Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #1061
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Official MMA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
Just in case you have trouble taking Diego Sanchez seriously, I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_8WJzhsow

I like the shot of him meditating. Was it hard to clear your mind, Diego? LOL
I invented the Yes Cartwheel

I like Diego but damn that is stupid
Old 12-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #1062
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

People complain about Dana White and some complain about M-1 and why Fedor hasn't been signed by the UFC and every now and then info comes out that shows I wouldn't sign the #1 HW either. The M-1 fighter Mousasi has in his Strikeforce contract that he does not fight on any card that does not feature Fedor. WTF! So before the match makers can even ponder a matchup between Hendo and Mousasi you must first know if Fedor is excepting a fight.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #1063
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
I invented the Yes Cartwheel

I like Diego but damn that is stupid
I'm going to tryand establish myself as the focus wizard behind the Yes Cartwheel and completely undermine Sanchez's efforts...
Old 12-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #1064
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Diego is really big into Tony Robbins the motivational speaker dude. That is where the "yes" comes from. That's why he keeps yelling "YES!" over and over on his way to the ring before fights.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carlos Condit injury forces cancellation of UFC 108 bout

After weeks of searching for a main event for the first event of 2010, the UFC has now lost a planned co-feature bout for UFC 108.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from a source close to Carlos Condit (24-5 MMA, 1-1 UFC) that the "Natural Born Killer" has suffered an injury in training and has been forced to withdraw from a main-card bout with British slugger Paul Daley (22-8-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC).

No word yet on whether the UFC will seek a replacement opponent for Daley at the Jan. 2 event.

Word has arrived..................

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somebody up there likes Dustin Hazelett.

The UFC welterweight wore disappointment when Karo Parisyan withdrew from their fight at UFC 106 last month, but said he trusted God's plan and everything happened for a reason.

He was spot on.

Multiple sources informed MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday that Hazelett will step in for an injured Carlos Condit to face Paul Daley in the co-main event of UFC 108, which takes place Jan. 2 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRAINER: LESNAR RECOVERING FROM DIVERTICULITIS

Brock Lesnar’s head coach is telling him to rest and relax, whether he likes it or not.

Greg Nelson, a two-time cancer survivor who leads Lesnar’s fight camps along with Erik Paulson and Marty Morgan, said the UFC heavyweight champ is still recovering from a severe case of diverticulitis (an infection in the digestive tract), but wants to get back into the gym.

Last Friday, UFC president Dana White sent a Twitter message that Lesnar was "still VERY sick" and the promotion was "unsure about his future."

Nelson, who recently returned from teaching several seminars in Spain, gave an update to MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday afternoon. He declined comment on a potential interim heavyweight title posed by White in recent weeks.

MMAWeekly: What’s the latest on Brock?

Nelson: He’s feeling much better, but he’s still on the mend and not really doing any kind of major training.

MMAWeekly: Is he out of bed?

Nelson: Yeah, he’s walking around and moving around. He’s not ready to jump into that cage, that’s for sure at this point. But he’s got his new baby, so it’s time for him to hang out with his son and his daughter, get some quality time on that end of life.

MMAWeekly: Did he ever go to the Mayo Clinic?

Nelson: No, he never went there.

MMAWeekly: But the final diagnosis was diverticulitis?

Nelson: Yeah, that was pretty much the deal, and everything that goes on with that.

MMAWeekly: As far as you know, when do you think he’s going to be able to start training again?

Nelson: I’m not 100-percent sure right now. We’re not really pushing it right now. We’re just letting things take their course so he can be 100-percent healthy when he starts to train. He’ll probably start lifting weights to get his strength built up and do the exercise bike when he starts to get going, and shadowbox when he gets to feel better. But right now, he’s just taking the time to properly heal.

He’s real anxious of course, but that’s the worst thing you can do, is jump up and start going too quick and then break down again. It’s more of a burden for him to sit at home and not work out, but that’s the thing he has to do right now.

MMAWeekly: So you’ve advised him to take it easy?

Nelson: Mentally, he wants to get back in there. He wants to jump in. You get a guy like that who’s used to being able to do whatever and moving around and train, throw hay around, whatever he wants to do, then you’re stuck inside your house... that’s tough. Mentally, it’s tough.

MMAWeekly: Has he talked to you about how his day-to-day life is now?

Nelson: Not really. He’s not a guy to jump on the phone and start talking to you.

MMAWeekly: How often do you talk to him?

Nelson: I think I talked to him a couple weeks ago, and I hear stuff if Marty’s talked to him or one of the other guys has talked to him. He’s one of those guys, if he wants to pick up the phone and talk to you, he’ll pick up the phone and talk to you. But generally, he’s one of these guys who likes his privacy.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #1065
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Picks:
Penn vs Sanchez - Can't stand either, though Sanchez has never claimed to be prepared to die in the cage only to quit in the middle of the fight.
Mir vs Kongo - Kongo lacks silverback strength and ground skill
Fitch vs Pierce - Hope to see Fitch KO'd
Florian vs Guida - should be a 3rd sprint
Buentello vs Struve - He's a freakin' head hunter, look at his name.

I'd really love to see this on network TV.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #1066
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Picks:
Penn vs Sanchez - Can't stand either, though Sanchez has never claimed to be prepared to die in the cage only to quit in the middle of the fight.
Mir vs Kongo - Kongo lacks silverback strength and ground skill
Fitch vs Pierce - Hope to see Fitch KO'd
Florian vs Guida - should be a 3rd sprint
Buentello vs Struve - He's a freakin' head hunter, look at his name.

I'd really love to see this on network TV.
Just find a free stream. They are everywhere.

I like Penn, Kongo just because I can't stand Murr, Fitch, Florian and Buentello. Looks like a great card.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

UFC to cut Houston Alexander following "Kimbo Slice" loss

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – Houston Alexander faltered when it mattered most, and now the UFC veteran will soon receive his walking papers from the organization.

UFC president Dana White today told a small group of reporters at the UFC 107 pre-event press conference that Alexander, who recently dropped a lackluster unanimous decision to Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson, has been cut from the UFC.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since confirmed the process hasn't been completed but soon will be.

"I was going to leave," White said of Ferguson vs. Alexander. "I was going to get up and walk out of the fight. That's what I thought of it. If I didn't have to hand out 'The Ultimate Fighter' trophy at the end (of the event), I would have left that night. It wasn't a good night for me."

While complimenting Ferguson for a legit career win, White also compared Alexander to former UFC fighter Kalib Starnes, who was cut in 2008 following a bizarre loss to Nate Quarry. Starnes, who later said he was injured prior to the bout, continually backpeddled in the fight, which he lost via blowout scores of 30-26, 30-27 and 30-24.

"As disgusted as I was with Houston Alexander's performance, Kimbo beat a real guy," White said. "The last thing I expected was for Houston Alexander to come in and do the Kalib Starnes."

White said he never discussed his displeasure with the fighter.

"I don't even want to talk to him," he said. "Houston had an opportunity to – ahh, anyway."

White: Brock may need more surgery

I found this posted on Sherdog today.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar is still fighting a case of diverticulitis, a painful intestinal condition that has been affecting him for over a year, and could require more surgery, according to UFC President Dana White.

White, fielding questions from reporters Thursday following the UFC 107 press conference, assessed the situation, acknowledging that Lesnar is still not out of the woods health-wise.

“They figured it out, so the question now is, he’s either going to need major surgery or he’s not and we won’t know for the next couple months,” said White.

White said he had no timetable for the 32-year-old champion’s return.

“It could be forever,” said White. “We won’t know for the next couple months, Obviously, I’m hoping that’s not the case, as I’m sure all of you are, but we’ll see what happens.”

The 6-foot-3, 280-pound fighter had been hospitalized for 11 days last November in North Dakota, where he underwent tests and “minor surgery” before being released to his home in Alexandria, Minn.

Greg Nelson, Lesnar’s primary trainer, told MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday that Lesnar was “on the mend” and hadn’t begun training again, though the fighter was anxious to.

“He believes he’s going to come back and he’s confident and positive and he’s in a much better place than he was when he was in the hospital,” said White on Thursday.

The loss, temporary or otherwise, of the company’s biggest pay-per-view star can’t be a pleasant thought for the world’s top MMA promotion. While they wait for the news on Lesnar, the UFC must also figure out what they are going to do with the top of their rapidly improving heavyweight division.

White said it is still to early to decide if an interim title is warranted at this point.

“We still gotta wait here a little bit and see what’s going to happen to him -- maybe he can come back, maybe he can’t, I don’t know -- we’ve got to see what happens to him first. I’m going to wait and see if he has to have this major surgery first before I make any big decisions,” said White.

Matt Hughes Vs Renzo Gracie likely for UFC 112

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- When Matt Hughes announced on his Web site last week that he’d be fighting on April 10, the 36-year-old Illinois native did not divulge whom he would be squaring off with or where UFC 112 would be held. However, the former welterweight champion has been long rumored to be facing Renzo Gracie, 42, who reportedly signed a six-fight contract with the promotion recently.

When Dana White was asked Thursday if the Hughes-Gracie bout would he held in Abu Dhabi –- a location White recently scouted himself –- the UFC President answered cryptically.

“Sounds good to me,” he said, smiling broadly.

Asked about making that match, White noted that he respects a lot of fighters in the sport and implied that not every UFC fight has to have title implications.

“There’s this whole beef over Renzo choking out Pat Miletich (Hughes’ mentor) and sometimes it’s more than just; sometimes guys just want to fight and Renzo’s been training, he wants to fight Matt Hughes and Matt Hughes wants to fight him,” said White.

Bobby Lashley Signs With Strikeforce

Former World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) heavyweight champion and undefeated mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Bobby Lashley has signed a multi-year agreement with STRIKEFORCE and will make his debut for the world championship MMA promotion at BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla., on Saturday, January 30.

The 6-foot-3 inch, 250-pound Lashley, also a former collegiate wrestling star for Missouri Valley College and member of The United States Army, will face an opponent that has not yet been determined during the live SHOWTIME® telecast of STRIKEFORCE: Miami, the historic, first-ever STRIKEFORCE event in the state of Florida.

In his last MMA start on June 27, 2009, the 33-year-old pulverized and scored a first round (3:17) TKO over 6-foot-5 inch, 350-plus-pound goliath Bob “The Beast” Sapp with a barrage of punches in Biloxi, Miss. The win upped Lashley’s MMA record to 4-0.

“I’m looking forward to fighting for STRIKEFORCE and challenging myself by taking on some of the top heavyweights in MMA,” said Lashley, a native of Junction City, Kan., and resident of Denver, Colo.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Injuries are starting to take their toll in UFC.

Tyson Griffin out of UFC 108

When it rains, it pours.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the promotion that the UFC has lost another featured fighter in its first event of 2010.

Lightweight contender Tyson Griffin (14-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) has suffered an undisclosed injury in training and has been forced to withdraw from his "UFC 108: Evans vs. Silva" main-card bout with Jim Miller (15-2 MMA, 4-1 UFC).

An exact timetable for Griffin's return has not been established, though the 25-year-old's manager, Tom Call, said he doesn't expect his fighter to be out for long.

"Tyson sustained an injury that would prevent him from training for the fight in January," Call said. "We don't expect it to keep him out too long. However, he was unable to train and be properly prepared for January.

"Tyson is particularly disappointed as he has never had to pull out of a fight in his entire career. But we are very comfortable that this is the right decision."

The UFC is expected to seek a replacement opponent for Miller.

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 12-11-2009 at 12:58 PM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #1067
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

UFC 107 Weigh In Results

Below are the official weigh-in results for Saturday’s UFC 107 event. UFC 107, which is headlined by the UFC lightweight championship bout between BJ Penn and Diego Sanchez and the heavyweight clash between Frank Mir and Cheick Kongo, airs live on Pay-Per-View from the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tennessee beginning at 10pm ET / 7pm PT.

Diego Sanchez (154.5*) VS BJ Penn (155)
Cheick Kongo (239) VS Frank Mir (264.5)
Clay Guida (156) VS Kenny Florian (156)
Stefan Struve (247) VS Paul Buentello (255)
Mike Pierce (171) VS Jon Fitch (171)

***Wilson Gouveia (193) VS Alan Belcher (195)
Shane Nelson (156) VS Matt Wiman (156)
Ricardo Funch (171) VS Johny Hendricks (171)
Lucio Linhares (185) VS Rousimar Palhares (186)
Edgar Garcia (171**) VS Damarques Johnson (171)
TJ Grant (171) VS Kevin Burns (171)

*Sanchez made weight on his second attempt, after an initial weigh-in at 156 pounds.
**Garcia made weight on his second attempt, after an initial weigh-in at 173 pounds.
***Gouveia and Belcher will fight at a catchweight of 195 pounds

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean Sherk promoted to "UFC 108: Evans vs. Silva" main card

With Tyson Griffin forced to withdraw from his UFC 108 bout due to inury, Sean Sherk (33-4-1 MMA, 7-4 UFC) has been selected as Jim Miller's new opponent.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed the switch with sources close to the event after MMAWeekly.com initially reported the move.

Sherk had been expected to face Rafaello Oliveira (9-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) on the evening's prelims. The UFC is expected to now seek a replacement opponent for Oliveira.

St-Pierre vs. Hardy official for UFC 111

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – British slugger Dan Hardy (23-6 MMA, 4-0 UFC) knew he earned a shot at UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (19-2 MMA, 13-2 UFC) by defeating Mike Swick at November's UFC 105 event.

Now he knows the date.

At today's UFC Fight Club Q&A session in Memphis, Tenn., UFC broadcaster Mike Goldberg said he had confirmed with UFC matchmaker Joe Silva that St-Pierre and Hardy will meet at an as-yet-unannounced event on March 27 in Newark, N.J.

The event is expected to be dubbed UFC 111 and take place at the Prudential Center.

Goldberg shared the news prior to Hardy taking the stage to field questions from UFC Fight Club members.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #1068
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
UFC 107 Weigh In Results
British slugger Dan Hardy (23-6 MMA, 4-0 UFC) knew he earned a shot at UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (19-2 MMA, 13-2 UFC) by defeating Mike Swick at November's UFC 105 event.
Lol "earned" - funny.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #1069
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

Go BJ!
Old 12-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #1070
SkinsFanLarry

Frank Mir looked totally awesome!

BJ put on a clinic and beat the chit out of the nightmare!!
Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #1071
kayaker

Missed the fights because a dinner party turned into a great drunk.

Read the pbp's. Sounds like a couple of exciting fights in there.

Will have to look them up when I'm sober again...
Old 12-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #1072
BORIStheBLADE
_

Bolivar

Ya Mir was there to win for sure.

BJ worked Sanchez. Sanchez didn't have anything for BJ.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:27 PM   #1073
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanLarry View Post
Frank Mir looked totally awesome!

BJ put on a clinic and beat the chit out of the nightmare!!
Yep. Penn is in a class by himself. That cut on Diego's head was nice. Brought back memories of mine, except mine was twice as long. Diego looked like he got hit by a bus at the end of the fight. Ken-Flo looked really good too.

I still hate Murr.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #1074
BORIStheBLADE
_

Bolivar

I think at the rate their going they should let Clay Guida fight Penn next.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #1075
coastietech

Quote:
UFC to cut Houston Alexander following "Kimbo Slice" loss

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – Houston Alexander faltered when it mattered most, and now the UFC veteran will soon receive his walking papers from the organization.

UFC president Dana White today told a small group of reporters at the UFC 107 pre-event press conference that Alexander, who recently dropped a lackluster unanimous decision to Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson, has been cut from the UFC.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since confirmed the process hasn't been completed but soon will be.

"I was going to leave," White said of Ferguson vs. Alexander. "I was going to get up and walk out of the fight. That's what I thought of it. If I didn't have to hand out 'The Ultimate Fighter' trophy at the end (of the event), I would have left that night. It wasn't a good night for me."

While complimenting Ferguson for a legit career win, White also compared Alexander to former UFC fighter Kalib Starnes, who was cut in 2008 following a bizarre loss to Nate Quarry. Starnes, who later said he was injured prior to the bout, continually backpeddled in the fight, which he lost via blowout scores of 30-26, 30-27 and 30-24.

"As disgusted as I was with Houston Alexander's performance, Kimbo beat a real guy," White said. "The last thing I expected was for Houston Alexander to come in and do the Kalib Starnes."

White said he never discussed his displeasure with the fighter.

"I don't even want to talk to him," he said. "Houston had an opportunity to – ahh, anyway."
This is ridiculous. He's gonna cut Houston because of one bad fight... Every other fight he's looked great.

He had a good opponent that had lots of power and he knew he wouldn't have survived a slug fest. Is the UFC really that afraid to admit that Kimbo can fight. He has come along way from the backyard brawler he once was. He still has a very weak ground game, but in time it will be better. Kimbo could have a real career in the UFC if he continues to expand as a fighter like he has.

The UFC doesn't have a lot of quality fighters left so to cut one of your good fighters because of an off night seems kind of ridiculous to me. Seems like Dana is gonna cut his nose despite his face.

Like I've said before the UFC had it's 5 mins of fame and I believe it's all down hill from here.

It's not competitive like it once was. No one right now can beat BJ Penn, no one right now can beat GSP, no one right now can beat Silva, and no one right now beat Brock (because he can't fight and because there aren't any real contenders in his weight class.) Almost all the weight classes and there aren't any decent challengers. Seems like the cards keep getting filled with repeat bouts or bouts that aren't that exciting. I mean think about it the most hyped fight in UFC is the fight between coaches of TUF and the best Dana can come up with is Lidell vs Tito! Really!!!

The UFC is at a stalemate and it doesn't seem like they are trying to get the caliber fighters they need to get out of it. Just my
Old 12-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #1076
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Houston has lost 4 of his last 5. I don't think it's a big surprise he was cut. The UFC has a history of cutting fighters that don't win. Unless they are one of Dana's "boys". I think he would have been better off brawling instead of that weak azz game plan he used.

UFC 107 draws 13,896 attendees for, over $1.5 mil gate

The UFC's second-ever trip to Tennessee and first-ever to Memphis delivered on in-cage action, and a reported 13,896 fans came to the FedExForum to witness the events.

UFC president Dana White said at the event's post-fight press conference that "UFC 107: Penn vs. Sanchez" also delivered "over $1.5 million" at the gate.

The official numbers will be certified next week by the Tennessee Athletic Commission.

Featuring a main event between lightweight champion B.J. Penn and top challenger Diego Sanchez, UFC 107 featured the first title fight in the UFC since Lyoto Machida narrowly edged Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 104 in October.

With several of the organization's champions sidelined due to a variety of injuries, the next date a belt is scheduled for defense is the recently confirmed UFC 111 bout between welterweight title holder Georges St-Pierre and British slugger Dan Hardy on March 27.

The attendance figure marks a sharp increase from the UFC's first-ever visit to Tennessee in April. "UFC Fight Night 18: Condit vs. Kampmann" on April 1 drew 10,267 fans to the Sommet Center for a $626,066 live gate, though the organization's "Fight Night" events traditionally draw smaller crowds than the pay-per-view spectacle.

UFC 107 fighter bonuses

Alan Belcher, Wilson Gouveia, T.J. Grant and DaMarques Johnson each earned $65,000 fight-night bonuses for their performances at Saturday's "UFC 107: Penn vs. Sanchez" event.

Belcher and Gouveia both earned "Fight of the Night" honors, while Johnson earned the "Submission of the Night" bonus and Grant earned the "Knockout of the Night" award. All four fighters competed on the evening's preliminary card.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) learned of the awards in the post-fight press conference, which followed UFC 107 at FedExForum in Memphis, Tenn.

Offended by being relegated to the evening's preliminary card despite fighting in his hometown, Belcher came out with a purpose. Swinging from the fences early, Belcher put himself in harm's way while going for broke against Brazilian slugger Wilson Gouveia. The strategy paid off, and Belcher earned an impressive TKO win. But with both fighters trading in the pocket during the entertaining one-round fight, each cashed an extra checj for the evening's "Fight of the Night.

"The Ultimate Fighter 9" finalist Johnson snatched the evening's "Submission of the Night" after nearly falling victim to a slick hold from opponent Edgar Garcia. After fighting off an early Peruvian necktie that appeared destined to end the fight, Johnson worked free and landed a slick triangle choke of his own. The whole process took just four minutes, and the Johnson earned the hefty bonus in addition to his first official UFC win.

The evening's "Knockout of the Night" also took place on the preliminary cards as Grant battled back from a tough position to secure the honors. After being dropped early and defending a flurry of punches, Grant returned to his feet and delivered a crushing right hand. A few follow-up punches secured the finish, but the initial blow is what certainly earned Grant the honors and the extra check.

Dong Hyun Kim withdraws from UFC 110

Undefeated Korean welterweight Dong Hyun Kim (12-0-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) has been forced to withdraw from a planned UFC 110 bout with Chris Lytle (27-17-5 MMA, 6-9 UFC).

Kim's apparent knee injury was first reported by AOL FanHouse, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since verified the report.

UFC 110, which is already a sell-out, takes place Sunday, Feb. 21 at Acer Arena in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. With the time difference, the show will air on pay-per-view in the U.S. live on Saturday, Feb. 20.

A replacement for Kim wasn't immediately known, but Lytle is expected to remain on the card.

More Injuries

At some point, even UFC matchmaker Joe Silva has to just laugh.

The "curse" of UFC 108, the most injury plagued event in the company's history, continues as late Saturday night the organization lost another fighter from the card. Heavy handed slugger Rory Markham (16-5 MMA, 1-1 UFC) was forced to bow out of the Jan. 2 event in Las Vegas with a knee injury suffered in training.

Markham had been scheduled to face Danish striker Martin Kampmann (15-3 MMA, 6-2 UFC) on what was sure to be a preliminary card barnburner at MGM Grand Garden Arena.

News of the change was first reported by Sherdog.com's Greg Savage via his Twitter account, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since been able to confirm Markham's withdrawal from sources close to the promotion.

No timetable has been set for Markham's return, and a replacement opponent for Kampmann has yet to be secured.

Here is a good look at the cut in Diego's head.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #1077
zitro_joe
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (16)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
zitro_joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastietech View Post
This is ridiculous. He's gonna cut Houston because of one bad fight... Every other fight he's looked great.

He had a good opponent that had lots of power and he knew he wouldn't have survived a slug fest. Is the UFC really that afraid to admit that Kimbo can fight. He has come along way from the backyard brawler he once was. He still has a very weak ground game, but in time it will be better. Kimbo could have a real career in the UFC if he continues to expand as a fighter like he has.

The UFC doesn't have a lot of quality fighters left so to cut one of your good fighters because of an off night seems kind of ridiculous to me. Seems like Dana is gonna cut his nose despite his face.

Like I've said before the UFC had it's 5 mins of fame and I believe it's all down hill from here.

It's not competitive like it once was. No one right now can beat BJ Penn, no one right now can beat GSP, no one right now can beat Silva, and no one right now beat Brock (because he can't fight and because there aren't any real contenders in his weight class.) Almost all the weight classes and there aren't any decent challengers. Seems like the cards keep getting filled with repeat bouts or bouts that aren't that exciting. I mean think about it the most hyped fight in UFC is the fight between coaches of TUF and the best Dana can come up with is Lidell vs Tito! Really!!!

The UFC is at a stalemate and it doesn't seem like they are trying to get the caliber fighters they need to get out of it. Just my
are you serious? Dude was cut from the UFC and brought back to FIGHT (not run). He did did pull a Kalib, and Kalib was released too. Houston is a power puncher but would get worked as a boxer. He is pure brawler and he did not even do that. He was dropped, If he pulls a string of wins, he may be back. That has happened plenty of time, They did that for Jesse Taylor. He lost and then he was released. Again.

Not competive....Okay so they dont have Fedor, Mousasi, or Henderson. Those are the only two that I can see Possibly making a run inthe UFC. There are plenty of good fighters not in the UFC. But not many would be a serious threat, IMO.

This past card was great, everyone fame win by fighting, not the scorecard.
zitro_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #1078
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

YES! YES! YES!..................oh no!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prangley Out!

Robbie Lawler went nearly a year between bouts his last time out, and is currently six months between fights, hoping that Strikeforce can find him a new opponent by Saturday night.

Lawler learned today that Trevor Prangley, who was a replacement for his initial opponent, Benji Radach, has had to withdraw from Strikeforce: Evolution due to an undisclosed injury.

The news was first reported by Sherdog.com, and independently confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by Strikeforce executive Mike Afromowitz.

No replacement has been named.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #1079
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Dang, I got a shiver up my spine just now looking at that CUT!!
Wa-howwww.
THe people here in Memphis were really pleased by the event's outcome and even more pleased that we were able to
host it. I understand the ticket prices were high, but well under the usual price at casino-resort type venues. There were
some sports radio guys who were not too excited about going, basically saying that they do not follow the circuit
and would rather watch actual boxing. They all came in Monday and apologized and gushed like the cut over that
dude's eye about how great it was. The production value, the ambience and atmosphere, the turnout, the money spent in the
community. Win, Win, Win. I will have to read this thread more in depth to see what the fans thought. But I guarantee that
Memphis will be jostling to get another crack at hosting one of these.

Having the ability to walk 300 feet from FedEx Forum to Beale Street ain't exactly a minus, either, lol.

Last edited by OLS; 12-15-2009 at 12:36 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #1080
Steelergar

This is a dead horse but I finally watched the Kimbo fight today, I think if that would have went another round Alexander would have TKO'd Kimbo he definently didn't deserve to be cut. And so what if he used a strategy of using footwork and angles against Kimbo, from what I understand he usually bull rushes people. Dana isn't happy unless the fighters stand still and try to punch eachothers heads off like a video game. Who cares what that failed boxer thinks anyway.