Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
E-Tx Surveyor

Default H2S gas training

Anyone else ever had to do this? Its traning for Hydrogen Sulfide gas that may be present on certain natural gas drilling sites or on certain pipelines.

This is my second evening course. Up at 0500 and ill be back home around 2200 hours.

No fun, extremely boring and no dinner break.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough
Default Re: H2S gas training

My dad has had this training when he worked for Chevron (25+ yrs). I don't know a whole lot about it. But, isn't it the gas you really can't smell (unless they "taint" it like natural gas is) and will knock you out or possibly kill?

I had some basic training when I was delivering things into the Chevron Refinery. All it basically was for me was the special warning horn sound, walk away from the wind, pay attention to the windsocks, and where to find the nearest cluster areas for head counts. But Im sure your class will be more indepth than that.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
E-Tx Surveyor

The chances of someone in my company coming in contact with H2S gas is slim to none. Its prodominant in already finished wells I.e. Workover rigs etc.
I lay out the drillings pads and lease roads, the only time I see the location after I've done that is to verify its in the correct location, before the drilling rig is even there.

The chances of coming into contact with a lethal dose of H2S, 500 ppm to 2000 ppm, is extremely unlikely outdoors, only slightly moreso indoors.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Never had H2S training but I did do some gas mask training in Marine Boot Camp...damn did that clear out my sinuses!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
E-Tx Surveyor

He let us out early, so I'm back at the house.

Horribly boring, things I don't need to know. We didn't even get fit tested so I'm still not certified to wear a mask, only certified to recognize that gas is present.

I've had Pro mask training before and I own several military pro masks. They said military pro masks aren't as capable as the H2S respirators, which doesn't make much sense to me.

You aren't lying about clearing out some sinuses, waves those arms like a chicken when you come outta that room.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

First Name: Matt
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Prefy will become famous soon enough

I'm trained in confined entry, that entails air monitoring and a SAR(supplied air resirator). We test for H2S, CO, O2 and Methane.

In my case the training was for sewer entry, which was a pretty intense 3 day course. Similarily the way our waste water system is setup there is very little chance that any of the gases would actually be present but I guess its better to be safe then sorry.

It is a way for the safety companies to make some good coin. We had all of the sensors in our gas monitor replaced in May and two of them bit the bullet today. $600 and a couple hours of labour to change them out...crazy
Prefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

We go into refineries and have to go through a brief H2S training and monitor usage every year. Not the full classes and not fun but it is better to come home than to not.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefy View Post
It is a way for the safety companies to make some good coin. We had all of the sensors in our gas monitor replaced in May and two of them bit the bullet today. $600 and a couple hours of labour to change them out...crazy
That was what I was afraid of when the sensor on our Industrial Scientific iBrid system went out. But a quick call to CS and some guided diagnostics on the phone and they shipped out a new sensor for me to replace myself. No charge whatsoever. Even shipped a return label for the old sensor. Gotta say I was impressed.

The CS and equipment is top notch, the thing is a bit big especially if you were to hang it on your belt, about the size of an 80's cell phone, but then again not many things out there detect for Methyl Bromide.

OP, sounds like fun, Not. I think my SCBA cert is up soon. Dreading going in for the physical. They always say I have the lungs of a 70 year old.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote