reduce the potential for ignition or explosion of the released phosphine. Because the previously popular fumigant methyl bromide has been phased out in most countries under the Montreal Protocol, phosphine is the only widely used, cost effective, rapidly acting fumigant that does not leave residues on the stored product.

That's very interesting. For the nerds/geek out there that want to learn more I found a great write up: http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/docum.../Shwz20d00.pdf

It seems that Phosphine does not affect flavor, but can affect aroma. According to the pdf, it also has not proven to be harmful. However, Methyl Bromide has been found to affect flavor and it is not used.