Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Malazan is on a distinguished road
Default Cuban Tobacco

I'm confused about something.

Are there cigars made with tobacco grown in Cuba, yet rolled in another Country, and then legal for sale in America?

Say, if a company in Honduras bought Cuban Tobacco and made the cigars in Honduras, would they be considered illegal for import to the US?

Does this even happen? Or is it a moot point?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cuban Tobacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malazan View Post
I'm confused about something.

Are there cigars made with tobacco grown in Cuba, yet rolled in another Country, and then legal for sale in America? No

Say, if a company in Honduras bought Cuban Tobacco and made the cigars in Honduras, would they be considered illegal for import to the US? Yes
See above
Old 03-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

Army (Served With Honor)

So when people talk about smoking CC vs NC, they are actually cigars straight off the boat from Cuba? Not Cuban Tobacco cigars form somewhere else
Old 03-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
So when people talk about smoking CC vs NC, they are actually cigars straight off the boat from Cuba?
In a manner of speaking, yes. There are vendors of Cuban cigars all over the world.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hem View Post
And the point of this is what?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough

Just a joke Pete, just a joke
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Well what started out at a somewhat serious thread about cigars has now been shat upon by useless banter.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Or stupid pictures.
Exactly my point.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
So when people talk about smoking CC vs NC, they are actually cigars straight off the boat from Cuba? Not Cuban Tobacco cigars form somewhere else
All cigars rolled in Cuba are 100% cuban tobacco. Puros. Period. +1 to what Peter said as well.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #10
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

Army (Served With Honor)

My Service Manager where I work has some Cuban Montecristos and Cohibas. One of the salesmen got them in the Caribbean and brought them home. The boxes say Made in Cuba. I forget that only the US has the embargo and no other country gives a crap about where the cigars come from.

So Cuban seed cigars are grown somewhere else, just using seeds taken from Cuba back in the day?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #11
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
My Service Manager where I work has some Cuban Montecristos and Cohibas. One of the salesmen got them in the Caribbean and brought them home. The boxes say Made in Cuba. I forget that only the US has the embargo and no other country gives a crap about where the cigars come from.

So Cuban seed cigars are grown somewhere else, just using seeds taken from Cuba back in the day?
Don't forget though that the Caribbean has many fakes..
Old 03-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Don't forget though that the Caribbean has many fakes..
This! Especially the Bahamas and Jamaica
Old 03-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Never seen a legitimate box of Montes or Cohiba cigars that says "Made in Cuba".

"Hecho En Cuba" sure.

But even the counterfeits have that marked on them. The Caribbean is ripe with counterfeit cigar, so depending on where they came from they might or might not be legit.

Quote:
Or even recently. Doesn't matter. 1st generation tobacco leaves, grown from Cuban seed, in another country, are not considered Cuban in origin and therefore are only bound by whatever trade agreements exist with that country.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #14
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Never seen a legitimate box of Montes or Cohiba cigars that says "Made in Cuba".

"Hecho En Cuba" sure.

But even the counterfeits have that marked on them. The Caribbean is ripe with counterfeit cigar, so depending on where they came from they might or might not be legit.

Or even recently. Doesn't matter. 1st generation tobacco leaves, grown from Cuban seed, in another country, are not considered Cuban in origin and therefore are only bound by whatever trade agreements exist with that country.
They do say Hecho en Cuba, I wrote Made in Cuba cause I'm a silly American
Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
All cigars rolled in Cuba are 100% cuban tobacco. Puros. Period. +1 to what Peter said as well.
Yeah, right. Thats what they want you to believe
Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
Reaver2145

Quote:

Do these Cohibas have a orange-yellow band with a non embossed chobia logo and two rows of white dots above the cohiba because they are totally legit.

Cuban seed as far as i know is exactly that cuban tobacco seeds.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #17
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

I have heard some people say with authority that it does go the other way though. That Cuba imports tobacco from other countries and then rolls it into their cigars... one gut even said it was their #1 import..... not sure if that is legit info, anyone know?
Posted via Mobile Device
LostAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #18
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

If Cuba was importing tobacco I don't think that they would be able to keep it secret...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Cuba is rife with tobacco. For them to import tobacco doesn't make a lot of sense, but it could happen. Tobacco crops are just like any other crops. They can have extremely bad years, or numbers of extremely bad years in a row.
Even at that, I can't see them importing anything but maybe a small amount to keep a particular blend correct. That's a very far-fetched idea, as tobaccos from other parts of the world just don't taste the same. That said, their blenders are the best in the world, true artists at what they do. If anyone could make use of another country's tobacco, it'd be them.
I could definately see them importing wrapper, being it's so tough to grow. They could easily fall short.
Despite all that, I still can't really imagine them importing any tobacco whatsoever.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #20
Reaver2145

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Cuba is rife with tobacco. For them to import tobacco doesn't make a lot of sense, but it could happen. Tobacco crops are just like any other crops. They can have extremely bad years, or numbers of extremely bad years in a row.
Even at that, I can't see them importing anything but maybe a small amount to keep a particular blend correct. That's a very far-fetched idea, as tobaccos from other parts of the world just don't taste the same. That said, their blenders are the best in the world, true artists at what they do. If anyone could make use of another country's tobacco, it'd be them.
I could definately see them importing wrapper, being it's so tough to grow. They could easily fall short.
Despite all that, I still can't really imagine them importing any tobacco whatsoever.
Some of there blenders are good some are just crap COUGH party E5/trinny short robusto COUGH but what you say about cuban and non cuban tobacco tasting completely different is correct and im sure we would of noticed the change in flavour if it was true.