Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 11-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
jerseyjay
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
jerseyjay is on a distinguished road
Default Cabinet Humidor / Which one ?

Have been reading and checking out what everyone else is using. Thoughts on the following ? Obviously thinking about the budget and trying not to spend too much $$$. Why CI's are soo much cheaper ? Is Aristo & Avallo that much better ?

Feedback would be appreciated.

Aristocrat
Avallo
Pienza
Cheap Humidors
CI
CI
jerseyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Cabinet Humidor / Which one ?

I don't know if better is the word, but Aristocrats are custom made to your specifications with a boatload of options. At least that's from what I gather. CI's are just premade and you order pretty much "as is". Save for a color choice. Aristocrats also have all the molding and options for a NON glass door. They are VERY legitimate pieces of furniture.

I would say if your budget is around 700-800 to probably just order one from CI/Cheap humidors.

Also the humidors you chose are IMO kind of different. So really it's probably whichever best suites you. Singles - Boxes Ratio, I'm pretty sure they are all very decent humidors.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I totally understand having to work within a budget, Jay.

The Aristocrats ARE that much better, but they cost a good piece more too. If you can afford it, you will never regret it. If you can't, there are other more cost-friendly options.

If I had it all to do over again, I would have kept everything in coolers until I was ready to buy what I really wanted. That would have saved me from buying numerous large humis and cabinets (including a couple of these http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_cabin...HUM-LDCAB.html ) before I got the big one.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
nick2021
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (17)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
nick2021 is on a distinguished road

+1, good advice! Would use coolers until you have enough to save up for the one you want especially if you're working with a budget. You'll be happy in the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I totally understand having to work within a budget, Jay.

The Aristocrats ARE that much better, but they cost a good piece more too. If you can afford it, you will never regret it. If you can't, there are other more cost-friendly options.

If I had it all to do over again, I would have kept everything in coolers until I was ready to buy what I really wanted. That would have saved me from buying numerous large humis and cabinets (including a couple of these http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_cabin...HUM-LDCAB.html ) before I got the big one.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Are Vinotemps and Edgestars out of the picture for this? Do you need more space? A pair of them will run only 400-500 dollars.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Brad

I agree with the cooler idea. You can pick up some massive $150 quart coolers for around $70 each, and get some beads for RH control. From my expierence, many of the lower end cabinets aren't worth the hassle. They aren't well built, the seal on the door isn't that good, and they can be a royal pain in the butt when it comes to maintaining a constant RH.

If you really want a nice cabinet, one that will last a lifetime with no issues, go the cooler route for now and save for a temp and RH controlled Aristocrat. That said, it won't be cheap. Depending on the size and options, you could be talking over $2,000.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

I just bought and Aristocrat and couldn't be happier. That being said, I know some who own Avallo humidors and are just as happy. But for my money, Aristocrat is the way to go. Bob Staebell will work closely with you to ensure you get both what you want and what you need.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
jerseyjay
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
jerseyjay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
From my expierence, many of the lower end cabinets aren't worth the hassle. They aren't well built, the seal on the door isn't that good, and they can be a royal pain in the butt when it comes to maintaining a constant RH.
Thanks All ! Great responses.

Brad - your above comment. Was this confirmed ? I have seen a lot of 600-800$ tower humidors in "Show your humidor" thread.
jerseyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjay View Post

Brad - your above comment. Was this confirmed ? I have seen a lot of 600-800$ tower humidors in "Show your humidor" thread.
Check out cigarbid and other auction sites. You'll pay a lot in shipping, but you'll score a better deal overall.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjay View Post

The part about the seals is definitely truth. Many members here modify the unit to provide a better seal.

Frankly if you aren't opposed to coolidors I completely agree with everyone else in using them. For me it's the only way to go. $140-$160 for the coolidor, beads and hygro. Talk about cheap, durable, very reliable storage. I'm sitting at a rock solid 64 RH every time I check my hygrometer.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Check out cigarbid and other auction sites. You'll pay a lot in shipping, but you'll score a better deal overall.
That all depends on what you consider a "better deal".
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I just bought and Aristocrat and couldn't be happier. That being said, I know some who own Avallo humidors and are just as happy. But for my money, Aristocrat is the way to go. Bob Staebell will work closely with you to ensure you get both what you want and what you need.
+1
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Quote:
From my expierence, many of the lower end cabinets aren't worth the hassle. They aren't well built, the seal on the door isn't that good, and they can be a royal pain in the butt when it comes to maintaining a constant RH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
The part about the seals is definitely truth. Many members here modify the unit to provide a better seal.
This is true when it comes to the seal. On my tower cabinet I just purchased the sealant rubber and put it all around the edge of the door on the interior. $4 later I have a solid rh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
That all depends on what you consider a "better deal".
I purchased my Verona from cBid and got it at an EXCELLENT price.

Overall shop around and continue what you are doing now which is your research and ask questions.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #14
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

My dad taught me early on that you get what you pay for.

That said, while expensive indeed, an Aristocrat is an heirloom furniture.
You in fact do get what you pay for.

I would save my money and buy the Aristocrat when I can.

To say I love mine is an understatement.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #15
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Aristocrat (or other brands of similar quality) really are heirloom pieces. Solid hardwood, nice fixtures, top of the line humdification and a proven track record.

If you want cheap and lot of storage, look a for a commerical glass cabinet like used in a tobacco shop. They come up all the time on CraigsList. Obviously, you know they work if you ever bought a cigar out of one of them.

The worst case is almost spending what an Aristocrat and fall short. Outside of an Aristocrat level cabinet, go used...
Old 11-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

Quote:
I agree with the cooler idea. You can pick up some massive 150 quart coolers for around $70 each, and get some beads for RH control. From my expierence, many of the lower end cabinets aren't worth the hassle. They aren't well built, the seal on the door isn't that good, and they can be a royal pain in the butt when it comes to maintaining a constant RH.

If you really want a nice cabinet, one that will last a lifetime with no issues, go the cooler route for now and save for a temp and RH controlled Aristocrat. That said, it won't be cheap. Depending on the size and options, you could be talking over $2,000.
One question would be, how many cigars are you planning to store in your ideal humidor? I assume you will want a humidor you can grow into?

As mentioned above, the cooler humidor is the way to go. Solid seal and humi beads keep perfect RH for storage of boxes and loose singles. This way, you can continue saving your money and complete your research for your ultimate wood cabinet humidor. As mentioned above, the Aristocrat is the way to go.

This is coming to you from a user of a cooler humidor and desk top humidor user...
Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #17
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Another option...

Buy the tools (used) and build your own to the specs you want. You may or may not save money (tool expenses), but if you take your time, you may really enjoy the experience and have exactly what you want.