Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default Good smelling tobacco?

I got a pipe sampler kit off CI awhile back and was expecting some good things. However, all three of the blends just taste kinda burnt/dry and the aroma is god awful. I've been keeping them in glass masonry jars with a boveda that my B&M had for pipe tobacco so they should be good still.

The 3 tobaccos I have:
Captain Black Light
Davidoff Red
Erinmore

Just wondering if maybe the tobaccos are supposed to be like that? I got into pipe smoking because every time i've been around a pipe smoker the aroma from their pipe was wonderful and it got me curious about it. So far I have just been disappointed.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: Good smelling tobacco?

You may be thinking of an aromatic as far as the "room note" goes. That I have no experience in and can only tell you what you can research. As far as smell and taste go I have found that they are not connected. Usually what I have found is the funky smelling tobaccos (Virginias and Virginia and Perique) taste wonderful to me. The room note also smells like burning socks at times but the flavor is good. Check out tobaccoreviews.com, that might lead you in the right direction.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
hazydat620
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chad(choad, schoad)
Trading: (10)
hazydat620 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Good smelling tobacco?

you don't need the boveda packs in your mason jars, the tobacco will be just fine without it. aromatics will usually start to taste ashy after awhile, unless we're talking Steven Books's aro's cause those are a different level aro. Captain black Royal in a MM pony is a wonderful combo for OTC. Is that Erinmore flake or mixture? I didn't like mix. like you said blah, but I heard it used to be diff. before Murray got his hands on it. If you want good room note and you want to taste what you smell in the bag, grab some G.H. Ennerdale, tasty stuff, but get a seperate pipe, it ghosts.PM if you want to try some things.