Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #221
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ask The Rabbi!!

Wow, the Rabbi is a Red Sox Fan in enemy territory
Youkilis is a hard working guy and a clutch player, he should get some consideration again as MVP
Old 05-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #222
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade06 View Post

You mentioned earlier that Jews are expected to marry only other Jews, but is it true that Jews are encouraged to "practice" with non-Jews. I think there is even a Jewish term for such "practice." I'm hoping this is not too controversial of a topic?
G-d forbid. There is no such thing.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #223
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Rabi, I want to apologize for my comment I made a few days back, it wasn't made to offend anyone. So again, I am sorry. But here is my question...
Is there a difference from the Christian God and the Jewish Yahweh? Yahweh is just another name for God correct?
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #224
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikihut27 View Post
Rabbi- thanks for the info and for being a good sport. I've learned a lot from reading your answers.

My question re this answer:

Do the Israeli Armed Forces adhere to this policy? What if it's an emergency? What if the Soldier doesn't want to stay home?

Might be outside your lane, I realize...
The Israeli Government does not, unfortunately, yet, abide by the Torah and Jewish Law. They are almost completely secular and have no inherent 'holiness' as a theocracy.

The law itself is applied differently depending on the type of war.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #225
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
Rabi, I want to apologize for my comment I made a few days back, it wasn't made to offend anyone. So again, I am sorry. But here is my question...
Is there a difference from the Christian God and the Jewish Yahweh? Yahweh is just another name for God correct?
Firstly, no one should be apologizing to me. I have no issues. I'm just answering 'em as they come in, shining some light and havin' fun...

Secondly, you question is kinda moot. That is not a name used for G-d in any truly Jewish context.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #226
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

It's been a pretty wild week, I hope everyone enjoyed and learned something...

I am off for Shabbos, have a good one!!
Old 05-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #227
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHagen View Post
It's been a pretty wild week, I hope everyone enjoyed and learned something...

Have a Good Shabbos, Rav. See ya Saturday night.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #228
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Much respect to those who are defending our liberties and the freedoms of this great country at home and abroad, and to those who have served, on this Memorial Day. May G-d protect you. Thank you for all you do.

Rabs
Old 05-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #229
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Much respect to those who are defending our liberties and the freedoms of this great country at home and abroad, and to those who have served, on this Memorial Day. May G-d protect you. Thank you for all you do.

Rabs
x2!
Old 05-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #230
ehdg
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (6)
ehdg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Now this I find very interesting, I'd always considered it that only the Rabbi and Cantor work on Shabbos being as it is their job to lead the congregation and the Cantor's job to sing and pray in hebrew for those that can't in a way. Though I guess technically it's not work but a labor of love/calling.
ehdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #231
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
Now this I find very interesting, I'd always considered it that only the Rabbi and Cantor work on Shabbos being as it is their job to lead the congregation and the Cantor's job to sing and pray in hebrew for those that can't in a way. Though I guess technically it's not work but a labor of love/calling.
I still don't get paid for Shabbos, or any other day. I raise all of the funds through donation for my organization.

The definition of "work" on Shabbos is clearly defined in the Torah. There are 39 specific tasks (and those associated with them) that were forbidden to do in the Mishkan (Tabernacle) and later in the Beit Hamikdash (Holy Temple) on Shabbos. These laborious activities are what we, as Jews, are forbidden to do on Shabbos.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #232
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

No one has anymore questions??!! C'mon Everyone!
Rememeber, if you want to ask a question anonymously, or if it deals with a sensitive subject, feel free to PM the Rabbi!!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #233
Churchlady

I've forgotten my remedial hebrew... what does mitzvot mean?
Thanks for being so open - I'd be waay to afraid to do Ask the churchlady! You've got real Chutzpah!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #234
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchlady View Post
Thanks for being so open - I'd be waay to afraid to do Ask the churchlady! You've got real Chutzpah!
I'm not the Rabbi, or the Churchlady for that matter, but I can answer this one...

From Wikipedia:
Mitzvah (Hebrew: מצווה, IPA: [ˈmɪtsvə], "commandment"; plural, mitzvos or mitzvot; from צוה, tzavah, "command") is a word used in Judaism to refer to the 613 commandments given in the Torah and the seven rabbinic commandments instituted later for a total of 620. The term can also refer to the fulfilment of a mitzvah.

The term mitzvah has also come to express an act of human kindness. According to the teachings of Judaism, all moral laws are, or are derived from, divine commandments.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #235
BillyCigars

Okay, another question: (and thanks again in advance!!)

If Judaism doesn't embrace an "afterlife", how is Samuel's appearance during the seance between King Saul and the witch at Endor explained? Samuel seemed really unhappy that he was "disturbed". If he was disturbed (and unhappy about it), wouldn't it indicate that he was *aware* that he was dead? Since awareness of death would seem to indicate more than just "ceasing to exist", I'm curious as to how this is resolved.

Thanks!!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #236
nozero

Question Re: Ask The Rabbi!!

My wife purchased a replacement wedding ring; I've lost two others, for my last birthday. It says "כִּי אֶל-אֲשֶׁר תֵּלְכִי אֵלֵךְ". My Hebrew is poor at best and I've forgotten how to read some of the letters and vowels. The ring lettering does not include the vowels, I found what I posted above using Google searches. I found that it comes from the book of Ruth, where Ruth replied: 'Entreat me not to leave thee, and to return from following after thee; for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge; thy people shall be my people, and thy G-d my G-d".

Can you provide me with a transliteration to help me learn how to pronouce it correctly?

TIA,
Michael
Old 05-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #237
MadAl
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
SLR
MadAl is on a distinguished road

I have a question, Rabbi. In Chaydar, I learned that the name of G-d is never to be spoken, not even in prayer. We learned to recognize the name of the Lord and substitue Adonai or HaShem. Yet it seems to have become commonplace, even vogue, to use that name we deem too holy to say.

Have the rules changed?
MadAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #238
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCigars View Post

If Judaism doesn't embrace an "afterlife", how is Samuel's appearance during the seance between King Saul and the witch at Endor explained? Samuel seemed really unhappy that he was "disturbed". If he was disturbed (and unhappy about it), wouldn't it indicate that he was *aware* that he was dead? Since awareness of death would seem to indicate more than just "ceasing to exist", I'm curious as to how this is resolved.

Thanks!!
This question interests me.

Speaking of the witch of Endor, was she the reason for all those daggum Ewoks that ruined Return of the Jedi?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #239
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchlady View Post
You can find this answer above. In short....

Mitzvot means Commandment, loosely used as an act of goodness and kindness, but specifically a Divine Command. Emptomologically related to the hebrew word Tzvtzah meaning connection - so by doing a Mitzvah you are connecting to G-d
Old 05-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #240
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCigars View Post

Thanks!!
We DO embrace an afterlife for the soul. Torah and especially mystical Judaism describes this at length and in detail.