Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Stargate: Universe

http://www.syfy.com/universe/
Syfy, Friday night Oct 2, @9pm

Ok, anyone else pumped for this thing?

Yes, the acting looks B grade...
Yes, the preview failed to make me like ANY of the main characters...

but hey, that's what rabbid fanboys are for!! So I still can't wait.... I just hope it manages to do better than my expectations.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Stargate: Universe

I'm excited. Hopefully it'll be on Hulu for all of us college fanboys!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

There's always BT tomorrow *whistles innocently*
But I'll take hulu tonight.... PLEASE!!!!
No cable TV for me....
Old 10-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

DAMNIT!!!

I friggin had syfy with my "basic" cable package all along, and didnt realize it.... and of course now we're 25 minutes into the pilot, so I gotta be a good boy and wait till TOMORROW to watch it!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
warpedcigars
Warehouse Smoking

Trading: (11)
warpedcigars is on a distinguished road

Nothing will ever SG-1, period. And im talking before Richard Dean Anderson left. Once that happened it kinda went to hell.

Not gonna bother watching the new series.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedcigars View Post
Nothing will ever SG-1, period. And im talking before Richard Dean Anderson left. Once that happened it kinda went to hell.

Not gonna bother watching the new series.
Can't argue much with that. Though I did grow to like the new guy in SG-1 (with time). Last few seasons tho....

Funniest ep EVER: Te'lc and RDA golfing through the gate.

SG-A was... blah, I watched, but not regularly.

SG-U... looks almost like their going for a Battlestar Galactica type of show.... same kind of "human storys" and filming (at least from the 15 minutes I watched). I hope its not true.. cause I could never get into BSG
Old 10-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Though I did grow to like the new guy in SG-1 (with time).
I was a Farscape fan, so it was cool to see Browder (and Claudia Black) in a new role.
Quote:
Funniest ep EVER: Te'lc and RDA golfing through the gate.
"In the MIDDLE of my BACKSWING?!"
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
"In the MIDDLE of my BACKSWING?!"
Posted via Mobile Device
Brings a smile to my face even now. Priceless.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

I really enjoyed SG:U last night. It was good to see O'Neil and Carter. I wished they would have worked Teal'c in and more Daniel Jackson though.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I enjoyed SG1 when Browder and Black came on board. They brought a new life to the show and a new energy, yeah it was similar to Farscape when they signed on but it was good.

Stargate: Atlantis was similar to Star Trek Voyager to me. It wasn't good or bad, it just was. I saw a few episodes here and there and it never blew me away but it wasn't all bad either.

SG:U has potential to be a very good show once we get familiar with the characters.
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

finally got to watch it. I'll give it a shot... but damn, about the only thing that reminds me of the old Stargate series is the fact that they use round gate thingys.... take those out and it wouldnt even resemble Stargate! REALLY reminds me of BSG type film and storytelling. dark, gritty, less focus on the cool alien races and more focus on people bickering and scheming amongst themselves. I really hope that subsides a bit...
Old 10-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Perhaps I'll watch it tomorrow if it on hulu.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Its re-running tomorrow on Syfy at 9am and 11pm
Old 10-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Perhaps I'll watch it tomorrow if it on hulu.
It is on hulu. I watched today and I liked it. Especially since Lou Diamond Phillips didn't have a major role. Alot of character development in the first episode so it does tend to move a little slow but a show is best when it's character driven, imo.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #14
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Slower character development can allow for a long running series if the show can draw the audience. I personally enjoyed it but then again I liked SG1 SGA BSG and Farscape. The only thing I haven' been able to relate to Stargate is Babylon 5
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Just watched it last night. I have an "iffy" feeling about it, but I'll continue to watch. I enjoy most of the characters, but I feel like Rush is a bit apathetic imho. Anyone else agree?
Old 10-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #16
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Just watched it last night. I have an "iffy" feeling about it, but I'll continue to watch. I enjoy most of the characters, but I feel like Rush is a bit apathetic imho. Anyone else agree?
yeah... but some people react that way in times of stress. Some people ACTUALLY can keep a cool head, analyze things logically, and even run down the list of survivors deciding in an analytical fashion who is most expendable to to close the door. I find more than anyone, Rush is the guy I can relate to, because I would totally be the guy everyone hated for making those kinds of impartial judgement calls. The "we're here, so shut the **** up and deal with it" kind of stuff.

Frankly, if Rush wasnt there I would probably abandon the show right now. Everyone else has NO sense of reality and does nothing but whine.. rush is the balance to that, so folks don't tire of the whiners too quickly. (because whiners make much better dram/storytelling, you just have to make sure people can stomach them....)
Old 10-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #17
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
yeah... but some people react that way in times of stress. Some people ACTUALLY can keep a cool head, analyze things logically, and even run down the list of survivors deciding in an analytical fashion who is most expendable to to close the door. I find more than anyone, Rush is the guy I can relate to, because I would totally be the guy everyone hated for making those kinds of impartial judgement calls. The "we're here, so shut the **** up and deal with it" kind of stuff.

Frankly, if Rush wasnt there I would probably abandon the show right now. Everyone else has NO sense of reality and does nothing but whine.. rush is the balance to that, so folks don't tire of the whiners too quickly. (because whiners make much better dram/storytelling, you just have to make sure people can stomach them....)
Ha, well that's a good way to look at it. I'd definitely be a whiner! LOL Like I said, I'll continue to watch it, but imho this SG doesnt feel like the SG I know.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #18
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Ha, well that's a good way to look at it. I'd definitely be a whiner! LOL Like I said, I'll continue to watch it, but imho this SG doesnt feel like the SG I know.
like I said before, take out the gate and it wouldnt even be SG! (and rename the ship builder something else). But, we'll give em a little time and see what happens. I can tell you there's gonna be a big falling out (already) tomorrow, since 10-1 odds say that Rush never talked to Jack, and somebody is gonna find out..... (plus it fits with the whole strife and contention theme... I swear, this is BSG with a stargate theme to it....)
Old 10-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #19
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
like I said before, take out the gate and it wouldnt even be SG! (and rename the ship builder something else). But, we'll give em a little time and see what happens. I can tell you there's gonna be a big falling out (already) tomorrow, since 10-1 odds say that Rush never talked to Jack, and somebody is gonna find out..... (plus it fits with the whole strife and contention theme... I swear, this is BSG with a stargate theme to it....)
I agree. Jack never seemed the type to put his faith into one of the brainy, non-military types. ( I mean look at how he dealed with Daniel Jackson in the beginning).

My two favorite characters are Eli (?) and the Lieutenant guy....
Old 10-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #20
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
He seems like a Dr. Smith from Lost In Space type character to me. He seems nice on the outside but his ambition rules him. And the show could almost be a Lost In Space 2010.

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 10-05-2009 at 09:45 AM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote