Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about
Default San Lotano Oval

The excitement around the cigar up for review today would be deafening if the internet could scream. The San Lotano Oval from AJ Fernandez has been reviewed now on many sites and I have personally heard from a few fellow cigar bloggers that this cigar could be their #1 cigar of the year. Those are some big words because I know these guys pretty well and I know they smoke A LOT of different cigars. These cigars are being made at AJ's factory Tabacalera Fernandez in Estelí, Nicaragua, just like the rest of his San Lotano line.

A quote from the AJ Fernandez website: The prestigious San Lotano Oval from AJ Fernandez presents in a highly unique oval shape. The key to an enhanced smoking experience: ultra-premium aged tobacco. The new Oval affords a truly distinguished balance like no other.

I was pretty excited to try this cigar, having heard so much about it. Now, on to the review:

Specifics
Vitola: Robusto Extra
Length: 5.5
Ring Gauge: 52
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaragua, Honduras, AJ Fernandez Secret Filler
Price: $8.30
Smoking Location: New Havana Cigars
Beverage: Water

Pre-Light
The San Lotano Oval is just that -- an oval. I honestly didn't think this would be that different than the typical round shape of a cigar, but when held, it does feel kind of weird. My cigar was heavily packed and had some significant weight to it. The wrapper was a medium brown color with some veins that were much lighter (almost white) in color. The veins looked like cracks in the wrapper because they were such a different color, but there were no cracks. The pre-lit aroma had some almond scents mixed with a woody characteristic. The cold draw was nice and free, tasting of sweet, natural tobacco.

First Third
Lighting up my San Lotano Oval took a significant amount of time because, like I said, this stick was jam-packed full of tobacco. Once I got a nice burn going, the initial flavors were a bit rough. I got some unrefined white pepper on the front with a leathery, almost waxy flavor on the finish. The finish also left some unpleasant harshness on the back of my throat. At this point, I was confused as to why so many people were praising this cigar so highly because I was not enjoying it at all. The positives, however, were the construction and the draw. I was able to pull lots of smoke form the cigar without much effort and the burn was nice and straight. The ash is also worth mentioning because it was solid as a rock and held on well over an inch. The cigar strength fell in the medium range.

Second Third
The second third of my San Lotano was completely different then the first third, and I have to say that I'm glad it was, because I was debating putting this cigar down. The rough starting flavors changed into a more balanced woodiness on the front with a polished peppery spice on the finish. The finish was very clean and lacked all harshness from before. Again, the construction was perfect and the draw excellent. I found that if I really wanted to wake my taste buds up, I could push a little bit of the smoke through my sinuses and it created a strong zing of pepper. At this point I'd put the cigar in the medium to lower full range in strength.

Final Third and Final Thoughts
The final third of my San Lotano Oval was the same as the second third with maybe just a bit more balance going on between the wood flavor and the spice. I had commented to my smoking partner that this was a very smoothly smoking portion of the cigar and he agreed. Getting down to the nub, the strength of the cigar picked up even more and I would definitely rank it full strength. Even with the unconventional shape, the cigar never needed any relighting and was easy to smoke.

My final thoughts on the San Lotano Oval? I'm glad I didn't let the harsh start to the cigar turn me off right away because once I was past it, I had a great experience. The balance and smoothness of this cigar is what really shines and makes me think that quite a bit of testing went into this stick to get it just right. If anyone else gets a rough start to one of these, just give it time. I think you will enjoy what it turns out to be.

Would I buy it again? Yes I would buy more of these.

Would I buy a box? This is a box worthy cigar. I'd love to see what some age does to them.

for more pictures please visit http://tinyurl.com/d7zzp78

Dan
Old 11-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Lotano Oval

Thanks for sharing Dan. Another stick I've been on the lookout for.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
kickerb

is this oval shape different from say a box press? the pictures to me show what looks like a Viaje C-4 which is a box press.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I had one of these and I really enjoyed it.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
danreeve
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
is this oval shape different from say a box press? the pictures to me show what looks like a Viaje C-4 which is a box press.
it is hard to describe. Is squished like a box press, but still rounded.

Dan
Old 11-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Grabbed a few of each size from cigars.com...thanks Dan.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Great review Dan...I believe I have on hidden somewhere in my humi that I may need to break out and try now!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Excellent review Dan What was the smoking time on this cigar for you?

Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #9
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review and your experience mirrors mine. I picked up a 10 pack and did enjoy them, but have to admit not as much as the other San Latano sticks I've had. My first was the Habana and that, to me, was much better. The Habano was my first from this line and I loved it. Like you said, great burn and lots of smoke; somehow just left me disappointed (the Oval). I would not have said that at all from the several Habano's I've tried.

Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #10
danreeve
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Excellent review Dan What was the smoking time on this cigar for you?

I would guess it was around an hour and 1/2
Old 11-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreeve View Post
I would guess it was around an hour and 1/2
Old 11-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

nice review, was not familiar with these before reading your post
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jim "Chappy"
Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough

Been wanting to try these. Still looking for one here in Hawaii. One more shop to check
Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: john
Trading: (0)
racerX is on a distinguished road

Bump because I'm having one now - I really like it. Maybe it's my hummi but it's just the right sponge feeling from a well made stick.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:11 AM   #15
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

btw,what happen to cigar explorer?
seems there is no update since 17/9/2012
Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
danreeve
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbum View Post
btw,what happen to cigar explorer?
seems there is no update since 17/9/2012
Thanks for asking!

Cigar Explorer is/was actually owned by 2 guys, and I was the third who did all the writing and camera interviews. One of the guys (Mario) now works for Drew Estate. Me (Dan) now works for Cigar Press Magazine. The third guy (nelson) has all the rights to the website. Or so I think that's how him and Mario worked it out. I'm not sure what his plan for it is.

I love writing for Cigar Press but I also miss writing reviews online. We're planning a bunch of new stuff at Cigar Press so you might see more of my reviews back online in the near future.

Dan
Old 04-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #17
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

I've had a few of these and I really like them. I try to keep a couple on hand at all times.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
mcjoe

It may cost a bit more, but it is definitely worth it... wish i can have one soon. i think this one is not locally available in cigar shops.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #19
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Love these cigars!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #20
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

They are a pleasant change of pace from the strong peppery smokes I prefer.