Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2008, 12:59 AM   #21
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: What have you learned by joining this forum?

Friends will stick together, regardless of where.

If you build it, we will come.

Discovering cigars has brought me some of the most cherished friends I will ever have.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:58 AM   #22
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Well said! For me it's an extension of our past in a "safe place". For folks new to our community the hope is that the things that made our group interactions special to each of us continue for new members through all of us living up to the spirit of our upbringing and the continued joy of fellowship only a vibrant and fun forum can provide.

Bottom line .. I have learned that it is the group of special participants that makes a place unique, warm and inviting, not the URL.
well said Dave.
Don Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #23
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

I've learned that my avatar pic looks way kewl in the larger size on this forum....

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #24
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

I have learned that a cigar is nothing but a bunch of tobacco leaves.....

until strong hands roll them together so they can age....

until some retailer makes them available to those who wish to buy them...

and let them rest in their humidor until they are introduced to fire...

at which time, if everything else was done properly, they become a good smoke.

I have learned that most forums are just a place where most people tend to make a$$es out of themselves...

I have learned that the Asylum is a forum where good friends who have never physically met get together to discuss things that matter to them.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #25
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Gentlemen, the statements you made above all hold true for me also.

But mostly I have learned that people can suprise you. The generosity of these members leaves me speechless at times.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #26
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
I've learned that riches aren't defined by what's in your bank account or stock portfolio.. I've learned that friendships can span thousands of miles and be strong even when you have never met the other person formally. I've learned that giving is truly better than receiving and I have learned that there are more people in this world like me than I ever thought. I have also learned that those who are willing to sacrifice these things for others are fools.

What have you learned?
You said it better than I could, thanks brother.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #27
ahc4353

Well lets see.......

I have learned that the MODS and the MEMBERS are very tolerant people.

I have learned that I have friends that I know I can count on. Some I have yet to shake their hands but I know I can count on them.

I have learned that a sense of humor tempered with common sense is a valuable thing.

I have learned that PMing a person explaining your position has a way of making both of you understand each others position better than a post.

I have learned that you can mend fences that were once broken.

I have learned that people care, more than you think.

I have learned that a MOD here can make a point and keep a thread on track with a simple sentence because they are respected. (See: HERE)

I have learned that we as members are damn lucky to have MODs that will talk to you long before they hit the ban button.

I have learned how to correctly light a cigar. (Never knew it could make such a difference, thanks Klugs)

I have learned that Sailors bombs will land, one day.

I have learned to be thankful for what I have. Other people have it worse.

I have learned that if I forgot something and add it later I will be called a postwhore.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #28
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
two for sure
Make that 3.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #29
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
I've learned that riches aren't defined by what's in your bank account or stock portfolio.. I've learned that friendships can span thousands of miles and be strong even when you have never met the other person formally. I've learned that giving is truly better than receiving and I have learned that there are more people in this world like me than I ever thought. I have also learned that those who are willing to sacrifice these things for others are fools.

What have you learned?

I honestly can't say it any better, my friend. And hey, my newest phonepal, I owe you a ring.

This is a great place [said by the dude at the bottom of the pile]
Old 11-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #30
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

You have all said it better than I could!

I've learned how to be a giver! My wife said she noticed this after I joined our "old asylum" and it is due to the people who live here now... in the new asylum!

I was met with open arms and selfless generosity and then I realized that giving is fun! When I give something away I don't lose anything at all! Really, I gain so much - friendship, respect, appreciation, camaraderie, Herfs, new ideas, new perspective, and new insight!!!

I can't even say this is my extended family! You are my family! I don't know all the inmates but those I do know are my brothers and sisters. You have welcomed me into your houses, garages, backyards and hearts! In turn I have welcomed you!

I am humbled by who and what I have found here!

I am a better person because of you!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #31
ca21455
Working on Reality

First Name: John
Trading: (7)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ca21455 is on a distinguished road

I learned the Internet was not just a place where someone was out to steal your identity or rip you off but something that can be good and uplifting thanks to all the fine people here.
ca21455 is offline   Reply With Quote