Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #21
gorob23
Brother of the Leaf

First Name: Rob
Trading: (0)
gorob23 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need some advice or pointed in the right direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Theres a lot out there to choose from. Some deals include monitors, some dont. Heres something I found on a quick search.
HEY WTF your MY I.T. Guy

Ok he knows his stuff, I would like to throw out the idea of the Mac mini.....I seem to have issues with some of my other computers and am looking at this as my next one...

Rob

I really hate ALL Computers

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

"Snow Globe"

I miss light switch
gorob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #22
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Dan found a really nice deal. It doesn't include a monitor, but you can order a decent 19" for 125 on Newegg. Office will run you another $130.

I dug around, and ~$800 delivered is the best price I can come up with for a computer that includes Office Home and a 19" monitor. I could shave $100 off of that number, but in my opinion, in 3 years you would be looking at either major upgrades, or a whole new system again. The $100 buys you another 2-3 years of longevity.

You might ask the wife if perhaps you could purchase the computer + Office first, and wait a few months before dropping the extra money on the monitor. I understand that may leave you using an older monitor, but it spreads out the cost to make it slightly more manageable on a budget.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #23
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
Dan found a really nice deal. It doesn't include a monitor, but you can order a decent 19" for 125 on Newegg. Office will run you another $130.

I dug around, and ~$800 delivered is the best price I can come up with for a computer that includes Office Home and a 19" monitor. I could shave $100 off of that number, but in my opinion, in 3 years you would be looking at either major upgrades, or a whole new system again. The $100 buys you another 2-3 years of longevity.

You might ask the wife if perhaps you could purchase the computer + Office first, and wait a few months before dropping the extra money on the monitor. I understand that may leave you using an older monitor, but it spreads out the cost to make it slightly more manageable on a budget.
That is a way to go, but that will be a hard pill to swallow.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #24
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I bought a lenovo recently and I love it. Solid laptop thus far and has awesome specs for an unbeatable price. Dell, HP, Gateway, Toshiba, etc, couldn't hold a candle to the price. It was literally hundreds less.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #25
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I recently upgraded to a Gateway SX2855-UB22P that I bought turnkey from Best Buy. It's running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit), an Intel Core i3 processor at 3.1 Ghz, a 1 TB hard drive, 4GB of DDR3 memory, a DVD player/burner. Only kinda weak point I see so far is the Intel integrated video. Not really an issue since I do no gaming, but it handles HD video and the like really well, IMO. It didn't come with a full Microsoft Office package, however. Hey, I'm happy with it, since the prior machine was a 900 Mhz Celeron machine with a 20 Gb Seagate HD and 512 MB of the old RAM I don't recall the exact spec of, other than the front side bus was only 100 MhZ...
Old 12-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #26
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Brother, if built and fixed far too many computers to count. The guys recommending the Lenovos are on track. Lenovos are a decent build that'll do just about all home pc, moderate level operations. Taxing tasks will take a shade longer but you may never do those tasks.

HP's have been good for awhile as well. Noticing less and less issues with them. You can hit their site and "build your own" to get the right price.

Essentially for light duty you can get away with an Intel i3 processor. I've always been a fan of AMD and some serious deals can be had if you head down that Road.

PM me for software ideas.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #27
BnBTobacco

You might want to drop by Best Buy. I bought my Toshiba for $400. My Dell which is about 3 years old broke last month and I got a Mac.