Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough
Default The Cigar gods are angry with me...

So after buying a few cigars at the Navy Exchange, and finding them dry and tasteless. I decided to make a trip the AF base to see if they had a decent humidor. When I walked in the humidor was standing open, but the Hygrometer read 61rh 71f. Not ideal but better than the NEX where the hygrometer's battery was dead and god only knows what the conditions were in there.

I picked up 2 AF 8-5-8, a Cuesta-Rey #95, AF curly head, and Brick-House Toro. Then I went to grab an "El Baton" that had "Cigar Afficianado rated 91" on it. When I picked it up I noticed it was riddled with holes, as were several others in that box as well as the box adjacent to it (Also El Baton). I read a thread a few days ago about bugs and had no problems identifying tobacco beetles (Thanks CA). The things had eaten through the cellophane and all. I let the nice lady behind the counter know she had a problem and removed the offending boxes from the humidor for her. But I went ahead and bought the ones I had already picked out after I made sure they werent infested, on the outside anyway.

Was that a bad move? Im almost afraid to smoke these now, I only bought five and I'll have em smoked by Sunday probably so I'm not too worried about freezing them to kill the bugs, but should I have bought them at all? I don't want to be smoking a cigar and hear that wonderful "POP!" that you get when some insect gets set on fire and explodes. I'd prolly toss my cookies right then and there.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: The Cigar gods are angry with me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
So after buying a few cigars at the Navy Exchange, and finding them dry and tasteless. I decided to make a trip the AF base to see if they had a decent humidor. When I walked in the humidor was standing open, but the Hygrometer read 61rh 71f. Not ideal but better than the NEX where the hygrometer's battery was dead and god only knows what the conditions were in there.

I picked up 2 AF 8-5-8, a Cuesta-Rey #95, AF curly head, and Brick-House Toro. Then I went to grab an "El Baton" that had "Cigar Afficianado rated 91" on it. When I picked it up I noticed it was riddled with holes, as were several others in that box as well as the box adjacent to it (Also El Baton). I read a thread a few days ago about bugs and had no problems identifying tobacco beetles (Thanks CA). The things had eaten through the cellophane and all. I let the nice lady behind the counter know she had a problem and removed the offending boxes from the humidor for her. But I went ahead and bought the ones I had already picked out after I made sure they werent infested, on the outside anyway.

Was that a bad move? Im almost afraid to smoke these now, I only bought five and I'll have em smoked by Sunday probably so I'm not too worried about freezing them to kill the bugs, but should I have bought them at all? I don't want to be smoking a cigar and hear that wonderful "POP!" that you get when some insect gets set on fire and explodes. I'd prolly toss my cookies right then and there.
Freezer
Old 03-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Freezer
No dice. A freezer is a great solution if you're planning on storing them long term. But you're going to smoke them before the week's end, so just smoke them, and don't get sticks in that condition next time. Also, don't put them in with any other sticks you may have for now.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #4
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

So I should have just steered clear of that humidor? I've read up on beetles but can't seem to find anything about how fast they spread through a humidor.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Sounds like you don't have much choice unless you start to mail order. I wouldn't write them off just yet.

If you go in again, be sure to inspect what you are buying carefully. Then keep them separate from your other stored cigars and freeze if you plan on keeping them a while. The beetles could have started to hatch in transit to the shop so the they could just be a victim of circumstance too.

The conditions you found sound good, to me. Ready to smoke right out of the humidor.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
dannyboy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (31)
Trinidad
dannyboy will become famous soon enough

Those conditions seem OK as far as rh and temp go. Hawaii can be tough with the beetles, since most places can get into the 80's daily unless there is climate control (not always the case in many places). I used to keep my cigars in a desktop and found one cigar with a beetle hole - went right out and got a small vinotemp for temperature control. I now keep a close eye on my sticks and have them in locations that stay cool. Beetles can also appear in a box here or there and not spread to the other boxes. So long as the cigars you bought have no holes, you should be ok since you are not storing them for a long period.

When you live in Hawaii, mail order is the way to go. Cigar International, New Havana, Corona, etc have always been good to me and I usually get the cigars within a week of ordering. Also, check out the cigar shops around town, I know there is one by the convention center right next to the Ala Moana hotel and if you pm jdakine, he can point you to a couple others that are good. Taxes are high, and thus so are the prices, but knowledgable staff, proper storage conditions, and a good selections of singles to try may be worth the extra investment.

If you are ever on Maui, let me know, we herf a couple times every week and would enjoy having you.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
If you are ever on Maui, let me know, we herf a couple times every week and would enjoy having you.
I'm assuming that he could just swim or boat there eh? I mean how close are these islands.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Trading: (37)
Montecristo
BamBam will become famous soon enoughBamBam will become famous soon enough

Read this thread by Silverfox, follow the instructions and you will have no worries.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ience+freezing

I have used it on my entire collection because of increasing temperatures in the summer in my humi, and fortunately have never had an outbreak.

As far as the RH at 61% and the temp at 71 F, I wouldn't worry about that. I store my entire collection at 65%, and have heard of some storing them at around 60% or even as low as the high 50%s (less than 60% would make me a little nervous though).

Hope it helps.
BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #9
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Don't concern yourself with smoking beetle infested cigars,it add flavor
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Don't concern yourself with smoking beetle infested cigars,it add flavor
Not to mention a bit of protein to your diet.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

As you smoke, listen for little POPs...no, I am not kidding. You will be fine, though.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

Okie Dokie then, thanks guys. I smoked the Cuesta Rey last night and nothing weird happened, it was surprisingly good, really mild, but good. I plan on buyin online I'm just not there yet. Still figuring out what I like before I start buying lots of cigars. I pretty much just buy it then smoke it at this point. Which is expensive in Hawaii except for the military stores. I wish the NEX humidor was in good condition, thy have a huge selection.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you just manned up and smoked them. Like the guys said, it won't hurt you a bit. What you really want to be concerned about is bringing the bugs to your stocked humi, then leaving it unattended and hot. That's like a beetle factory.
The whole beetle thing gets blown way out of proportion, much like lots of things. Shaun's article is a good read, and it'll take the scare out for ya.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
As you smoke, listen for little POPs...no, I am not kidding. You will be fine, though.
And if you get a few beetles bursting all at the same time...

T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

I think I'm gonna go outta my way not to listen to the little pops. "Mmm what's that fricasseed beetle innard flavor on the back of my palate."
Old 03-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #16
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (2)
Partagas
Aero95 will become famous soon enough

Have you joined the newbie sampler trade yet? You would definitely get great smokes that have been taken care of.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #17
BloodSpite
He Who Dares...WINS!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
HdM Army (Disabled Vet)
BloodSpite is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Must be a Navy or AF thing. In the Army we ate bugs
BloodSpite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
mariogolbee

Quote:
So I should have just steered clear of that humidor? I've read up on beetles but can't seem to find anything about how fast they spread through a humidor.
By that condition I mean with holes in them. You don't need to steer clear of the retailer per se, I simply suggest not purchasing sticks with apparent beetle damage.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #19
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

I hit my quota of bugs from the galley food. If can keep from eating or inhaling bugs I definately will .

I didn't buy any of the ones with holes, I just pulled a punch out and gave them to the chick behind the counter.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #20
mariogolbee

Quote:
I didn't buy any of the ones with holes, I just pulled a punch out and gave them to the chick behind the counter.
You should be all set then. I guess the cigar gods have shined on you after all.