Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Been doing some roaming on these threads on some research, my buddy and I want to start smoking pipes (we both are cigar smokers) can I store pipe tobacco in an old empty with a boveda pack? I'm assuming the aromatics will affect my cigars like infused cigars would! Also what if I don't open tin can it go in my coolidor?

I think I'm gonna try and sample some stuff I've read on the what's in your bowl thread, I was gonna try first and foremost Christmas cheer, and so to bed, night cap, royal yacht, exhausted rooster and sextant. I'm assuming I will like strong sweet tasty tobacco any other stuff I should try? Price isn't a huge point to factor because I will not leave being a cigar smoker, it's cold out and my girlfriend will let me smoke a pipe on the house and sounds like a fun hobby!! Thanks CA!
First of all, pipe smoking and cigar smoking are two completely different beasts. You will not, by any means, get the volume of smoke from a pipe that you will from a cigar. And if you try, you will fry your tongue and be sorry for days.

As to your questions, an unopened tin need not be stored where there is humidity as it is a vacuum sealed environment, neither letting humidity in or out. I have Christmas Cheer from 1999 which is unopened. Sealed tins will last as long as the seal remains intact.

Other tobaccos that are open, mason jars or other canning jars are great for keeping tobacco in and keeping it fresh. A glass jar with a bail top lid is also helpful.

as for the tobaccos you listed, be careful. Your first one, Christmas Cheer is naturally sweet tobacco, but it is a single crop Virginia and Virginias are naturally sweet. But I must tell you that isn't what you might imagine. Virginias are a great thing to enjoy, but not everybody enjoys the aroma of them as it is a natural tobacco without some sort of topnote on it. Royal Yacht is an aromatic and is usually enjoyed highly for the room note which it is smoked.

Furthermore, strong in pipe tobacco terms is something other than what it is in cigars. Do not expect the same affect.

If I could make a suggestion, I'd find a tobacconist near you (or an old pipe smoker) who can teach you how to pack, light, tamp, and keep your pipe lit live and in person - these simple things can make pipe smoking a pleasurable thing, while doing them improperly can make pipe smoking a royal pain in the asterisk, even if you have a great tobacco.

So, when you say strong and sweet, I'd say your best option is to get a bunch of samples to try so that you can find what you like and what kinds of tobaccos you enjoy. If I might, I would summarize the major types of tobaccos in this way.

Here is the link to a post where I list what I consider the main tobacco types.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...&postcount=789

Hope this helps.

Peace o the Lord be with you.