Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Liga Privada #9 Flying Pig

I have to give a lot of credit to Steve Saka, president of Drew Estate. Before he created and released the Liga Privada #9 I would take a walk around the block to avoid touching anything with the Drew Estate name to it, but after smoking a Liga Privada #9 I wanted more of those. And then there came the Flying Pig, a fat funny looking stick that made its way to the top 5 of my "want to try" list. I tried it, and loved it.

The flying pig is made from the same blend as the normal Liga Privada #9, so it has a Connecticut broadleaf wrapper, a Brazilian binder and Honduran & Dominican filler. The wrapper is nice and dark and is almost veinless, it looks like a small bomb. The cap has a pig tail, but that was expected with a name like this. The cigar has a full barnyard aroma. The construction feels good, but the predraw is a bit easy and leaves a delayed pepper flavor on the tongue

Right from the start I can taste cacao, mild bitter and earthy flavors. After a few puffs I can also taste some herbs and spices, like seedless red peppers. After a third the flavors mellow out, the pepper and the cacao disappeared, the herbal flavors and the earth are now the only flavors noticeable.

Halfway the aftertaste becomes a mild creamy chocolate flavor but unfortunately the chocolate doesn't stick around, the creaminess does. Close to the end the cacao returns.

The draw starts off a little bit on the easy side but gets better. I get a lot of smoke from this cigar, medium thick and it has a blue shine to it. The cigar has a strange shape, and just like perfectos I can't get it to burn straight in the beginning, but after a correction the cigar burns quite well. The ash is white, compact and firm as you can see on the pictures. The cigar is full flavored and medium/full bodied. There is hardly any build up of tar. It lasted me little over an hour.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, yes, yes, I want more. I bought 2 of those in a box split and promised the other cigar to SmokeyNL, but fortunately he got a box of his own so I have one left to smoke.

Appearance: 9 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 8 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 8 / 10
Aroma (last part) 8 / 10