Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice
Default Burlwood Palio

I'm looking into getting a Palio cutter for myself and was wondering if anyone has any problems with the finish of the burlwood Palio. I know its a faux finish, but will it wear off, chip, or scratch? I know they fully warranty their products, but I don't want to have to replace it for cosmetic reasons. If I pay the extra money for the burlwood finish I want it to be worth the extra cost over a cheaper model.

Thanks in advance for any input
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burlwood Palio

Have had mine for almost two years and no issues at all. It is one of the older, "thinner" versions. I have seen and used the newer, "thicker" Burlwood and maybe it is just me, but the new Palios don't cut anything like the older versions. Made me try out a Xikar X8 ($ 24.99) and I have been using it nonstop for almost 6 months. Plus it cuts a 64 ring gauge stick.

If you can find you the older Burlwood...grab it. I just wouldn't waste your coin on the newer ones. And to boot...the newer version looks more like "paneling" that it does burlwood.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

I've had mine for a few years now and have had no issues with the finish, the one I had previous had a track issue but I turned it in for the one I have now. The warranty is great you just hand it in and they give you a new one.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Have had mine for almost two years and no issues at all. It is one of the older, "thinner" versions. I have seen and used the newer, "thicker" Burlwood and maybe it is just me, but the new Palios don't cut anything like the older versions. Made me try out a Xikar X8 ($ 24.99) and I have been using it nonstop for almost 6 months. Plus it cuts a 64 ring gauge stick.

If you can find you the older Burlwood...grab it. I just wouldn't waste your coin on the newer ones. And to boot...the newer version looks more like "paneling" that it does burlwood.
I respectfully disagree Mac. I have one of the new ones, and one of the old. The old is still hella sharp, but the new one is like a razor.

I just found my old Xikar (its been buried for 2.5 years since I purchased my Palio) and used it a couple times just to test it. Not only do the blades stick, but the cut is $hitty. Xikar cuts in a way that it always leaves a "lip" on the cut, or cuts it kinda bi-level.

Brian, take the plunge on the Palio. Ive never seen a finish chip or flake on any models Ive seen, but they have a lifetime guarantee.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I have one of the first burls made of the new design. It's been a workhorse and maybe cuts 10-15 cigars a week since SoCal 2009. No issues with cut quality or finish.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

It must be me then Moe. And the fact that I have used Tbone's Palio...and he has broken five of them.

And while I agree with you on the Xikar leaving a "lip"...with the X1s/X3s. I have given two of these away because I was just not happy with the way they were cutting my sticks. The X8 is a completely different cutter than the X1s/X3s, more along the design of a Palio and these cut with precision. I have been pleasantly surprised by the X8, both the quality of cutter and the price.

Both Palio/Xikar carry a lifetime warranty so you can't go wrong with either. Just like with sticks...it all comes down to a personal preference.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

I have a "burlwood" Palio that was gifted to me several years ago. The "burl" seems to be imbedded in the material they made the handles from. Never flaked, chipped, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
I just found my old Xikar (its been buried for 2.5 years since I purchased my Palio) and used it a couple times just to test it. Not only do the blades stick, but the cut is $hitty.
I read guys that say this, and it always interests me. I have the aforementioned Palio, but I also have a Xikar Xi3 Titanium Spectra. Mine is sharp as a razor....but I clean my cutters every month or so. Oils will build up on the blades and make the cutters appear to be dull. Alcohol wipes are the perfect tool to keep all your cutters working perfectly.

Which do I like better? They are both fine tools....with very different personalities. Got to admit I like the "heft" of the Xikar but the cut of the Palio is flawless. I have them both, and reach for them about 50 / 50.

My ....N.F.H.
BlindedByScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

I've also noticed the "lip" with my Xikar Xi2, and I really like the design of the Palio. I'll see if any of the local shops have any of the thinner versions laying around next time I stop in.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Xikar cuts in a way that it always leaves a "lip" on the cut, or cuts it kinda bi-level.
That's a technique flaw. If you push, slightly, through the cigar when cutting, no lip. The same thing will happen with Palios if you don't use proper technique.

With that said, I havn't used, or wanted to use my Xikar since I got the Palio.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
DennisP
Come Get It

Trading: (17)
HUpmann
DennisP will become famous soon enoughDennisP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I just found my old Xikar (its been buried for 2.5 years since I purchased my Palio) and used it a couple times just to test it. Not only do the blades stick, but the cut is $hitty. Xikar cuts in a way that it always leaves a "lip" on the cut, or cuts it kinda bi-level.
You can't compare that Xikar to the new Xi8. The cut is outstanding and they can be had for around $18 shipped. I've had people that own a Palio ask how to get one after trying mine.

The Xi8 does look cheaper than the Palio, but the cut is better and the price is way better.
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisP View Post
but the cut is better
Opinions vary.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
DennisP
Come Get It

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Opinions vary.
I guess I meant the cut/sharpness. What one wants is up to them and obviously even the cut is just opinion. I think my statement above was worded a bit strong for my actual thoughts.

But, out of curiosity, have you tried the Xi8?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
It must be me then Moe. And the fact that I have used Tbone's Palio...and he has broken five of them.
The X8 is a completely different cutter than the X1s/X3s, more along the design of a Palio and these cut with precision. I have been pleasantly surprised by the X8, both the quality of cutter and the price.
How the hell do you break one, let alone five??

I read over the Xikar model you were referring to. I have used one, and yes they cut nicely, and that carbon fiber is real purty, but I still prefer my Palio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
I've also noticed the "lip" with my Xikar Xi2, and I really like the design of the Palio. I'll see if any of the local shops have any of the thinner versions laying around next time I stop in.
No need to search out the thinner ones, the new ones give an amazing cut, and have a nice heft in hand.

Quote:
That's a technique flaw. If you push, slightly, through the cigar when cutting, no lip. The same thing will happen with Palios if you don't use proper technique.
Greg, maybe its just a flaw on the older style Xikar (Xi, Xi2, etc), like I noted above, I missed the X8 part. Still, I never got a bad cut with my Palio.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisP View Post
But, out of curiosity, have you tried the Xi8?
I would have no room to talk if I hadn't.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
DennisP
Come Get It

HUpmann

Quote:
I would have no room to talk if I hadn't.
That's why I asked, you had mentioned the Xi2 or 3 technique so wasn't sure.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Greg, maybe its just a flaw on the older style Xikar (Xi, Xi2, etc), like I noted above, I missed the X8 part. Still, I never got a bad cut with my Palio.
Me either. I think it's because it's a traditional styled cutter we have always been used to using as opposed to the Xi style.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #17
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Well I use THIS cutter and that freaking thing cuts the crap out of a cigar.
Now we return to the previously unjacked thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Montecristocutter.jpg (20.9 KB, 218 views)
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #18
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

Partagas

But seriously, thanks for the input, I'm going to try to go fondle a few cutters this weekend