Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #1801
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Photography Thread

and
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-.../dp/B005IGVXO8

As long as you don't expect DSLR performance these 3 should suit you. Only one I'd personally testify for is the Canon SX230 HS.

Given your price range none of these will be the best at anything but should be well rounded p&s cameras for everyday pictures.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #1802
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Need to do some research. I'm a dummy when it comes to cameras
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #1803
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

That's y i pre-researched for you
Old 08-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #1804
TJarv
In it to win it

HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

I know. I might end up trying to save up money for one like my sister has. She bought a Rebel
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #1805
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

the DSLR?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #1806
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Check out both Canon and Nikon. If you don't mind buying used you can save some $
I bought my Nikon D90 body from usedcameras.com
Been running great for a long time now.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #1807
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

I tell down side to a DSLR is obviously size. By the time you throw in a couple lenses to your kit it can be a bit cumbersome. That's why I bought my Canon SX260 HS the other day. I'll use that when I don't feel like carrying my backpack. Just food for thought.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #1808
TJarv
In it to win it

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
I tell down side to a DSLR is obviously size. By the time you throw in a couple lenses to your kit it can be a bit cumbersome. That's why I bought my Canon SX260 HS the other day. I'll use that when I don't feel like carrying my backpack. Just food for thought.
Yeah but how much difference is their in picture quality
Old 08-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #1809
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
Yeah but how much difference is their in picture quality
If you're just talking 8x10 size there is only a minimal difference. DSLR do better in low light than a p&s. The thing I LOVE about DSLR cameras is that YOU are in control. If you're not going to take the time to learn how ISO, Aperature, and Shutter Speed interact and produce pictures than you're honestly throwing your money away IMO. A DSLR can produce great pictures on auto but they are usually just plain old pictures. When you start putting in the settings you can create art. If you're not going to put forth the effort to get somewhat creative in your exposures then you're better off with a P&S or Interchangeable Lens Compact. If you are thinking about the DSLR route I would recommend picking up the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson
Old 08-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #1810
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Decide on anything yet?
Old 08-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #1811
TJarv
In it to win it

HUpmann

I think I'm going with this one http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-.../dp/B005IGVXO8
Old 08-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #1812
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I am glad you avoided the Canon....I bought two used cams off of B&H 16 months ago.
One was the vaunted and much loved S5 IS at a mere 8MP....Or what I like to call the
last good camera made before it all got MegaPixel crazy. If you read my blog you'd know
that I fell in the river with it up to my neck, dried it out for two days and it works again.

My other camera was the SX1 IS, at that time the supposed summit of P&S long lens
cameras from Canon. And almost as soon as it was out they started disowning it.
THOUSANDS of buyers were getting a debilitating Lens Error issue with it, I had for the
most part avoided it. I do not use mine at the beach or in dusty conditions. But you
could also get the error simply from not USING the camera often enough, [SOMEHOW].
Well after dunking my S5, I thought, 'no biggie, I have my 'good camera". Not so fast.
Lens error, out of warranty, no workee, lucky only that I got it as a 100% refurb and
only paid half of what it was supposedly worth. No more Canons for me, they basically
deny this issue is the fault of the manufacturer. Make sure to check B&H Photo online
before making the buy. You might find a NICE used one, a 100% refurb or a good
price on a new one.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #1813
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Here are a few standouts from the used pages of BHphotovideo.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uper_Zoom.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
Old 08-16-2012, 06:53 AM   #1814
TJarv
In it to win it

HUpmann

Brad would you take one of these over the NIKON I'm looking at
Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #1815
OLS
Suck It

Sorry about that....just took my own advice and bought the Fujifilm
S200EXR they had used....$189, couldn't complain. THEY DO have the
highly capable and perhaps better standard feature-having SX100FS in
slightly lesser condition for 40 bucks more. It has the articulating LCD
which I have come to nearly depend on. But both are EXCELLENT bridge
cameras.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #1816
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
Brad would you take one of these over the NIKON I'm looking at
Well they DO HAVE a refurb for only 135 HERE:
and I DO REALLY LOVE that 1080p video, which I just lost with my nearly new boat anchor CANON SX1 IS....

But in this particular case, owing to the fact that I just BOUGHT one of the three cameras I linked
it's hard to say that I would, lol. FOR ME, I like to have a traditional bodied camera. Makes it seem
more intuitive to me. But as I said, they are making cameras now that look like pocket zooms that are
SUPER-capable. SO count another thing that makes me a dinosaur. NOW, would I forego new camera
for a B&H-sold refurb model to save $65 bucks...yes. But not on a CANON. Never again on a Canon.

This item I just bought, effectively snatching it out from under you, has the lens barrel zoom and
focus controls which I sorely miss in modern cameras. That was what sold me. If you also like to
get as close as possible to a 'pro" style camera AROUND your price range, You should look here
and read this
Old 08-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #1817
OLS
Suck It

Any one of the three cameras I linked to were outstanding cameras in their time.
And all are priced in your range. However the camera you have chosen is also priced in your range,
is a solid model, AND has trueHDvideo. Tough to match up with that in every way BUT body style.
Also out of all the other cameras, the Coolpix 8200 buys into that "more megapixels is better" hype
that is killing the industry right now. Give me a nice imaging 8-10 MP camera all day long, if its a CCD
imager.

In my only semi-experienced opinion, I would say that if image quality is of utmost concern to you,
skip that one you were looking at and look at one of the ones I have linked to. You can go to
photography blog and enter the camera name and search for thier review, even skippig to the "Conclusion" section
and cutting to the chase. I find it interesting that they sort of BAG the image quality of the 8200 while STILL
calling it a really good camera. Must be a lot of nice features that make them less picky about IQ.

I have a philosophy about cameras and computers...stay one or even two generations behind
on cameras and save money. The newest is rarely the best, and if it IS the best, waiting can
offer a good savings. I like to troll the used and refurbs at B&H and if they have something
cheap, go back to the reviews and see if it was once a great camera before the herd migrated
away. It's how I ended up with the Canon S5 IS, a SUPER lil camera.

Last edited by OLS; 08-16-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #1818
OLS
Suck It

Sheesh, how can you ever read through all the glut I posted...I still suggset doing it, lol, but I am beginning
to see a crack in the plan here...You seemed to indicate you want a capable camera in the STYLE of a DSLR or
even "like your sister's Rebel". If that is indeed the case, and you want to tweak knobs and hold a camera that
looks and feels capable of getting the close-to-pro images of a DSLR, then I would simply say, clear the decks,
blow off the HD video and go for this camera.

I respect the hell out of Canon, but now they scare me to death. I like all the big names like Olympus and Nikon.
But Fujifilm quietly makes a really nice camera and for the price I think it is tough to beat the style, features
and image quality of that S100 FS. Or even that P7000. I think that the one you are looking at is woefully
short in user controls and image quality. CMOS is great for video and for giant Megapixel counts, but not a good
way to get solid image performance under an array of lighting conditions.

Keep in mind the model I linked to IS A USED camera, and while 8+ is fairly high on the B&H condition scale for
used gear, it might be a bit nicked, usually simply scratches in the LCD coating. It's only a factor when it is OFF,
I personally find...purely cosmetic. I have three used B&H cameras and they are all great, except for the devil
Canon which I intend to toss into a dumpster. It's Canon's fault, not B&H.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #1819
OLS
Suck It

Jarvis, I PMed you a link....read the reviews on that camera and tell me if you think it is worth your money.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #1820
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Wow, just dropped in to see what was going on in here and it is like a huge brain dump going on... all I would suggest when buying a camera is go to you nearest quality camera story try them all out and buy from them. They typically carry used as well and will offer a great return and service policy to compete with online.
Posted via Mobile Device
LostAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote