Old 02-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #21
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation
Default Re: Braun wins appeal

This would have been interesting.....

"He and his lawyers, sources say, offered a DNA sample that could have been compared to the urine sample to determine whether the urine came from Braun. It was a bold move by Braun attorneys David Cornwell and Christopher Lyons. But instead of agreeing to a DNA test that would have determined conclusively whether it was Braun's urine that tested positive, MLB declined the offer. The refusal to agree to the DNA test likely pushed the arbitrator toward a ruling for Braun. It was also a major first step for Braun in the effort to clear his name. He and his attorneys can now argue that he was clean and that MLB deliberately denied him the opportunity to prove that scientifically"
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #22
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinlc View Post
This would have been interesting.....

"He and his lawyers, sources say, offered a DNA sample that could have been compared to the urine sample to determine whether the urine came from Braun. It was a bold move by Braun attorneys David Cornwell and Christopher Lyons. But instead of agreeing to a DNA test that would have determined conclusively whether it was Braun's urine that tested positive, MLB declined the offer. The refusal to agree to the DNA test likely pushed the arbitrator toward a ruling for Braun. It was also a major first step for Braun in the effort to clear his name. He and his attorneys can now argue that he was clean and that MLB deliberately denied him the opportunity to prove that scientifically"
Didn't the MLB agree to the DNA test after they at first declined? I thought the ball was back in Braun's court and his party declined.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Didn't the MLB agree to the DNA test after they at first declined? I thought the ball was back in Braun's court and his party declined.
Looks like a little more to that story

Sources also told Munson that there was doubt over whose urine was actually being tested. Braun offered to take a DNA test to confirm whose urine was in the sample, but Major League Baseball declined. However, an MLB source told ESPN's Mike Golic that Braun's side backed off of the offer to take a DNA test.
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #24
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

MLB's stance is that you can't fight the results, just the process. It's tough to decide what you're challenging if you agree to a DNA test. They'd have to admit that the result was in question, and their stance is that they'll never do that.
That's a guess, but I can see where it'd be difficult to decide if they'd accept a DNA test, it opens up a big can of worms. They're better off losing than letting every single player challenge the autheticity of the tests.
Now that this came up, I bet it's addressed in the next CBA.
As a player, I'd want a DNA test on the sample to make sure it was my pee.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by never_enough View Post
More power to him for finding a hole in the system. Now it can be fixed for future potential offenders.

That's just it, and the reason MLB should, IMHO, challenge this in federal court to get the decision overturned. From now on, every player will seek whatever loopholes he can find, or construct, to avoid the consequences of his poor choices.

Don't get me wrong . . . I'm not saying Braun is guilty, and skated on a mere technicality (though that second part is certainly true). What I am saying is that the matter of guilt or innocence should be determined by the truth, and not the facts. There is a difference.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #26
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
That's just it, and the reason MLB should, IMHO, challenge this in federal court to get the decision overturned. From now on, every player will seek whatever loopholes he can find, or construct, to avoid the consequences of his poor choices.

Don't get me wrong . . . I'm not saying Braun is guilty, and skated on a mere technicality (though that second part is certainly true). What I am saying is that the matter of guilt or innocence should be determined by the truth, and not the facts. There is a difference.
I agree with your logic, regardless of guilt in this particular case.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #27
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Does anyone know what the test result actually came up positive for (other than elevated testosterone levels)? There are so many banned substances on the list now that it's getting to the point of ridiculousness. I think we're all pretty sure that Braun is not injecting like the boys did in the 90s.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #28
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Does anyone know what the test result actually came up positive for (other than elevated testosterone levels)? There are so many banned substances on the list now that it's getting to the point of ridiculousness. I think we're all pretty sure that Braun is not injecting like the boys did in the 90s.
Yeah, but something like bat speed is hard to measure. He could have easily increased his bat speed and no one would know unless they were gunning his bat at a game.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #29
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Chesse curds. I'm going with cheese curds.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #30
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Chesse curds. I'm going with cheese curds.

Cheese curds with a boost of testosterone.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote