Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road
Default My First Time Wetshaving :)

Hey Guys-
After reading the wetshaving thread you guys got me very interested. Before now I have always used regular disposables or electronic shaver. Anyways, today I decided to go to Sally's because all of the other stores I checked did not have them. They had one with a plastic handle, so for my first razor this is what I got, along with 5 Personna blades. Well, while I was shaving I found it to be very painful. Not the kind of pain from hairs ripping out, but just the feeling of the the blade running across my skin in general. The blades seem very sharp and everything. Does anyone have this happen to them before, maybe I did something wrong, or maybe it is just my skin is not used to it? Thank you in advance!
Tommy
Old 06-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: My First Time Wetshaving :)

Shaving with single or double edge razor takes more technique than scraping a disposable across your face. Check out Mantic59's videos on youtube. Also If you seriously want to try this out you'll want to pick up a better razor, either a Merkur, or vintage Gillette. I can personally recommend WestCoastShaving.com & VintageBladesLLC.com. Also skip over to BadgerAndBlade.com the guys there are friendly and always ready to help out a new wet shaver.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
junkinduck
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Don
Trading: (2)
junkinduck is on a distinguished road

Excuse me while I climb onto my soap box.

I have a merkur that I rarely use. I went to the straight razor about four years ago and haven't looked back.
1) Good prep is as important as lighting a cigar to smoke it.
2) Angle is everything in straight or DE shaving
3) Stretch the skin to make it taught
4) I make two passes WTG and ATG
5) use a good soap or cream, a can and a sink is not wet shaving. I like CO Bigelow from bath and body also love The Gentlemans Quarter from Colleen in West Virgina. I like a badger brush but a boar brush will work..
6) a cold rinse and a good after shave are also very important.

If you are interested in the straight razor look into Straight Razor Place.

Don

Last edited by junkinduck; 06-12-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: can't spell
junkinduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much guys!
Old 06-13-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Hmmm...I've always hated shaving, with an electric, or disposable blades....might have to look into this...
Old 06-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Hmmm...I've always hated shaving, with an electric, or disposable blades....might have to look into this...
You should, Marc. It changed the way I feel about shaving. I have super sensitive skin, and all that was remedied by switching to DE shaving.

I definitely cannot go against the grain like some of you can I don't know how ya'll do it.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

A good shaving soap or cream, along with a decent badger hair brush makes all the difference in the world and isn't that expensive. Although many spend quite a bit for their brushes, I use a relatively inexpensive one and am quite happy with it.

You can keep it simple and grab a DE blade, soap/cream and brush and have a great shave. Or you can make it a new hobby and really invest in an assortment of stuff. I keep it simple and invest in cigars.
Ashcan Bill is online now   Reply With Quote