Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
goomer

Default Vikings Fans

I know it's been a bad year and may be hard to admit it for some but: My name is Sean and I'm a Vikings fan. I've been on the wagon now for over 25 years and can't seem to fall off. Even during years like this one. I know I've seen quite a few minnesotans on here. How many are Vikes fans?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Vikings Fans

Hi, my name is Matt and I have a problem. I'm a Vikings fan.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

Who's got two thumbs and is a bit depressed about the Vikings current season? This guy. Yeah, they have a ways to go to get better next year. Need a solid draft for Offensive line. I would go O-line 1st and 2nd round and look to FA for cornerback help. And draft secondary, LB and WR with the rest of the picks.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Sean, where in AZ are you? The folks have a place in Green Valley and it's pretty likely I'll get down to visit at least once this winter.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
goomer

I would agree with your draft assessment. The biggest problem with the vikings is that they are just good enough to be almost there. They never go into a rebuilding year, or years. Instead they get older players with a year or two left in them to fill in on weak spots. Of course going into a rebuilding period now means by the time the team is rebuilt in a couple of years, AP will be on the downhill slide.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
goomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post
Sean, where in AZ are you? The folks have a place in Green Valley and it's pretty likely I'll get down to visit at least once this winter.
I'm down at Ft. Huachuca. According to Mapquest, green valley isn't that far away. Let me know when you make it down!
Old 12-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM

Alright...2-0!
Old 12-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
goomer

With the exception of the turn overs in the first quarter, it's looking pretty good! Now they have to stop Tebow from doing his end of game comeback.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM

Yep. That was what they needed to do. Ouch.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

That was some ugly defense the whole second half. Oh well, we should have a top 5 pick in the draft for sure now.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Tebow!!!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
Tebow!!!
The Vikings made him look like a legitimate NFL QB.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
Powers

Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
The Vikings made him look like a legitimate NFL QB.
He is a legitimate QB. 6-1 a fluke?
Old 12-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM

Quote:
He is a legitimate QB. 6-1 a fluke?
just a jab, he looked good. Sore loser here.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
Powers

Bolivar

Quote:
just a jab, he looked good. Sore loser here.
No worries. I was the same class as Tebow at Florida (graduated in 2010) so I've been rooting for Percy as well
Old 12-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #16
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM

Quote:
No worries. I was the same class as Tebow at Florida (graduated in 2010) so I've been rooting for Percy as well
Percy had a great game.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #17
goomer

That is the bright side. They should get some great draft picks.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #18
Wanger

Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a Vikings fan. I haven't cheered for another team for over 38 years. I also cannot fall off the wagon, as well. If I do, I'm dragged behind it until I'm pulled back up, bruised and bloody.

As for yesterday's game, they can make ANYONE look like a good QB. How about that DB play? Ponder made some rookie mistakes, and that's what cost them the game. They pretty much gave it away.

As for needs...I think they're set with Ponder. He seems to be a much better QB than I had thought he was when they drafted him. The biggest needs of this team are DB (both safety and CB) and WR. Obviously they're set at RB with the extension of AD and having Gerhart back there. Harvin is a stud, but with the health issues he's had, they need to protect him a bit. And he needs another playmaker on the outside to compliment him. Rudolph definitely has a bright future at TE. O-line needs some help, but I don't see it as much of a pressing need as players on the outside. They're fairly well covered on the D-line. Adding some depth there would be helpful, though. As for the LBs, I have no idea what to say. Greenway is a tremendous player. EJ Henderson has played solidly, and Erin Henderson has played better than expected. Could they use another playmaker there? Yeah, but it's not needed. The DBs are a MESS. Griffin may never become the player he was on his way to being before he shredded his knees. Winfield is still a stud when he's healthy (which hasn't been often enough lately), but he's definitely on the downside of his career. Cook? HAH! Have fun in jail. Asher Allen may be a servicable nickel back, but nothing more than that. Other than that, the rest of the CBs are guys who likely won't be playing anywhere next year. Safeties...Abdullah has his moments, but he is horrendous in coverage most of the time (bad angles, poor tackling, etc.). Sanford can be OK at times. As for the rest of them on the roster...??? No idea. Raymond is a rookie who was only expected to play on special teams. Can he become a decent safety in the NFL? I have no clue.

How can they fix these issues? Obviously, they'll have a high draft choice, but which way will they go? That depends on who will be available and declare for the draft. I really don't know who the stud college players are at those positions. What free agents will be available, as well? I'd prefer to draft a WR and go the FA route to get a DB or 2, but with a top 5 pick, I don't know if there will be a WR worthy of that high a pick available.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #19
MNSmoker
Well Adjusted

First Name: Chris
Trading: (13)
Cohiba
MNSmoker has disabled reputation

Hi, my name is Chris and I bleed purple. It pains me to say that I'm a life long Vikes fan. I still wear the scars of the '98 and '09 seasons. Thank God I'm too young to have suffered through the 0-4 Super Bowls!!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #20
Wanger

I was at that '98 game...PAINFUL memory. The therapy still hasn't helped. Not sure if it ever will, and they may need to up the meds.