Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
Bad Finger

Default Hispaniola El Trabuco 1844 Review

Cigar: Hispaniola El Trabuco 1844

Size: 5.5in x 55mm

Vitola: Belicoso

Filler: Dominican Republic

Binder: Unknown

Wrapper: Havano Rosado Vuelta Arriba

Price: $324.00 USD per box of 20 / $16.00 each

Individual Weight: 18.3g

Press Release: “The expert and novice smokers will enjoy the rich texture and aroma of Hispaniola “El Trabuco 1844”. A natural cigar rolled by expert’s hands, defining new standards of quality and excellence. El Trabuco 1844 is named to commemorate the war of 1844, which led to the Dominican Republic’s independence.”

Pre-Light: I have been looking forward to this review ever since receiving our samples from Hispaniola. Their CEO, Hugo Melo, had been nice enough to gift us some of his wonderful blends recently, and we are wasting no time reviewing these babies. There are very few cigars that I’ve seen that could be considered more attractive than this one. Form the flawless wrapper and perfect construction, to the elegant banding; this cigar carries with it a sense of class and luxury. Even turning the cigar around presents a perfect banding with no excessive pectin left on the cigar wrapper. This puppy looks perfect other than two slight veins that are running length of the cigar. Smelling the body presents an aroma of sweet butterscotch and cream, while the foot brings a bit of spice to the nose, with a Virginia-esque essence found in pipe tobaccos.

1/3rd: The initial puffs bring tastes of sweetened and creamed coffee in with a woodiness that is followed by more cream and a slight nutty butter flavor. Spiced rum flavors start to pop up on the back of the throat along with a bit of spicy heat on the tongue as well. The cigar is bringing loads of woody flavors nearing the 1 inch mark, and dousing them with crests of spice. The cigar is burning completely even and has a very solid and salt and pepper colored ash.

½ Way: As I reach the halfway point, the woodiness that has dominated the flavor profile so far is joined by a rich nuttiness. The burn has stayed even the entire way, and the cigar has not gotten even a bit soft yet. The ash is now nearing the 3 inch mark, and doesn’t show any signs of falling yet. The flavors have stayed consistent the entire way through the cigar so far.

Final 3rd: An underlying leatheriness has come to pass coming into the final third. The woodiness is still the dominant flavor and the spice has all but disappeared completely. A slight lemongrass flavor starts to come through nearing the end of the cigar. It is pleasant and unassuming, but the cigar never really had many more than three flavors apparent at any given time. The tastes that were presented however have been extremely tasty and wonderful to the palette.

Final Thoughts: While a fantastic cigar by any standard, this blend did not offer much complexity in its flavors. If you are looking for a woody and cream flavor profile with a fair bit of spice, I would highly recommend this cigar. While pricing may keep some folks from trying this cigar, I say is one of the best medium bodied smokes I’ve had that fall under the “woody” classification.

For the pictures and final score, visit The Daily Tobacconist