Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #1
MagicDrop
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
MagicDrop is on a distinguished road
Default Questions all over the place!

I just bought an entirely new set up! The Humidor is a 3 shelf glass display humidor shelves can be displayed at 45 degrees! I also picked up a humicare adjustable hygrometer and 1/2 point of heartfelt beads.
So here are my questions. Currently seasoning my humidor and calibrating my hygrometer, doing both the new one and the one in my old desktop! Been 14 hours of test new one showing 65% and old one showing 76% question is, putting in 2 doesn't mess up the test does it? I would assume no but just want to be sure.
Now onto the humidor set up. My plan is to pull the floral foam out of the rectangular one they give you and fill with beads, then filling my crystal jar with some beads for my small humidor and what's left over will go in a stocking and left under the bottom shelf? The hydrometer will be put on the inside of the top so it won't be seen and the rectangle now filled with beads will be put on the bottom of one of the shelves so it will only be seen from behind! Is there any reason this would give me bad readings or cause the humidity to not circulate properly since a small part of the shelving holes will be covered?
MagicDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice
Default Re: Questions all over the place!

I dont see a problem with the two hygrometers other than the reading discrepancy. I would salt test the new one to make sure it is calibrated correctly. Depending on the size of the new humidor you may or may not have enough beads and or need a circulation fan. You also may want to check the seals around the glass to make sure you arent bleeding all your humidity out to the rest of the room.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I have two of those glass 3 shelf display humidors.
I tore one completely apart and sealed it up because I could read a newspaper through the cracks.
Prior to fixing the one, which I've still never used since I fixed it, I ran a humidifier in each one and had 3 pounds of beads built into the back of the display shelf I built.

Guys, help me with the name of those little electric humidifiers, will ya?
Oasis, maybe? But I had the blue ones from CI in there.

Point being, don't sweat it, brother.
That's a paper thin spanish cedar veneer. The shelves are the only thing you're really seasoning, and there's really not enough wood in them to worry too hard.
They'll take up a couple drops of water, max.

I hope it works out for you a lot better than they did me. Sincerely.
If you have troubles, just ask for help!!!
Old 08-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Guys, help me with the name of those little electric humidifiers, will ya?
Oasis, maybe? But I had the blue ones from CI in there.
That's a Hydra being sold under the name Humi-Care. Hydra designed & builds them, CI has an exclusive deal where rather than the white plastic that Hydra normally uses, the machines are built in blue and they slap the "Humi-Care" name (one of CI's many trademarks) on them. The machines are 100% identical except for the color.

Cigar Oasis is a different company entirely. Most of their stuff is maroon in color, although I think there might be a few new ones in sliver & black.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #5
MagicDrop
Still Watching My Back

I am testing both hygrometers and they are coming up with those 2 numbers. What is the number during a salt test I have read it should read 70 and in other places 75?I'm
I did the dollar bill test on the new humidor and everything is tight as far as I can see.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

75% Here's a primer: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/c...e/29/salt-test
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
MagicDrop
Still Watching My Back

Ok so then the 1 is 1% high and the other I can adjust. Thank you
Old 08-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Has the test run 24 hours?
Old 08-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
MagicDrop
Still Watching My Back

18 hours. The paperwork that comes with the hygrometer says 12 hours the link above says more then 8 but I can leave it in a bit longer to get to 24
Old 08-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #10
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicDrop View Post
18 hours. The paperwork that comes with the hygrometer says 12 hours the link above says more then 8 but I can leave it in a bit longer to get to 24
The time isn't related to the hygrometer. If you do the test in a larger container, it will take longer. It also depends on how much of the salt mixture is in there. You need to just keep going until the measurement stops changing.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #11
MagicDrop
Still Watching My Back

It's in a 8"x8" ziplock bag the salt is in a soda cap and it hasn't changed all day. Guess I can calibrate the one that's adjustable and just remember to subtract 1 from the one that isn't!